Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HOLY NUMB BUTT, BATMAN! The trip was only 84 miles; but the dang stock seat was beating me to a pulp about half way through it. Anyone know how to make the stock seat a bit more comfortable for CHEAP?

Thanks!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Not cheap,but probably better off with a different seat.Most bikes come with a poor OEM seat.With the exception of the Meanstreak,maybe.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not cheap,but probably better off with a different seat.Most bikes come with a poor OEM seat.With the exception of the Meanstreak,maybe.
Yeah, I know most bikes are not as comfortable as they should be out the door. The ride started off fine, but I had to start leaning forward to get the pressure off my tailbone. I don't have much natural padding back there anyways. I prolly need a solo seat or something more shallow. Whatever it is, I want a pillion for potential passengers.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
HOLY NUMB BUTT, BATMAN! The trip was only 84 miles; but the dang stock seat was beating me to a pulp about half way through it. Anyone know how to make the stock seat a bit more comfortable for CHEAP?

Thanks!
What about a seat rebuild? In March this year I sent my 1700 LT seat to Spencer at GreatDayToRide on a friends recommendation. On the stock seat frame he took out the factory cushion foam and stuffed it with far better materials and reshaped it a bit here and there. I sent the riders seat and the passenger seat.

The most complicated part was finding a box big enough to fit my rider & passenger seats and taking care of the shipping. Via UPS I sent it to to his place in Florida and got it back just five days later. Fassssssst.

I've since put about 1500 miles on this mod. Yesterday we did about 180 miles down to a state park. She liked it and so did I.

His work was under $100. Shipping was around $100 for both ways but you could do it for half that.

-Cheech

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about a seat rebuild? In March this year I sent my 1700 LT seat to Spencer at GreatDayToRide on a friends recommendation. On the stock seat frame he took out the factory cushion foam and stuffed it with far better materials and reshaped it a bit here and there. I sent the riders seat and the passenger seat.

The most complicated part was finding a box big enough to fit my rider & passenger seats and taking care of the shipping. Via UPS I sent it to to his place in Florida and got it back just five days later. Fassssssst.

I've since put about 1500 miles on this mod. Yesterday we did about 180 miles down to a state park. She liked it and so did I.

His work was under $100. Shipping was around $100 for both ways but you could do it for half that.

-Cheech
Well, that's a great idea! Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
i know its a lot of money, but if i only couldt change 1 thing on the 900 classic it wouldt still be to the mustang wide touring.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I second the Mustang seat. It was expensive, but made the ride more comfortable. On my new ride, I will be having a custom seat made. There is a local company that makes your seat with you, to your butt. It's 150 bucks for that and you ride out the same day with your new seat. That's what I am going to try this time around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I love my Mustang Daytripper (put about 300 miles on it this past weekend, not a ton, but enough to know it's awesome).

That being said, if you are looking for the super cheap, you could always try one of those gel pads that go on top of the seat. I used one on my sportster and it was alright. It's not going to give you the comfort of a good seat, but it is better than stock.

·
Registered
600 Posts

Thanks!
This works for me but the universal "cure" doesn't exist.......

·
Registered
125 Posts
i know its a lot of money, but if i only couldt change 1 thing on the 900 classic it wouldt still be to the mustang wide touring.
Ditto, since I gots a skinny butt and lower disc problems I knew within a very short time the stock seat had to go. I was fortunate and found a like new mustang wide tour on Craigslist and only spent about $220 including shipping.

·
BOTM Winner, August 2013
202 Posts
Is there anyone here who has a 2012 or older 900 classic and a newer one with the new seat? Just curious to hear a comparison on the two.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts