Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting old and blind and the owners manual just doesn't give much info so would some one tell me where this danged thing is located, i have not been able to find it.
thanks

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bowzer,, ez there boy.. it dont get better as you get older and they keep taking things away.. dang burn kids.. always playing jokes, trying to get back for all those years of messin with their heads.
ok, so that little water bottle behind and tranny on the right side is 'spose to be where you fill and read level. good f luck, you ol terd. 'spose you could put a stik in there and get some measure of fullness.?
the way it works is that when the coolant is heated it expands and forces extra liquid into that bottle. the feed being at the bottom any air would be vented and when the coolant system retracted when cool, it would suck additional fluid from the bottle back into the system.

or get a flashlight?

·
Registered
102 Posts
hi,yes very hard to tell level.the level tube gets dirty and is totally useless.the method i use is a small plastic tube about 1/4" in diameter and slowly feed it into the coolant bottle while blowing into it.you will hear bubbles when you hit the fluid.mark the tube at that point and use it as a gauge on the out side.accurate and much quicker than this took to write.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Getting old and blind and the owners manual just doesn't give much info so would some one tell me where this danged thing is located, i have not been able to find it.
thanks
Mine is the same. Can't see SH#!%! through the tube.
Get yourself a white tye-wrap and carefully insert it and pull it out .
Works for me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Mine is the same. Can't see SH#!%! through the tube.
Get yourself a white tye-wrap and carefully insert it and pull it out .
Works for me.
Hey Paul, I like your idea of checking the coolant level. How far up on the tie-wrap should the coolant level be? I know I'm low, but since the "clear" tube is useless for checking the level, I don't know how much to add to get it up to the right level.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Usually, with a flashlight and poking the sight glass tube at various locations with your finger, you can see where the level is as it moves up/down in the tube when it's squished. Just did it this AM.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Usually, with a flashlight and poking the sight glass tube at various locations with your finger, you can see where the level is as it moves up/down in the tube when it's squished. Just did it this AM.
Yep, just did the same thing after I posted and then I topped it off to the full mark. I then stuck a long tie wrap into the coolant tank until it hit bottom and the coolant came up 3" on the tie wrap. I gonna use this method to check it from now on instead of trying to see that friggin' sight glass :mad:.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I do the same thing, just use a thin rubber flexible tube and as long as there is about 3 inches or so showing wet when I pull it out - I'm good to go. The "sight" tube or whatever on the V2K is completely useless in my experience.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey Paul, I like your idea of checking the coolant level. How far up on the tie-wrap should the coolant level be? I know I'm low, but since the "clear" tube is useless for checking the level, I don't know how much to add to get it up to the right level.
On the side of the black plastic tank that the coolant goes into there is a mark ( line ) where your level should be. When you pull out the tye-wrap put it against that tank ( away from the pipes of course ) where the bottom of the tye-wrap will be level with the bottom of the tank. and gauge it from that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts