Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well..... I obtained this thing and used it, not really knowing......maybe it's what you're referring to. But there are no manufacture marks of any kind on it which led me to believe it was a one-off that someone made. I had to cut and fit a car exhaust pipe adapter into it to make the Kawi backing plate go on. Worked out quite well

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
The little hose nipples on the sides have no application so I just plugged them.
***NOTE: - see how there's 3 holes in a triangle with a 4th hole offset? They match up to the CV carb. It's important to leave that "4th" hole - the one that doesn't take a bolt - open to the air. It's an atmospheric pressure equalizer duct, and if you block it the carb will fill up and gush gas and never work properly.
Learned the hard way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
eBay..... Even the guy selling it didn't know what it was for LOL. I merely recognized that the holes matched up to the CV carb and took a chance.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Machinist could whip that off of a lathe in about ten minutes. I doubt it would be expensive at all

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok...yes they are aftermarket copies. Take a look on eBay Harley CV40 carburetor. They won't have that Harley logo embossed in them. Yes they work just fine, no re-jetting necessary, you won't have to mess with it. I would only recommend replacing the air/fuel screw with the thumb screw. Check YouTube for how easy that is. But should you decide to experiment, the Jets are exactly the same fit from CVK40 (stock) to CV40 (Harley) The Vulcan air cleaner setup will not work primarily because of that crazy airbox system that takes air all the way from the left side of the bike. You can eliminate the whole works. I myself chose to modify the right side Kawi portion to fit my needs. But there's aftermarket air cleaner setups out there that will also suit what you are doing and they look pretty good too. It's all about clearance of the gas tank so it's gotta be a small one.
I hI have a 96 vulcan vn1500d classic has had motor work (not sure what ) has Vance and hines drag pipes and an edelbrock quicksilver 2 carb that is falling the plugs, had to change 3 times on a 70 mile ride . Can't get needles for the carb anymore (discontinued) so I am in need of a new carb ,was wondering if you think the carb you are talking about in this post would work . Bike was done before I got it so not sure what was done internally

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
A rebuild kit for Harley Keihin CV40 will have the parts you need, and replacement needles for that carb will work also.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well..... I obtained this thing and used it, not really knowing......maybe it's what you're referring to. But there are no manufacture marks of any kind on it which led me to believe it was a one-off that someone made. I had to cut and fit a car exhaust pipe adapter into it to make the Kawi backing plate go on. Worked out quite well
View attachment 243257
So, is this a adapter for the factory air cleaner ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
No it is not. It's actually a manifold extension for a Harley CV40 carb, that I modified a little to take the Kawasaki air cover.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 99 1500 classic , will this work for it and do I just bypass the coolant lines . Also my carb looks like it has a tps on it and a fuel pump mounted Under the tank on the frame . I’m not used to carbureted bikes have fuel pumps .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
No it is not. It's actually a manifold extension for a Harley CV40 carb, that I modified a little to take the Kawasaki air cover.
What is the 2 nipples on it for ? And how do I get one,I don't have factory air cover have a k&n has a rubber boot that hooks up to intake on carb , the new cv 40 i got is a flat front so no where to hook the special rubber boot.
Any ideas , I was thinking with that intake adapter I could slide the carb end of the boot over it and put a clamp on and should be good. Also have to get a 43" throttle cable for the new carb. Old carb had linkage by the top of the carb and the new one is down by the middle of the carb.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts