Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the Vulcan 900 Classic LT for a little over a year and just sold it. It was a great bike!

Now I'm looking for something used, a little sportier, under $5000, V-Twin.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Look for some used mean streaks.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
399 Posts
1600 Vulcan? Suzuki C90 not to sporty but tunable on the front end. Not many vtwins are sporty. Maybe RC-51

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
365 Posts
1600 Vulcan? Suzuki C90 not to sporty but tunable on the front end. Not many vtwins are sporty. Maybe RC-51

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
:eek:HUH? RC51 and, Superhawk, TL1000R/S, SV 1000, SV 650, Aprilia RSV, Tuono, Ducati Monster line, Ducati supersport line, Ducati Superbike line 748/749/848/916/996/998/1098, KTM 990 etc, Moto Guzzi, Buell and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

To the O.P., how sporty do you want to go?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bike sold.

So I had the Vulcan 900 Classic LT for a little over a year and just sold it. It was a great bike!

Any ideas?
May I ask what year your bike was and what you got for it?
Thanks
bearpawh

·
Registered
894 Posts
Suzuki M109 - About the sportiest V-Twin going, or a V-Max - About the ballsiest V-Twin going . . .

·
Registered
15 Posts

Any ideas?
Useful answers to your question depend totally on what "a little sportier" really means to you: what specifics attributes are you looking for in your next bike, how will you use/ride it, are you looking for bigger/smaller motor, etc, etc, etc...

Surprised nobody mentioned the most obvious choice- a Vulcan 900 Custom. It is certainly "a little sportier" than the Classics/LTs, exactly how much sportier would be a matter of opinion... or, in the dual-sport/sport touring direction, have you looked at the Suzook V-Stroms, the big 1000 and 650 "Wee-Strom"? They are great bikes, and you can probably find good used examples for <$5K if you shop around. Or, for "something completely different", you could look at a H-D V-Rod, it's definitely "a little sportier" than a Vulcan Classic... it's the only Harley w/ 4-valve heads (motor designed by Porsche) and modern suspension technology, although you'd probably have a VERY hard time finding a used one for < 5 large...

Clearly define your criteria, then shop the market to find what bikes match your needs & wants ... for bike technical reference info, Total Motorcycle is an excellent resource-

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/total-motorcycle-guides-resource-index.htm

Happy hunting! SH.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Not a cruiser, but definitely a V-Twin--consider a Suzuki VStrom, either the 650 or the 1000. Plenty of spunk and the handling is very sporty. I love my 650 and have no desire to have the 1000, although it has more torque and a bit higher top end. The only downside is the seat and stock windshield, both of which are easily replace with something you can live with and love. The engine is a 90 degree VTwin arrangement, also known as an L-Twin. That is, if you would consider something other than a classic styled cruiser.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
Suzuki M109 - About the sportiest V-Twin going, or a V-Max - About the ballsiest V-Twin going . . .
wrong on both counts.....im pretty sure the ducatis and the suzuki tl1000 are a bit sportier than a m109.....and the v-max is 1 v-4...not a twin

·
Registered
112 Posts
Has no one mentioned the MT-01? Is it not available where you are? I guess it might be out of your price range, but if you can find one I'd give it serious consideration. I had a test ride on one a year or so ago and it was one of the best half hours I've had on a bike. An air-cooled, pushrod 1670cc V-twin in a brilliant naked sportbike chassis ... sound ridiculous but it works beautifully.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you could always look for a used HondaCX650 Turbo
i't a VTwin but twisted..

Awesome bike.. to bad they only made them for 1 year..

·
Registered
430 Posts
I personally love the Triumph Thruxton... Cafe Racer style bike...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
24 Posts
I double that on the yamaha MT-01, its not a high revving motor but it is a sports bike chassis with a thumping big v twin motor with a lot of torque, its looks are a bit out there but a hell of a lot of fun and sounds incredible

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I found a deal I just couldn't pass up... Found a Honda 900rr fireblade! I'll settle for 130hp in a 4!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts