Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this bike recently with only 12,000 miles. Exterior is in excellent condition, but I noticed a slight knock or tick from the engine when first starting it, it seems to go away when warmed up, so I figured it was maybe in the Timing Chain or Valve Lash. But one day, while still cold, the Clutch grabbed and then slipped, making almost a griding noise. After that, the noise was gone, even though still cold. I believe the noise is in the Wet Clutch. Can I access it from the side cover to inspect it and see what's happening in there after draining the oil? What special tools if any will i need?

·
Banned
21 Posts
the ticking is the Automatic Cam Chain Tensioners the only permanant fix for this is getting as set of manual tensioners from TOC Manufacturing... kinda spendy at 50 bucks a pop... but guaranteed to fix the noise with out ever coming back.. ever...

second issue is your Clutch.. we call this the coffee grinder... no 100% cure, although the best thing to do is let the bike warm up for about 3-5 minutes before taking off, having the bike warm makes the clutch issue go away. another option with mixed results is to drill the clutch for better performance... I personally haven't done this, cause it scares the heck outta me to do it. also another variable is the type and weight of oil you are using... 10w40 is the recommended weight according to both the VN750.com Forum members and by the book.

you want a lot of good information go to VN750.com and look at the verses... lots of good read info for a new VN750 owner.

the clutch is inspectable through the right hand cover. no special tools needed to look at it... take it apart you need a bolt... can't remember the thread pitch.. i just remember its 18 mm diameter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Slim, you were right about it being the cam chain that was making the noise. It was coming from the forward cylinder, so I took out the factory tensioner on it and it was sticking a little. I cleaned it up, took the tension off, reinstalled it and fired up the bike! The Tensioner clicked twice (ratcheted) and that was it! No more sound of any kind! Now all is very smooth.

I've learn to be careful not to over do it on the clutch while cold, so it's not given me any further issue either. Thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts