·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tenminimum

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
We have a case, here in New Jersey, where they tried to include the person who sent the text to the driver of a pick up truck ( who read and replied to the texts) that hit a bike with two riders. Both riders lost their leg on the crash side. Something has to be done. I see too many drivers texting or reading something on their phones. We all know how easy it is to spot them as we go by, and they don't even look embarrassed or surprised when you make eye contact.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
What makes people think they can do this much stuff while behind the wheel. In all seriousness I used to be one of those punk kids 10 year ago. I pulled up to a red light and was sitting in the left turn lane on to a low traffic 2 lane road. When the light turned green I pulled out and was reading a long text message from my GF on where we was going to meet up and go out somewhere. As I was reading the text I ran square over the road name sign in my mini monster truck of a Silverado I had at the time. It embarrassed me to death and that was enough to end that. I was just lucky enough to not get in a major accident.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
being hit from behind, more likely at a stop lite is becoming the most likely car/bike its not an accident its a "I dont give a sh!t about anybody but self Neglident".

as convenient as all these many new tools/TOYs are becoming, driving while engaged in other activities amounts to just being along for the ride. We are going to see a lot more deaths. I doubt our all too many layers of Gov even gives a krap about safety, but is more concerned about Kontrol and Revenue. at best they will use this to kreate more revenue generating offenses, not behavior modifications.
I have believed for a long time that the Government has spent too much time and money on "making your vehicle safer" as opposed to "making the operator better". Many collisions are caused by lack of experience or knowledge (which comes from experience). We are so quick to just hand out a license and then let the lawyers, courts and insurance companies sort out the results.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have believed for a long time that the Government has spent too much time and money on "making your vehicle safer" as opposed to "making the operator better". Many collisions are caused by lack of experience or knowledge (which comes from experience). We are so quick to just hand out a license and then let the lawyers, courts and insurance companies sort out the results.
Just a thought.
:good::good::good: Completely agree!

Scott

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't think it's lack of knowledge or experience in most cases. I think it's usually a hedonistic and/or I don't give a crap attitude.

It's kind of like the vehicles that pull out in front of me. I firmly believe most of them see me (many times I make eye contact) but they just don't care and have the attitude that I'm going to slow down, move over, etc.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I don't think it's lack of knowledge or experience in most cases. I think it's usually a hedonistic and/or I don't give a crap attitude.

It's kind of like the vehicles that pull out in front of me. I firmly believe most of them see me (many times I make eye contact) but they just don't care and have the attitude that I'm going to slow down, move over, etc.
It is true that 'you can lead a horse to water; but you can't make him drink'!
But, you gotta start somewhere.

Scott

·
Registered
643 Posts
It is true that 'you can lead a horse to water; but you can't make him drink'!
But, you gotta start somewhere.

Scott
Ya gotta make them thirsty, Scott . . .

·
Registered
98 Posts
As for the topic of the thread. HELL YA!!!!!! It's a shame he is a convicted felon, and going to prison at 18, but it's a bigger shame that he killed someone. He claims he wasn't texting, but he admits to being distracted. Who cares what the distraction is, you killed someone for whatever that distraction was. I somehow doubt whatever you were distracted by was worth a life. Go MA for doling out some justice. :clap:

·
Registered
399 Posts
One of these days, cell signal cancelling equipment will be a standard component in every car. That's the only way to stop the madness. We have to make it so people can't be on the phone or send/receive texts while the car is on.

·
Registered
643 Posts
One of these days, cell signal cancelling equipment will be a standard component in every car. That's the only way to stop the madness. We have to make it so people can't be on the phone or send/receive texts while the car is on.
Great idea but those devices will be easily defeated by our young techno saavy crowd . . .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, they've already bypassed the locks on factory installed navigator/dvd players that prevent it from working while in motion.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yeah, they've already bypassed the locks on factory installed navigator/dvd players that prevent it from working while in motion.
Tha little sh*ts . . . LOL

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've been tempted many times by things like this:

http://www.phonejammer.com/product.php?productid=16146&cat=253&page=1

Sadly, I feel that it would be more distracting for people on the road. They'd be too busy trying to figure out why they lost their call and trying to redial rather than driving properly.

I wonder what ever came of this:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2010/12/01/is-the-government-about-to-block-cell-phone-signals-in-cars/
I don't want any more gov intervention in anything, just accountability for stoopid people -teeth in the law.

I WOULD like some sort of zapper that I could use to blow peoples amps that pull up next to me with that annoying over-bass vibrating crapola so that I can't even hear my own stereo.:D

·
Registered
643 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't want any more gov intervention in anything, just accountability for stoopid people -teeth in the law.

I WOULD like some sort of zapper that I could use to blow peoples amps that pull up next to me with that annoying over-bass vibrating crapola so that I can't even hear my own stereo.:D
I'm not a big fan or more government interference either, but since the law isn't effective, something really has to be done.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts