Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got some noises I'd like opinions on.

I've had the bike since March. I'm the original owner.
Has approx. 3.5K miles.

At slow speeds, I hear a rubbing sound best described as kind of like when you hit the brakes on a bicycle. It doesn't appear to be brake related though.
I can hit the brakes and it makes no difference. It is at slow speeds only.
At higher speeds, I hear a roaring. That is why I'm posting here.
I don't know if the roaring I'm hearing is the tires or maybe I have a wheel bearing issue.

Any one else have these sorts of sounds? Are they normal for this machine?
Also the tires front and back are wearing in a sort of flat pattern. Is this normal or am I over / under inflated or what?
I'm going to throw this up in a the general and maybe the V2K as well to get some opinions.

Thanks in advance. . .
Mike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
cant help u on the noise to much but your tire issue i can. When you say flat are you talking about the center of it? if so thats normal. You probably dont do a lot of cornering and do more commuting and thats where your tire is spending most of its time... right in the middle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem with the rubbing noise on my 900 vulcan with 3000 miles. Sounds exactly like you described it and happens at slow speeds. Did you figure out what it is?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried anything yet? I am taking mine in to have the wheel bearings greased and see if that fixes the problem. If it is not the wheel bearings it has to be the belt. It is really annoying.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really. It isn't the belt. It is obviously coming from the front of mine.
I can hear the belt. This is a noise from the front. I think it's either the bearing or the front tire. I'm leaning towards the tire.
I will most likely take it in to get checked out soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same Problem

I have the same "noise" on my 900.... I first thought it was from the belt too, but I can hear it from the front. Anyone find out what this is? Don't tell me its a wheel bearing already....:p

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the same "noise" on my 900.... I first thought it was from the belt too, but I can hear it from the front. Anyone find out what this is? Don't tell me its a wheel bearing already....:p
Someone told me it is the bridgetone tires. Said they were known for being noisy. . .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tires?

This sound seems more from the axle area than from the tires.... I have the tries on for 10,000 mi (except the rear) and they never made noise before....:confused::confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey, glad I'm not the only one with this noise, but as you, I would like to know what is causing it. Mine sounds like a repetitive intermittent dragging noise which sounds like it is coming from the front. I have checked the axle after riding and it's not hot, is usually cool, so don't really think it is a bearing problem. I have tried riding the front brake a little while riding to see if I had a high spot on the brake pads but that didn't seem to make a difference. Then the other day I thought I could hear a similar dragging sound in the rear, so I checked the belt and it seems fine also. So.....?????????? I am stumped. If anyone solves the problem, please let us know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Strange...we all have the same problem...

I'm never the one to jump to conclusions....but maybe it's a "kawasaki" Thing....
One person said it was his 2000, mine is a 900.... strange I admit.. it even has the shop I bought the bike from stumped. where do we go from here. Just shy of replacing the wheel bearings, what else can we try. Maybe a quick shot of WD40? :confused:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Noise

Yes it is strange and maybe you're right, it may just be a Kawasaki thing. I wouldn't worry if I knew I wasn't doing any damage to the bike but at this point I'm not so sure. But I just keep riding and hope for the best. By the way, I thought I was probably the only nut that stays up late at night with nothing better to do than read messages on the forum, Ha Ha! I guess that is what happens when you work night shift and don't get your days and nights turned around when you have a couple nights off. But I think I'm about ready to give it up for tonight. Take Care. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Up again

I know what you mean. i work from 4pm - 3 am everynight. I feel like a vampire at times. When the weekends come around and I venture outside to ride, I have to wear a long sleeve shirt.... lol :D

I am taking my bike in to the shop and having my wheel bearing replaced. I will let you know if that clears up the strange noise.

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a vulcan 900 special edition 09 and I just hit 650 miles and it makes the same noise, but only when I turn right, go over speed bumbs or dips, and only at slow speeds. Sounds like its coming from the front tire. I talked to a Kawasaki dealer and they said that they got alot of complaints about the same thing for the 900. They also said that the number of causes are that the bolts inside the fairng sometimes come loose and make a loud rubbing sound and you'll see a shiny ring around the tire, if not treated it'll smoke. Or the tire might be underinflated so when turning or going at slow speeds it'll rub and make a waving sound (not constant). The belt or brakes make a loud squeeling sound which I dont think is the problem. Hope that helps. im goin this weekend to get it look at.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At higher speeds, I hear a roaring. That is why I'm posting here.
I don't know if the roaring I'm hearing is the tires or maybe I have a wheel bearing issue.
Was the front tire as I suspected.
Just got a new set of Metzler ME880's. Big difference. Quiet as a mouse.
Now I can hear the bike and the wind without the roar.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just a thought, but are you getting abnormal wear patterns on the tires? If so, I would guess maybe a balance problem or tire pressure issue. Check to see what the tire manufacturers pressure specs are, they may be different than the Kaw specs. My buddy wore out a Metzler after only 3500 miles, come to find out the tire pressure specs from the bike manufacturer was way lower than what Metzler recommended.

·
Registered
684 Posts
If any of you are riding on the original Bridgestone tires, I'll bet a dollar to a donut that the the tires are the problem. Mine had noises that made me think I had bearings going out, and also a roaring noise at higher speeds. If you check out the Gadget's page it is a common and expected issue with the original tires. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You missed my last post, man.

It was the tires. I just put on some new ones last week...

No abnormal wear patterns. Just junk.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Glad that fixed it ! Now you can ride without worrying about your bearings :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts