Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this morning I started my bike after the weekend, and from the rear cylinder I heard a hard knocking like there was no oil in it:mad:. I shut it off right away and set it straight, try to start it again and sounded like there was no gas. so I tried one last time and after I gave it some gas it started. But what worries me was the hard knocking in the beginning. Which after it started sounded like it was there but it disappeared slowly.
The bike was sitting straight up for 3 days, and when I started this morning was leaning on the side stand. I hope I'm being clear enough. If something like this happened to you before or know what could be the cause, please let me know. ]]
Thanks so much.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
976 Posts
That's strange. I know the 2000's can have a knockin after long sitting periods but they don't use the same system that we have and it all goes away during warmup for them.

I haven't had any weird noises other than the normal clickity clack that this darn motor makes.

ehh, it's just character.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Haven't heard that one before...no punn intended.
How many miles on the bike? How often do you ride it? Are you using any of the designer flavors of oil?

I've become something of a low mileage rider - UNFORTUNATELY!:mad: My VN has sat for a MONTH w/o being started, with no hard knocks. Is your idle set too low? Any warning lights?

I dunno.... :confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, here we go. 21,500 miles on the bike. ride everyday to work, 100 + miles round trip. using Mobil 1 4t 10-40 synthetic with K&N filter. About the idle, always been something that I 'll like to set it with a tach, but never got my hands on one. so I dont know. I'll say that right now is set on the low side, . Never liked it set it too high.
PS: today the bike started just fine without any strange sound other than the normal. I've been wondering if having the valves adjusted will help/ I have the repair manual and will like to do it myself, but ....
Thanks for the replies.
Keep it safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts