Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a total newbie at this, but I just discover there's a weird tube hanging out directly underneath my bike's seat. See attachment.

Is this normal? And what is the tube for?

Thanks in advanced!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Most probably the battery or fuel tank bleed off

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what does the fuel tank bleed line do? let air in and out? or is it used to drain fuel outta the tank?

i never heard of battery bleed off.. lol i'm too new =(

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
In hot weather liquids expand .... a full gas tank, hot from the sun creats vapors ... this bleeds em off ... while most oem batterys are sealed, they still usually have a bleed off tube. It is at the lower section of your bike so it dont spray crap all over the paint and chrome .... never mind your rear tire:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Gotta be the battery tube. Looks the same as my 2010. You can reroute so you can't see it if it bothers you.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If you look around under there you'll probably find more than one vent hose. Some are for the battery, gas tank, crankcase vent (from the air cleaner), etc. My other two bikes have them all arranged together on the bottom left side.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Todays emissions control systems have fuel vapors from the tank routed to a carbon cannister. Especially when the bike is not running, hot, and/or parked in the sun. The vapors are routed to the cannister. There is normally a vacuum valve that opens another line from the cannister to the air cleaner when the engine is running. The vent tube then allows outside air into the cannister to purge the collected fuel fumes and refresh the carbon. So, it vents both ways. Allows dissepation of excess tank pressure build up by funneling the fuel vapor cleansed air out and then drawing fresh air in to purge the carbon. Simple really and quite practical. It also prevents the vapor from escaping into your garage when you put you bike away hot. Engine heat will be transferred to the tank making the remaining fuel expand, hence the vapors. These vapors have a safe place to collect until your next ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts