Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some areas in the middle-midwest here have hit 115 over this weekend. One of them has been this area along the Arkansas/Missouri border in the Ozarks. According to a bank sign, it was 112 at one point as we were riding, in our full carbolex gear (and mine doesn't even have vents!! My pants do, jacket doesn't)

Was it miserable! Heck yeah! When I took my jacket off was it still just as miserable? yup!

I don't know if there is just a limit to how much heat the body can feel before the brain just says 'screw it, it's just hot', or what, lol, but there really weren't many differences between jacket and no jacket. Carbolex breathes well and has the advantage of protecting you from the sun. I ended up wearing the jacket the rest of the time. It wasn't comfortable, but I'm being perfectly honest here, it wasn't ANY better without the jacket on. I suppose in that kind of heat, NOTHING matters.

So anyway, since there are occasional discussions about good gear for riding in the heat, my vote goes for gear made from Carbolex. 112 degree is a pretty high ceiling! I had never ridden without gear before but that heat is terrible and can be dangerous so I elected to go without it, but I just can't get over the fact that it wasn't any cooler not to have the jacket on (except at a stop, of course)

-John

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Well, some areas in the middle-midwest here have hit 115 over this weekend. One of them has been this area along the Arkansas/Missouri border in the Ozarks. According to a bank sign, it was 112 at one point as we were riding, in our full carbolex gear (and mine doesn't even have vents!! My pants do, jacket doesn't)

Was it miserable! Heck yeah! When I took my jacket off was it still just as miserable? yup!

I don't know if there is just a limit to how much heat the body can feel before the brain just says 'screw it, it's just hot', or what, lol, but there really weren't many differences between jacket and no jacket. Carbolex breathes well and has the advantage of protecting you from the sun. I ended up wearing the jacket the rest of the time. It wasn't comfortable, but I'm being perfectly honest here, it wasn't ANY better without the jacket on. I suppose in that kind of heat, NOTHING matters.

So anyway, since there are occasional discussions about good gear for riding in the heat, my vote goes for gear made from Carbolex. 112 degree is a pretty high ceiling! I had never ridden without gear before but that heat is terrible and can be dangerous so I elected to go without it, but I just can't get over the fact that it wasn't any cooler not to have the jacket on (except at a stop, of course)

-John
We Do not get heat like that here in VA but the last week has been a scorcher. I saw 107 on one of the bank signs here. I ended up hanging it up after about 4 hours Saturday. I was in my black leather jacket and chaps. I kept dumping water down my jacket to keep my shirt wet and me cool. It worked good until all the heat just dried it up.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have a mesh armoured jacket that I wear as my primary riding jacket. It has a liner that zips in for cooler weather. I have been looking at one with more spine protection that still looks decent to wear. The mesh is like not wearing a thing while in motion.

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
radiating heat thru seat

with that kind of heat, how do you guys manage to keep your behinds comfortable, do you not get a huge amount of heat radiating thru your seat. Do you set some sort of an insulator material on your seats ? ok I just read post 4, that's a good option

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't notice any extra heat. Wearing textile overpants probably helped. To prevent the seat from heating up when stopped, I did cover it with a rag or my jacket whenever we went inside.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hot seat

Covering your seat is a smart thing to do. I was parked outside in the sun all day at work and at quitting time my seat was really uncomfortable on the ride home. Won't do that again.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have a mesh armoured jacket that I wear as my primary riding jacket. It has a liner that zips in for cooler weather. I have been looking at one with more spine protection that still looks decent to wear. The mesh is like not wearing a thing while in motion.
Try Tourmaster. I just bought a jacket tha is actually 3 pieces. Innermost is a lining for colder weather the center part is mesh, and has all the armour in it and the outer part is wind and rain proof. Although the +100 we have had here still was more than I could take with or without a jacket. I do like the Tourmaster in that as the temp and weather changes you can add or remove layers of the jacket to suit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts