Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hI have a 96 vulcan vn1500d classic has had motor work (not sure what ) has Vance and hines drag pipes and an edelbrock quicksilver 2 carb that is falling the plugs, had to change 3 times on a 70 mile ride . Can't get needles for the carb anymore (discontinued) so I am in need of a new carb ,was wondering if you think the carb you are talking about in this post would work . Bike was done before I got it so not sure what was done internally
The carb i got has a nipple on the back , points straight up does it just get caped off?

·
Premium Member
1999 Vulcan Nomad
11 Posts
Hello Fellow Riders; I have been following the thread on the CV40mm Carb. I knew Harley had used the CV40 from the Haynes shop manual I have. I appreciate the information posted but have one more item to resolve. I have a 99 Nomad 1500G. I have the original CVK40 on the bike. I have been working on what I will call a restoration project for sometime. The bike set and sure enough the plastic fuel inlet split. Wish I had seen the post about the aftermarket elbow. I cheated. I removed the remaining plastic and tapped (very carefully) the port using a 1/8 NPT bottoming tap then went to NAPA and retired two fittings to turn the corner. As a backup I also coated with some good old JB-WELD. worked out fine.
The biggest issue is I had to disassemble the carb and totally clean including emulsion tune. ((Welding tip cleaners work great here). I have had this carb apart and put back together trying to get the fuel level JUST RIGHT I believe I could do it with a blind fold.

The carb threads have me thinking a $50 investment might shed some of my sorrows. BIG QUESTION!!!! My 99 carb has a throttle position sensor which I have been careful to not adjust. What happens to this function if I elect to go after market carb?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Considering the C40's from eBay, on my 94 1500A. Would I need the slant style? and or can I make a manifold to run a single carb.? Also, all of the air box and emissions parts were gone at purchase. Do I just plug the vac. and other port on the carbs or should they be connected to ? AND, ? the 2 lines at the bottom of the gas tank??
I tore down the carbs and cleaned, got a new pump and still appears to run out of gas. The fuel filter is half full and drops out. A little or a lot of help please!
Thanks, Jack
Hello Jack, if you have switched to a single carb, do you still have your 94 stock carburetor? I need one of the bottom caps, the one with two screws in them with a gas release Allen bolt in the middle? $ thanx
[email protected]

·
Registered
1996 VN1500
3 Posts
Well, can't do the conversion on a 1500a. Different heads. Giant waste of time on my end for not checking all part numbers. On another note, what jets should work on a dual carb setup with pod filters and exhaust?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Sportster and Dyna carbs from the '90s were Keihin CV40 carbs, and Vulcan's were CVK40. -cousins- No rejetting necessary, as they served a similar displacement motor. These carbs are $60-$90 brand new on eBay all day long. Pops right into the Vulcan manifold, if you hold your mouth just right lol. I abandoned the "return" throttle cable and now use only a single cable, and it's fine that way. You'll need to modify the Harley cable guide by cutting the flutes completely off flush, and drill the holes out just a bit. Then fabricate a small "keeper" to hold the cable in place, using the now unused hole. Sorry I don't have pictures of this. A metal strip about 2" long with a hole at one end and a fork cutout at the other. Once you have it in front of you, you'll see exactly what I mean. The Kawi cable will be too long, so you'll need to snip the ball off and have a brass cable repair end at hand, the type with a set screw. Also you will have to cut back the flute on that stock cable approx. 1/4" with a tubing cutter so it clears the wheel.
** I must note here that before I started I replaced the air/fuel mixture screw with one that you can turn with your fingers. (eBay $10) Made life so much easier once it was up and running. . Look on YouTube for simple instruction how to do this. Also added the correct Harley choke cable. With what I've told you, you should be running.
There's more to tell, so if you make it this far ask me again and I'll tell you how I was able to use the Vulcan idle cable, and how I adapted the Vulcan air cleaner. Good luck!
View attachment 241694
What adapter plate are you using for the stock intake

·
Premium Member
1999 Vulcan Nomad
11 Posts
I have followed this post a while now. I have asked this question earlier. I have a 99 Vulcan Nomad 1500. When I acquired it the air intake system had already been converted to a single breather similar to LULU photo. My original question and a major one is "Does the Harley CV40 have the throttle position sensor attached"? This feeds information to my electronic ignition system so I do not think it is something you can just abandon??

·
Registered
99 Vulcan 1500 G Nomad
2 Posts
Hi, Winkeldoggi I'm reading your post about Harley carb on Vulcan. i am new in the Forum and i own a 99, 1500 nomad, and my Carb is blown. I live in Costa Rica and its very difficuld get parts for my bike. So i decided to put a Harley carb on my 1500. I found your post very interesting, can you tell a bit more how you have modified the Cabelwork an yours. Do you think you can show some fotos how it looks and give me more Informations.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok...yes they are aftermarket copies. Take a look on eBay Harley CV40 carburetor. They won't have that Harley logo embossed in them. Yes they work just fine, no re-jetting necessary, you won't have to mess with it. I would only recommend replacing the air/fuel screw with the thumb screw. Check YouTube for how easy that is. But should you decide to experiment, the Jets are exactly the same fit from CVK40 (stock) to CV40 (Harley) The Vulcan air cleaner setup will not work primarily because of that crazy airbox system that takes air all the way from the left side of the bike. You can eliminate the whole works. I myself chose to modify the right side Kawi portion to fit my needs. But there's aftermarket air cleaner setups out there that will also suit what you are doing and they look pretty good too. It's all about clearance of the gas tank so it's gotta be a small one.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
For you folks attempting to adapt this Harley style CV40 carb to your Kawasaki 1500. 1999 & up models use a TPS (throttle position sensor). Prior to the '99 models there was a vacuum advance built into the igniter and a vacuum hose connected at the carb to the igniter. This is where your engine ignition gets it's timing advance. Without the TPS you will have no ignition advance. The TPS is attached to the side of the carb by two screws, actuated by the throttle shaft, has 3 wires coming from it to a triangular plug.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts