Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had to make modification to the CV cable guide, went to just a single cable. Modified the Kawasaki cable also. Then was able eliminate all that crazy left/right airbox system. Have only the right side now, adapted to the Harley carb. Looks great, works great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wrinkledoggi - Congratulations on getting the Harley carb to work on your 1500. Would you mind sharing some more info. on how you did it? I figure that I would have to find a Harley carb from a certain model-year range and figure out how to mount it. I thought I read somewhere that the Harley carbs were made by Keihin, but not sure about that. Over the years Harley probably used various suppliers.

One thing I was thinking is that you would need to use air cleaners assemblies for Harley probably, but there should be lots of possibilities.

And, you would have to figure out how to set the jetting on the Harley carb while on the Vulcan. My Vulcan’s carb is missing and a new carb from the parts websites is $800. I can probably find a used one eventually but the ones I have seen cost more than $300. So, trying to see if I can adapt a Harley carb. Thanks - Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Sportster and Dyna carbs from the '90s were Keihin CV40 carbs, and Vulcan's were CVK40. -cousins- No rejetting necessary, as they served a similar displacement motor. These carbs are $60-$90 brand new on eBay all day long. Pops right into the Vulcan manifold, if you hold your mouth just right lol. I abandoned the "return" throttle cable and now use only a single cable, and it's fine that way. You'll need to modify the Harley cable guide by cutting the flutes completely off flush, and drill the holes out just a bit. Then fabricate a small "keeper" to hold the cable in place, using the now unused hole. Sorry I don't have pictures of this. A metal strip about 2" long with a hole at one end and a fork cutout at the other. Once you have it in front of you, you'll see exactly what I mean. The Kawi cable will be too long, so you'll need to snip the ball off and have a brass cable repair end at hand, the type with a set screw. Also you will have to cut back the flute on that stock cable approx. 1/4" with a tubing cutter so it clears the wheel.
** I must note here that before I started I replaced the air/fuel mixture screw with one that you can turn with your fingers. (eBay $10) Made life so much easier once it was up and running. . Look on YouTube for simple instruction how to do this. Also added the correct Harley choke cable. With what I've told you, you should be running.
There's more to tell, so if you make it this far ask me again and I'll tell you how I was able to use the Vulcan idle cable, and how I adapted the Vulcan air cleaner. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
So who said it couldn't be done ?? I mean besides the dealership ? A really good swap would be a S&S Super.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, my Kawi acquaintances and my Harley acquaintances both told me it would be "impossible"...... Keep in mind these are purist stick-up-their-ass types who are unable themselves to think outside the box even a little lol

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My opinion is that for my purposes the S+S would have been overkill..... What I wanted was ease, reliability, and longevity for cheap money. And using a little Yankee ingenuity I achieved exactly that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks – this is really helpful. I will be starting this carb project in about a week, so I really appreciate your info. Like you said I might have some more questions later like about how to fit an air cleaner. But for now, just one question please – the carbs I see on eBay are mainly not Harley or Keihin, but I guess modern no brand copies of same. That should be OK, but I don’t know how anyone would find different jets, etc. for them. But for less than $100 it might be worth it. And maybe Keihin jets would fit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok...yes they are aftermarket copies. Take a look on eBay Harley CV40 carburetor. They won't have that Harley logo embossed in them. Yes they work just fine, no re-jetting necessary, you won't have to mess with it. I would only recommend replacing the air/fuel screw with the thumb screw. Check YouTube for how easy that is. But should you decide to experiment, the Jets are exactly the same fit from CVK40 (stock) to CV40 (Harley) The Vulcan air cleaner setup will not work primarily because of that crazy airbox system that takes air all the way from the left side of the bike. You can eliminate the whole works. I myself chose to modify the right side Kawi portion to fit my needs. But there's aftermarket air cleaner setups out there that will also suit what you are doing and they look pretty good too. It's all about clearance of the gas tank so it's gotta be a small one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This carb was $59.95 brand new in the box and came with fuel line + filter + assorted size Jets in addition to the ones already in the carb. I didn't change them. Sure beats Hundred$ for a junk used one. They are so inexpensive you could keep a spare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So who said it couldn't be done ?? I mean besides the dealership ? A really good swap would be a S&S Super.
I would like more information and assistance, I have a 1999 nomad vn1500g1a and I’d like to do the same . Except keep both throttle cables , and either keep my hypercharger or use a Harley style air cleaner For it , as long as it can be mounted

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I always thought Hyperchargers were only for fuel injected bikes.......Hmmmm..... I've never heard of one on a carburetor..... But what do I know!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts