Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Sorry for another post, if I should be keeping all of these last posts in one thread, please let me know. Before I get into my question I'd like to thank everyone who has responded to my posts so far because your input has been very helpful to me.
While I am under the cylinder head cover, I have been looking at the cam lobes and the exhaust lobe on the left side has some pitting/chipping wear on the bottom right corner of the lobe. It is not deep and on the intake lobe of the left side, there is also a much smaller scratch that looks as if someone scratched the lobe with a tool. I am wondering what the severity is of running the bike with the lobes in this condition. Once I get a screwdriver to remove the crankcase cover cap, I'll have a look at the lobes on the right side and update this post with info about those. Do you guys think it would be alright to use the lobes this summer commuting back and forth to work and have them replaced next season, or does this need to be fixed/replaced ASAP. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ethan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
WHAT is this ?? - "Once I get a screwdriver to remove the crankcase cover cap, I'll have a look at the lobes on the right side and update this post with info about those. "
Once my valve cover is off I can see all of the cam lobes.
And did this engine run fine??
That looks like you have a cam that is in need of replacing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHAT is this ?? - "Once I get a screwdriver to remove the crankcase cover cap, I'll have a look at the lobes on the right side and update this post with info about those. "
Once my valve cover is off I can see all of the cam lobes.
And did this engine run fine??
That looks like you have a cam that is in need of replacing.
Sorry for my bad description, I was referring to the two caps on the left-hand side of the crankcase that are removed to turn the motor by hand. the cam lobes on the right side of the motor are currently pointing down so I can not see the tips of the lobes like I can on the left side. I am going to turn the motor by hand so that I can see the tipped ends of the right lobes.

The engine was running well before I took the valve cover off. I purchased and drove it home 200 kms with a headwind a couple of weeks ago driving between 90 and 100 km/h. It drove well and it has been parked since I needed to replace the valve cover gasket and have been waiting for it to come in. I noticed the valve cover leaking while letting it idle at home for a few minutes. Once the bike warmed up I heard a light ringing noise and after a bit of research, I thought t may have been the cam chain tensioner, but I'm now wondering if it is the lobe.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
778 Posts
It looks like a recent event as there still are fragments up top...in the first photo the lobe is trash..actually all trash.
The engine could have possibly been starved of engine oil...too thin an oil..or oil that did not have the proper amount of zinc added to it.
Flooded carbs that diluted the oil could have also caused this as it greatly thins the oil.

Sent from my SM-A115U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
That first pic has a lot of metal missing.
More than I'd expect if it was flooded. That's a big scratch.
I dont think that would make a ringing noise.
Well if it ran good for that length, and you didnt pay to much - just change the oil and ride it bit and check it in a few thousand.

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
778 Posts
That first pic has a lot of metal missing.
More than I'd expect if it was flooded. That's a big scratch.
I dont think that would make a ringing noise.
Well if it ran good for that length, and you didnt pay to much - just change the oil and ride it bit and check it in a few thousand.
Fuel thins the oil alot..five ounces of fuel is enough to trash these engines if it's bought up to operating temperature for any length of time.
If the film is not strong enough to keep the parts separated then the damage starts to occur..once the surface is no longer smooth the parts start grinding away at each other.
A damaged cam chews itself up quick.
Lots of small block Chevrolets suffered damaged camshafts..the cause was usually to low of an idle speed which didn't sling oil on the cam properly...that and they were case hardened...once that thin layer was damaged..the lobe went rather quick.
Our engines in these bikes are high rpm engines with an aggressive cam profile...while also requiring stiff springs to prevent valve floating...a very tough life to say the least

·
Registered
626 Posts
+1 on checking to see if its oiling like it should. Start it with the cover off,
The cams are toast the hardened surface has been compromised
Order a new set now and save your self the cost of the items it will damage it it continues to be operated in this condition

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
778 Posts
May be an optical illusion...but the pipe looks like it may be missing the oring..does the pipe sit tight in the hole once you push it in?..it looks like it sitting to 'one side' to me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts