Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Web Camshafts has responded to my request for a performance cam(s) for the Vulcan 1700 -

ME
any chance yall will do a performance cam for Kawasaki Vulcan 1700s

Web Camshafts
Hi Trey, We have not done the Vulcan 1700 yet, plenty of the 1500 and the 1600's so we are not sure what they changed in the valve train for the 1700. We can possibly do them on a custom basis. We will need the stock cams for evaluation along with a custom cam worksheet that can be downloaded off our website at webcamshafs.com You can also possibly call Thunder Manufacturing, they specialize in the Vulcans and may already have a kit for it. They can be reached at 623/869-7154. Have a nice day.

ME
thank you so much for getting back to me....I already emailed Thunder, haven't heard anything yet!

Web Camshafts
OK sounds good, if they don't get ahold of you then just send them to us for evaluation if you want. Have a good week :)

The cams on our bike are $329.70 each (there are two obviously)

Is anyone interested in purchasing a set and sending them to Web Cams for evaluation???

also wondering if anyone (specially voyager/vaquero folks) interested in sending a stock ecu to that hacker company that will reprogram them to remove some of the frustrating things about our motor programming for us….such as the ignition retard when the coolant temp gets to ¾….???? I think its around $500 bucks for them to do it but if we get a group of people together maybe we can get a group rate?

·
Registered
574 Posts
If I had a bit more spare money and/or a second bike to ride in the meantime, I would be game for both the cams and the ECU. Unfortunately I have neither currently.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
CAMS....OMG!!!

With all my years of experiences I highly recommend to....NOT!!!

#1...the 1700 is a low compression engine and any cam design will have to be mild as to not hurt the low end, in other words someone is gonna spend LOTS O MONEY for not much of a gain, and that gain may only be in the upper 2/3rds of the powerband.

#2...the engine HAS TO COME OUT OF THE FRAME to replace cams.

#3...there are at times incompatibility of the hardweld material used to make cams and the hard chrome plating on the 1700 rocker arms. I have seen accelerated wear with this set-up.

#4...No doubt the stock valve springs are safe for use with stock cams, will they be adequate enuff for a more radical cam. Valve spring rate, i.e. seat and full open pressures along with coil bind length is info purty darn important and may dictate what grind(s) could be used. Also valve to piston AND retainer to seal clearance should be measured on a stock engine.

#5...the 1700 engine is really in a very mild state of tune as compared to other engines. As engines are air pumps that operate under various loads and rpm ranges ANY internal modification should be very carefully assessed. The engine is a unit and a seemingly simple mod like cams alone can create holes in the powerband that CANNOT be tuned out. Now bump up the compression with higher compression pistons and you now are headed in a better a smarter direction. BUT...I have had pistons made and the process is also very involved. I would NOT do cams on a 1700 without knowing ALL the above clearances, and due to the low compression I would NOT do cams without bumping up the compression.

#6...BELIEVE ME...I have thought of these things on my skoot, but having been down this path b4 I am well aware of the potential for spendin LOTS AND I MEAN LOTS of money. If internal engine mods are done in a smart and proper manner then the 1700 engine would be more, uh, better!!!

The ecu reflash is a good thing as it works wonders on the sportbikes. Addressing the issues of the stock ecu programming would be beneficial, but since I installed my fan switch the engine has never got hot enuff for the ignition retard to come into play (admittedly as long as I remember to turn the switch on!!).

All good stuff Trey, but really lotsa work to do it right and to ensure that we make gains, and I mean good big gains thru the entire powerband for it to be worthwhile.

RACNRAY

1 - 4 of 4 Posts