Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I had to let my 1995 Vulcan 750 sit for a few months and now when I started it back up it is leaking antifreeze from what seems to be a weep hole on the bottom right side of the crank case. When I take it for a short ride it seems to be getting hot even though I've refilled the resevior, and the temperature gauge is not registering. My questions are: is that a weep hole similar to one on a car waterpump? If not what is the hole for and why would antifreeze be coming out? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
It sounds like the water pump mechanical seal is leaking.
That means the system probably will no longer build/hold pressure and that can cause overheating.
Also, with a cooling system leak, the radiator can be down even though the recovery tank is full because the system will pull air in at the leak instead of pulling coolant from the tank.
So looking at the recovery tank does no good anymore.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Sfair. I think you are right. I found a similar response under a thread for coolant leak. In the other thread it indicated that it may be my thrermostat also, what do you think? Normally I would check the thermostat first and if the problem persisted I would go to the mechanical seal. Are you suggesting I start with the mechanical seal?

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
If you have a leak, then that must be repaired as a cooling system does not perform as designed with a leak. You could replace the thermostat as a good maintenance measure while you have the system drained, but it would not cause a leak. Be sure and check all hoses too for condition. Radiator cap too.
The best bet is to get a service manual for your bike and it will describe how to replace the seal if you want to tackle it yourself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sfair, you were right. I had the mechanical seal, thermostat, and impeller replaced and it runs like new again. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts