Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 10 years of riding with no incidents, it all ended last night.

Sitting at a red light, minding my own business on my 9, when this 82 year old guy slams into the back of the bike, and pushes me approx 50 feet through a busy intersection before the bike finally dumps. How nobody hit me coming the other way I'll never know.

I actually didn't know how the accident happenned at all. I was sitting there when suddenly, to me, the bike just took off like a bat out of hell, with me hanging on for dear life trying to keep it rubber side down and under control with the bike swinging wildly underneath me. Finally I lost it and down it went, smacking my head pretty hard off of the pavement. Plenty of witnesses who got me out of the middle of the road, and it was only then that I learned what happenned, the guy not only hit me, he was literally pushing me and the bike down the road in front of him. I I had gone down right away he would have just crushed me, just run right over the top of me.

: I had my head gear on, or I'd be gone.

I had a heavy leather motorcycle jacket on, and motorcycle pants which save me from some serious road rash.

I had on heavy leather motorcycle boots, with steel toes. At some point my leg must have been trapped under the bike because on my right boot toe the leather is completely gone, and about half of the steel, just ground right away. If that had been my foot in sneakers, I probably wouldn't have a foot right now.

End of the story, much confusion, police, ambulances, back boad, neck brace, clothes being cut off, iv. drips, x rays, yada yada yada. I'm banged up, my shoulder and left thumb are screwed up, but they've sent me home and it could have been so much worse.

Guys, even if you don't have to wear it, wear your gear.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Man glad to hear you are ok, coulda been way worse... Interesting i did a post about the Air Jacket because of this very thing but no one really answered it... Americas population aint gettin any younger or smarter. The accident in Arizona that nearly killed everyone on a ride ( i believe 4 were killed ) ( 6 badly injured ) were all sittin at a light when a pilled up truck driver ran over them really got my attention, we hafta take every measure we can to be safe and good gear is a big part of it... Good luck let us know what your next bike is i assume your 9 was totaled...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accedent,and glad to here your safe with only minimal damage. Have tou seen your bike yet?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear about your accedent,and glad to here your safe with only minimal damage. Have tou seen your bike yet?
Went to look atn the bike today. It will be intetestig to see what his ins. Co. does. The rear fender is crushed, the back tire is shredded and the rim looks like it might be bent. Cant tell if theres any structural damage. The rest of the bike almost looks fine, except the pipes, handlebars, the headlight assembly, pretty much every piece of metal/plastic is scraped up on the right side where the bike dumped. It was in perfect condition, so
As far ad im concerned 1 little scrape means the piece gets replaced. That could get expensive, so i wondrr if theylll jusn total the bike. Its an 07

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thank God you're relatively OK. I don't even ride to the grocery store without my full gear....although I don't use steel toed boots...may have to look at that, but thinking if I had steel toes on two weeks ago, I might have had some serious lacerations on my left foot, since it is at just the point that the steel would have ended that my foot was bent backwards when my bike went down...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright.

I often think to not wear my jacket when going to the Grocery store 1/2 mile from here. Logic always kicks in. I have yet to ride on my 9 without ALL my gear on.

Bulldozer:
I saw your Air-Bag jacket post. I am seriously considering the mesh one.

If I buy it I will let you know how I feel about it. It is getting to hot here to wear my vented jacket I bought when I lived in NY, so I definitely will be purchasing some sort of mesh jacket.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dang, glad to hear you're relatively ok, it could have been ALOT worse. I read an article awhile back talking about how when people get to a certain age, many are actually as impaired, as far as reaction time etc., as a drunk driver. This senario is always in the back of my head when I'm sitting at an intersection. There have been several times I've found myself flashing my brake light while watching someone coming up on me fast.

Dan

·
Registered
445 Posts
Around here I spend as much time looking in mirrors at red lights as i do looking forward and even more after this post. I have had a driver in a pickup while sitting at a stop sign put his truck in revers and back into me had my son with me and was glad that only damage was a muffler scrape on my front fender.

·
Registered
141 Posts
+1 glad you're okay. Like others have said, ATGATT without fail. My husband and I laugh that it takes 5 or 10 minutes longer to go on the motorcycles cause of all the stuff we put on. It's totally worth it though, and everytime I hear a story like yours, it reminds me that the extra time pays off.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dang, glad to hear you're relatively ok, it could have been ALOT worse. I read an article awhile back talking about how when people get to a certain age, many are actually as impaired, as far as reaction time etc., as a drunk driver. This senario is always in the back of my head when I'm sitting at an intersection. There have been several times I've found myself flashing my brake light while watching someone coming up on me fast.

Dan
I'm nervous about older folks and those with the da** cell phones up to their ears. And I ALWAYS play flashy flashy with my brake light when stopped for any vehicle coming up behind me, and I flash it in an 'irregular' rythm.

Saw a great brake light today, actually thought it was a cop's flashing light until we got closer....and it certainly caught the eye...hubby and I will start the search for these.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Saw a great brake light today, actually thought it was a cop's flashing light until we got closer....and it certainly caught the eye...hubby and I will start the search for these.
Kisan Tailblazer. It's plug and play. Look 'em up on line. Can also cut deal by including plug and play headlight modulator.

Back to the thread - glad you're ok. Never wore a helmet in my past life unless a state told me too. This time around, I made promises to my wife and kids. Wear it 95% of the time. Hope I never wind up in a situation where it matters. Glad you're ok!

·
Registered
130 Posts
.... Never wore a helmet in my past life unless a state told me too. This time around, I made promises to my wife and kids. Wear it 95% of the time. Hope I never wind up in a situation where it matters. Glad you're ok!
That's me too Angelo, when I rode years ago, it was cap on backwards, tshirt and go. Now, we always wear our helmets. Of course then again, they make helmets that look a lot less dorky than they did back then too.

Dan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad you're mostly okay, thanks for the kick in the butt to get a textile riding jacket. It's too hot for my jacket now, so I've been doing the tee-shirt thing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Kisan Tailblazer. It's plug and play. Look 'em up on line. Can also cut deal by including plug and play headlight modulator.
It wasn't the Kisan, this was a rectangular shape that looked like a group of LEDs in 4 rows....the Kisan does a decreasing flash to steady, this kept flashing and was VERY eye catching.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Glad you're mostly okay, thanks for the kick in the butt to get a textile riding jacket. It's too hot for my jacket now, so I've been doing the tee-shirt thing.
When hubby and I went to Leesburg for bikefest, we saw a guy riding up US27 with flip flops, shorts, no shirt, no helmet....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Working on the tan

When hubby and I went to Leesburg for bikefest, we saw a guy riding up US27 with flip flops, shorts, no shirt, no helmet....
Well I guess if you don't wreck you don't need any protection. Seriously though there isn't any standard for how much safety equipment is sufficient. It's a personal choice I guess. I've heard it said that you can't have too much but that's not true. I was riding with some people in Texas in July a few years back. It was HOT and HUMID. The rider in front of me had a full face helmet which nearly caused heat stroke. She just drove off the road and wrecked. Said later that she blacked out. Bottom line for me may be way too much or way too little for the next rider. Not saying that the dude with no gear is right just as I'm not saying that those that "dress for the crash" are either. For all of us the "freedom" of riding means accepting risk.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Glad you are ok. ATGATT even when it is 100 degrees out...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts