Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I sold my VN900 a few months back and as a result I really couldn't get the riding bug to settle and I've been researching other bikes and going for test rides and so on.

I ended up getting this:

It's a Kawasaki Ninja 1000, It's just a pleasure to ride!

I also just ordered this as well to go with the new purchase:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That has to be wicked fast! :eek:
That she is but I don't have a need to go that fast I just like knowing that I can if I want to, lol.

I chose the wild kawi green just because I figure if I'm going to get a Kawi sports bike of any kind I might as well go wild and get the crazy green. Maybe it'll make me more visible to others.

The night I bought her I had to ride an hour and a half back in a torrential down pour. It was disturbing at how fast I was able to ride in that much water and still be able to not only see but maneuver the bike.

I've since gone through and lubed everything back up and also re-lubed the chain as well.

When I got to my friends (farthest I was going to go that night) I dumped a pint of water or more out of each boot and was soaked head to toe.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Oh to be young and full of testosterone again !

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Well, nice bike. I like that green on a ninja much more than the vaquero. Safe travels.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh to be young and full of testosterone again !
LOL, I'm not that bad, well maybe sometimes but I actually sold the VN900 because the vibration in the upper RPMs actually caused the arthritis/damage in my ankle to really be agrivated and after a long ride it just hurt. This bike is far smoother and actually more comfortable to ride for me. It's still an upright seating position, the handle bars position is better for my jacked up wrist as well.

Yeah it's loaded with power but it is also loaded with comfort for me as well and that's where I frew the line in buying this bike.
:D YA :D

I just turned 58 and just for fun I went to the Kaw dealer and tried a sportbike. It was the Kaw 1400 !
:eek: OMG :eek:
That was one FAST bike !
Yep, that was fun but not for me ... :cool:
I liked the idea the concours 14 but that bike is just insane and massive. I have absolutely no need for 1400cc of motor. Granted I don't really need 1000cc of I4 motor as well but I just don't fit well enough on the smaller bikes.

Plus the adjustable windscreen is a cool bonus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's a real nice ride you got there! Enjoy it, and keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a real nice ride you got there! Enjoy it, and keep the shiny side up!
Thank you.

My new riding jacket just arrived today along with the tank protector. I will be riding a lot this weekend as it's going to be cooling down nice Friday so I will be taking her out for a few rides.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Jeff, is your new bike lighter than your previous 900? I'm 66 and riding a 1500 and finding that the bike seems heavy and harder to manuver, it's my age I know so looking for something lighter and smaller to ride, nothing fast, just lighter.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff, is your new bike lighter than your previous 900? I'm 66 and riding a 1500 and finding that the bike seems heavy and harder to manuver, it's my age I know so looking for something lighter and smaller to ride, nothing fast, just lighter.
well, it is a top heavy bike so IDK if that would be what you would want to deal with. The 1500 vulcan has the weight a lot lower but if you are talking being able to move the bike with your legs then it would probably be easier with the Ninja 1000.

The curb weight of the bike according to the Kawi site is 509.4lbs

While the vulcan 1500 is 644 for the classic model from what I could find.

Just keep in mind that the ninja 1000 has it's weight up a lot higher and will be top heavy, so keeping it straight up at a light or whatever will be key. Especially when maneuvering it around a parking space by foot. Also the steering is like any other sport bike, very limited compared to a cruiser, so it may take a lot of dancing to get it to be in the exact spot you want it to be.

Also with this bike the engine braking is pretty hard, so when slowing if you just let off the throttle you will be slowing rather fast.

Another point is the lean on the bike, it's about 14degrees of a forward lean. Most people might now like that as it will put a little weight on your wrists but certainly not nearly as bad as any super sport bike would be, they normally have a 40 degree lean angle.

And another point would be that unless you are a taller person it may be a little hard to touch the ground. I'm a big guy and right at 6foot but have about a 30-31 inseam. I can touch the ground Okay but a little more inseam wouldn't hurt, neither would loosing about 50 pounds either... but yeah.

So a few things for you to consider. I just want to make sure you know all the points compared to this bike vs what you might have with your current bike.

Other than that I truly love this bike and wouldn't trade it for anything right now. It fits me perfectly...

Oh and the 900 Classic was 619lbs roughly.

Your best bet would be to go check one out at the dealer on the floor and ask if you could push it around a little while someone stands by and see how you feel with it.

Oh by the way, I like the jacket.
And thanks, it's a really good jacket. Flows a lot of air so I never feel like I'm cooking or anything, unless I get stuck in traffic but I would feel that way no matter what I was wearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts