Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Weird Noises and Tire Wear?

9K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  rdb496 
#1 ·
Got some noises I'd like opinions on.

I've had the bike since March. I'm the original owner.
Has approx. 3.5K miles.

At slow speeds, I hear a rubbing sound best described as kind of like when you hit the brakes on a bicycle. It doesn't appear to be brake related though.
I can hit the brakes and it makes no difference. It is at slow speeds only.
At higher speeds, I hear a roaring. That is why I'm posting here.
I don't know if the roaring I'm hearing is the tires or maybe I have a wheel bearing issue.

Any one else have these sorts of sounds? Are they normal for this machine?
Also the tires front and back are wearing in a sort of flat pattern. Is this normal or am I over / under inflated or what?
I'm going to throw this up in a the general and maybe the Wheel / Tire as well to get some opinions.

Thanks in advance. . .
Mike.

See less See more
#2 ·
What's the tire pressure, cold? I just passed 5K miles on my V2K LT, and both front and rear look pretty good. I ride 2 up about 25% of the time. My front tire is at 38 psi (cold) and the rear at 42 psi.

#4 ·
It sounds like it could be the belt. You have to check the rear alignment. There are five notches on each side of the bike frame at the rear section. Make sure the line is in the middle notch on both sides. If there not, you have to adjust it. Just pull out the cotter pin, loosen the nut, and adjust whatever side need to be brought in, just make sure there pointing at the same spot

#6 ·
I went through my original set of tires in 9400 miles...due to over inflating them. I was putting them at the pressure stated in the manual. However, the gauge I was using was reading low by 10 lbs so I was actually "really" over inflating. They also had a flat mid section (on the rear mainly) and round sides. Now I've got 1500 miles on my new set and "two" new gauges that are much more accurate. The wear is very good so far.

#7 ·
I understand the problem that you say you are having. I have a 2007 VN2000 Classic LT with 13,000 miles. I nitced from the beginning that I had a noise almost as a front wheel bearing was making noise. I also felt it could have been the tires creating the noise as well. However, when I brought it back to the dealer twice he assured me that nothing was wrong it was "the nature of the beast". I also checked belt adjustment but to this day I still have the same noise that you have noted coming from your bike. Also I do not know if anyone else is having a similar problem but I seem to be going through rear tires at 5,000 mile intervals. I have tried Metzler, Continental and now have a Dunlop, which seems to be wearing the best. I am a very conservative driver that is not about to abuse my bike.

#9 ·
I have a 2006 Vulcan 2000 with 16,000 miles on it. From day one I have had a feel as though something is rubbing on the front wheel. I have taken it in three times and each time I have been told that it is normal. So far I have not seen a problem from it....other than driving me nuts.

#10 ·
Hi fellow Vulcan rider. In regards to the probelm that you have I wish I could help you. I have a VN 2000 LT Classic and deal with that annoying noise everyday. I consider myself a decent mechanic and my ear pointed towards the sound of a wheel bearing or a similar sound like worn brakes rubbing a rotor. I also have taken the bike back to my dealer several times and he told me to try driving it without a windshield then you won't hear as many noises. All I can figure is it would be a vibration picked up by the front tire and transmitted through the forks. I also have an annoying as I would call it a bird cheeping sound. Not the sound of the injectors but more of a squeeking sound coming from the rear. I think my next bike will be a HONDA GOLDWING, I was looking at the Vulcan Voyager but now I'm not so sure. However, the price is nicer on the Voyager.

#11 ·
The bicycle sound is your belt, you can loosen it a bit, and be sure, that your rear wheel is running straight.
I have read, that the rear pulley is offset 2,3 mm, to the right, that`s why the belt is always running on the left side of the pulley.
Bridgestones are known to make noise in turns and also known for cupping. You have to live with it or try another brand for the next tyre.
The cover for the rear brake reservoir is said to vibrate on some bikes, I don`t know if it is so, but you can check it out.

#12 ·
V2000 rear wheel noise

It's funny how some things work, today i called a couple dealers about the noise coming from my rear wheel the first fellow said to bring it in (of course) the next was alittle more informative and told me that the belt should have about a half inch of slack. This was a HUGE amount of help since I might have had about a quarter before. So after adjusting the belt I have no noise anymore! I hope this helps everyone outthere...Keep the rubber on the road !

#13 ·
I am on my 2nd. V2K, (2004 and 2006 LT) the LT is a NOISEY bastard, I too ahve heard the "scuffing" sound from the front end, and yes, it is defineatly the front end. I have also had a bit of a vibration or shake in the bars at low speed, well guess what, the vibration is getting worse. Here's what I've found- the steering is getting looser, it seems that I have a problem with the bearing race(s) under the triple tree loosening up- fortunately , the riding season is about over, so I'ver got to tear down and tighten back to specs before I wreck my wheel- any one else notice any vibration in the bars? Could be the same issues.

#14 ·
No vibration in the bars on mine. I'm beginning to think my issue is the tires.
I'll know when I replace. Currently I have a gas guage that has gone bad.
So, at the end of the season when I take it in for that, I'll have them look the front end over real good. I'll be needing a back tire at the end of the season, so I may replace both and see if that takes care of the noise as well.

#15 ·
Same noise on a 1700 Classic LT

I have a 4 day old 1700 LT. I have this same "bad bearing" sound that appears to be on the front side of the engine. Not there when not moving with the engine idling. Does occur with the clutch in or out, under power or coasting.

When I pull in the clutch to coast to a stop it does decrease as the bike slows. Tells me it's in the belt or wheel side of the transmission, both of which however are towards the back of the engine. I wouldn't call it a squeek as some have called out for adjusting the belt. Plus, at 4 days old I would have thought the dealer had the belt correct on delivery.

Next test, turn off the engine at the top of a hill and start coasting down. Might get a better idea of where it's coming from with no engine noise.

pete

#16 ·
same same

I have a 2007 vn2000 cl lt. Bought it when it hit the store. Notice the darn noise first day. I have had it in the first year about 3 time, total of 30 days. They can not find the noise. It is most pronounced around 10 to 15 mph. Clutch in, clutch out, brake on, brakes off, engine on, engine off. It is always there. My tripple tree is loose, but not eh issue. the bike will head shake a slow speads, hands off. I believe that is from the loose tripple tree. However I know have developed brake problems, it is like warped rotors, (at 13k?). Someone told me it was scale. So I took emery paper to the rotors. Need to test it. but the brakes pads are always in contact on the right side. I believe that is the cause of the noise. I believe I will off load this machine before real problems start. I also have a idle problem that happens when I go from neutral to first: it hunts for an idle.

#17 ·
daddio, lets start with the front tire. Bridgestone BattleAxe is the the worst tire ever put on a motorcycle. I have destroyed more than my fair share of them. They are worthless POS. They sing in the corners.. Howl is more precise. They wear at an unprecedented rate and handle like sliding in POOH.
Get rid of them as quick as you can. Metzlers are better. There may be others, but for this big heavy beast, with the 880's you will think you bought a whole new bike. It will shut the f* up and handle like it was meant to.

ok, now the rear. Obviously, tire pressure is paramount to reasonable life of both your tires. Check it often and make it right. I set my rears at 45lb. only because I dont check em often and by time I do they might be down to 35lb. If you set them low then they have no where to go but down.

Belt tension and wheel alignment is next. Make it right. it is not rocket science.

Rubbing noisies at low speed and howling at high speed. WTF! you got some animal stuck up in your subfender? and you are still riding the beast?
If you have clearance issues, best find them and eliminate them pronto. This is not the kind of truble you want out in the boonies.

Most all problems and issues can be identified, zeroed in on and dealt with, with reasonable approach and applied solutions. This is the "zen art of mc maintenance". It makes you a better man. out, ponch

#18 ·
I have had that same noise since day one, it seams to be the worst when turning left at slow speed. The dealer says its normal, but I think it is the brake pad rubbing. With all the noise this bike makes my biggest thing is the amount of heat coming from the clutch side cover, it gets so hot it will burn you,I keep thinking its low on oil but thats not the case.Again the dealer says its normal.I know one thing if I had it to do over I never would have traded my 1500 classic.

#19 ·
Vulcan 2000 wierd noise

As I have posted earlier, the noise that you hear does seem to be a common problem with the vulcan 2000's. I bought mine last august and so far I have 16,000 miles plus on it, and it still has that annoying metalic rubbing noise, if nothing hasn't failed yet I guess It's normal, at least thats what my dealer tells me. The person who posted earlier and suggested trying Metzler tires was right:) I switched and have had excellent results, better handling and less ''howling noise'' Funny when I ride my Gold Wing I dont hear any noise, only the stereo, guess I'm getting wimpy in my later years, It comes with the receading hair line. GOOD LUCK and RIDE SAFE.:D

#20 ·
As I have posted earlier, the noise that you hear does seem to be a common problem with the vulcan 2000's. I bought mine last august and so far I have 16,000 miles plus on it, and it still has that annoying metalic rubbing noise, if nothing hasn't failed yet I guess It's normal, at least thats what my dealer tells me. The person who posted earlier and suggested trying Metzler tires was right:) I switched and have had excellent results, better handling and less ''howling noise'' Funny when I ride my Gold Wing I dont hear any noise, only the stereo, guess I'm getting wimpy in my later years, It comes with the receading hair line. GOOD LUCK and RIDE SAFE.:D
I agree with you on the tires, went to metzler with good results, but still have the rubbing noise, guess I'll have to mount a stereo. Mine is not receading its just gone.

#21 ·
I have a 2006 900 lt 4200 miles, and this Memorial day weekend May 2011 I started hearing a squeeking noise, rather loud at slowing down speeds only, sounds like brake pads rubbing but it is not that. The hotter the temp is outside the worse it gets. Pull in the clutch, it stops, accelerate, it stops. let off the gas to slow down, gets really loud, what in the hell could this be? Never seen or heard anything like it before.

#23 ·
got an '06 2k classic lt and the noise from the front has been there since day one. believe its the front brake. seems much worse when riding in hot weather for highway riding. again, dealer says no big deal but it positively howls after an hour at 85 mph on the highway. hey, i don't like it but i can't imagine being on any other bike. gonna keep going til it won't go no more :}

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.