Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so it's a little cooler than normal, but not so bad (51), and I start out on my morning commute, which takes me onto the interstate.

Accelerating on the ramp, I get it up to 55 on the speedo (50 in reality) and I roll the throttle to get up to 65, just like I do every day.

Only difference is today, rolling doesn't accelerate, but starts to DEcelerate. When I roll back, sticks to 55 and seems "normal" power. tried this about 3 times with the same results.

Wound up traveling about 2/10 of a mile and was JUST about to exit to go back home, and throttled up one more time to a "normal" response, so I rode on in.

Only the first time I've experienced this oddity, but if there's a second...back to the shop!

Any ideas what this might have beeb?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had that same thing happen twice last year on mornings where the temps went down from the previous days. I was using some thicker oil and think it might have been a response to some oil starvation on the upper end while the bike was cold. Just a really wild guess. This year, I am using the recommended weight of oil and have not had that problem on the first cold mornings of the year...knock on wood. However, it only happened twice and I don't think it is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had that same thing happen twice last year on mornings where the temps went down from the previous days. I was using some thicker oil and think it might have been a response to some oil starvation on the upper end while the bike was cold. Just a really wild guess. This year, I am using the recommended weight of oil and have not had that problem on the first cold mornings of the year...knock on wood. However, it only happened twice and I don't think it is anything to worry about.
Hmm this is weird. The computer should compensate for the temp while it's warming up. I was riding in 30 degree weather last week never had this problem.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
sounds like the secondary throttle actuator failed to respond... only way to be sure is to hook it up to a diagnostic computer and pull a code....if that is the case the whole throttle body has to be replaced as the actuator is not available seperatly!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts