Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I showed my new 2016 Vaquero to a coworker at 11am, and got on it to ride home a little after 4pm. When I got home, I used spray detailer to clean off some light dust and dirt before putting the cover on.

While I was detailing, I noticed some good scratches on the engine guard, frame guard, and a tiny scratch on the floorboard on the right side (side opposite of the kickstand). Looked to be impact scratches. Also, there is a tiny scratch on the front brake lever. Fork was locked to the left.

No marks on the road in front of my house, so I rode back to work, and sure enough, there are black marks from the powdercoating on the ground. Measured, and they line up with the guards on the bike.

Nobody saw anything, of course, but a closer inspection of the bike did not reveal any damage to the left / kickstand side of the bike, so it appears some a**hole sat on my bike, stood it up, realized the fork was locked, and dumped it. Stood it back up, and walked away.

Hard to believe, since where it was parked is out in the open, and there were people working on the house I park at.

Point of the story: A zero-mph drop, and the only real damage is some scratches on those guards - good design by Kawasaki!

-John

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I would highly recommend an Alarm system. I installed my GORILLA ALARM a few years ago.
You can't see it at all because it's in the lower faring. It has a warning alarm if someone touches it too hard.
And of course a loud alarm from movement. It comes with a remote just like a car does.
I'll get you a link if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
That really bites. Any cameras pointed toward the parking lot? Hopefully someone will come forward but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David, yeah, send me a link to the alarm you got - I was gonna ask my m/c mechanic tonight to see what he recommends as well. I'm hoping to find an alarm that uses a proximity fob, like the *cough* Harley Davidson touring bikes *cough* have, where the bike senses the fob and disarms the alarm, and when you walk away, re-arms it.

Glenn, no cameras, and nobody has come forward. There are guys working on the house, and they say they didn't see anything.

Somebody royally messed up, and the next person I catch touching my bike is gonna catch hell.

It's a distinct lack of respect for others' property and a lack of personal responsibility.

Faith in humanity: Destroyed.

-John

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Get the Hilti nail gun and line the guys up against the house start at their feet and work your way up until someone fesses up.

Sorry man, some folks just have no respect for the property of others.
Sitting on my bike is one thing, if you ask and I am there, otherwise it's just like me coming into your house uninvited and plopping down on the couch.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Do not recall the name of my last alarm but it had a remote notice. It would make the remote vibrate and chirp if I was within 1/4 mile of the scoot. Get one of those types. It would notify me 15 seconds before the alarm on the scoot would go off. It also had the proximity function. Had it set if someone got within a couple feet of it, it would start doing it's thing by beeping slowly and then build up the tempo... But would have already notified me. Simple to install. I just can't remember the brand. Maybe Scorpio?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Hey John, here's a link to a Utube video of the Gorilla 7017 model.

I bought the 7007 model which doesn't have that fancy 2-way pager. Mine just has the hand held remote.
Has the same alarm as the other.

The one you talked about sounds good also but I bet it cost more money.
Please let us know what you do.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've compared the Gorilla and Scorpio alarms, and both seem good. The Scorpio is a 3-wire installation, the Gorilla is only 2 wires, but the Scorpio has hands-free RFID in the remote, so it automatically disarms when you approach the bike, re-arms when you leave it, which I like, because knowing me, I'd set off the alarm 100x haha.

Scorpio SR-I900: $329
Gorilla 9100: $180

I'll be meeting with my m/c mechanic tonight, like I said, and see if he has any recommendations.

Thanks,

-John

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Wow, guess I'm behind times. lol
I didn't know there was better models than the 7000 series.
Well good luck what ever you get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts