Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is the 900 Classic LT known for having a weak luggage rack?

When I got the bike a couple months ago, I bought a trunk and put it on the luggage rack. I use the bike often to go to/from work, and put my laptop / bag in the trunk so I don't have to wear it.

The last week or so, the trunk keeps sinking, lower and lower. I take a closer look and the luggage rack is actually bending downwards.

I'm going to have to weld or bolt some brackets to strengthen this up. Anyone else with this problem?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes. I bought a luggage rack from "Cavalry Customs" for my 900 and it too bent and began to crack under the weight of my trunk. Had to replace it with a Wompus Rack which has been rock solid so far.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I had good luck with the Cobra....although it is prone to rust. Seems like it was a good buy, though.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Luggage-Kawasaki-Vulcan-Backrests/dp/B0085SO9E2[/ame]

I've had a Grand Tourer bag on it for a few years, it's never bent, but, like I say, it likes to be waxed.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
there's a place called Calvary Customs that can help.
Cavalry rack is junk. Please see the following pictures for what happened to mine after less than a month of use:

Notice how the metal cracked and broke. A good quality rack does not do that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those pics show exactly the same place my Calvary rack bent. Exactly.

I don't mind paying $$$ for a good rack. But, honestly? $165 for a single piece of 12 gauge steel that has been cut, bent, and drilled, and painted black? Really? $3 worth of materials, and $162 for "labor"? ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts

I don't mind paying $$$ for a good rack. But, honestly? $165 for a single piece of 12 gauge steel that has been cut, bent, and drilled, and painted black? Really? $3 worth of materials, and $162 for "labor"? ;-)
I thought it was high was well, but the last thing I want is to have the rack crack & break while my wife is on the back..... :doh: Peace of mind takes precedence. ')

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I thought it was high was well, but the last thing I want is to have the rack crack & break while my wife is on the back..... :doh: Peace of mind takes precedence. ')
You put your wife on your rack?

Gives a whole new meaning to "What a rack".....

lol

·
Registered
7,620 Posts

They are pricey; though sometimes you can find them used (it's gonna hide under your trunk anyway)

Wompus rack is what my trunk is on, and it's as big as trunks get- an HD TourPak. I've had that thing LOADED down, including luggage on top, well exceeding the 'manufacturers recommendation'.

That said- they are pricey, and you would think you'd get a little more for almost $200. I got a deal though getting it used.

If you can weld, I've seen lots of guys fabricate their own, custom trunk mounts!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I put the Kawi factory rack on mine with a Vetter Goldwing tour pack. and it is rock solid. The chrome is very high quality but I put pieces of innertube between the attach points so I won't get rust between the parts. Works very well. No rattles or movement. Holds a full face helmet and a riding jacket.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Sometimes you can get a great deal with something cheap (I'm tickled to death with my chinese bluetooth helmet headsets!)

Sometimes you're tripping over a dollar to pinch a penny!

Guess we've learned those knock-off luggage racks are a case of the latter. Too bad!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I didn't buy the crappy luggage rack. It came with the bike. :)

I've rectified that situation now.

Looks like the crappy one could be strengthened up by someone with welding skills. Which I do not have. If someone wants it, let me know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am looking into getting a rack and I think after reading all the replies I am going with the EOM from kawaski. It's a little pricey but looks nice sturdy and I like the fact the tubing matches my backrest.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I am looking into getting a rack and I think after reading all the replies I am going with the EOM from kawaski. It's a little pricey but looks nice sturdy and I like the fact the tubing matches my backrest.
Look at the Cobra bars and racks. Best quality ever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts