Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Made a short ride after lunch (67 miles), wandered alongside the TN /NC border, visited some old favorite roads. While the rush of water from the melting snow has subsided, there was still a good volume in Rock Fork Creek, as seen in the pics.

The water in it is COLD. There were still huge icicles hanging onto the exposed rock face.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Great area to ride. Thanks for the pics.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
mem, how do you like that leatherlyke tourpak? will it hold 1-2 full face helmets? also, you have the model with built in back rest. How well does that work? would it be more secure to use the non backrest model behind a standard passenger backrest. Yours is the first I've seen in play, so questions abound. thanks, ponchout
ps. those arent real mountains to fall off (tho still my fav) the real ones are over on the left coast:D

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Glad you did not fall off any mountains, but if you waited till today you would had. I don't know if it has made it that far south but we are covered in Ice here in Southwest VA this morning, and only supposed to get worse.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mem, how do you like that leatherlyke tourpak? will it hold 1-2 full face helmets? also, you have the model with built in back rest. How well does that work? would it be more secure to use the non backrest model behind a standard passenger backrest. Yours is the first I've seen in play, so questions abound. thanks, ponchout
ps. those arent real mountains to fall off (tho still my fav) the real ones are over on the left coast:D
LOVE it ! Uh, nope, it barely holds ONE helmet. Once I adjusted the forward / rearward position of it, the wife quit her whinin.' Finally. If I kept the stock backrest, it would have placed the bag further back than I'd care for it to be. Did consider it, though, before I had the rack custom made for both the bike and the bag.

Hey, I'm from the swamps of south Louisiana, originally, these are mountains to me ! Yes, I agree, the real mountains ARE out west, hope to see them one day. If you ever get lost and find yourself in Moonshine Country, there's a free lunch waitin' on ya.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you did not fall off any mountains, but if you waited till today you would had. I don't know if it has made it that far south but we are covered in Ice here in Southwest VA this morning, and only supposed to get worse.
That's why we rode Saturday, knowing the nasty stuff was coming BACK. Haven't seen it just yet, but we know it's coming.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Saturday, we're headed south to MS and LA in the Green Flame to thaw for a week or so.
Tired of being COLD, hope to get a chance down there to sit next to the wood stove and warm my ancient bones.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wanna see them mountains, you say? Here's a taste! Let me know when you're in the neighborhood, I'll show ya the good spots.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oooooh, a VICTORY !! Nice.
Uh, your mountains have SNOW on them, exactly what we're trying to get AWAY from.

How far are you from Idaho Falls? Have a very good, old customer there.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
IF is about 2.5 hours east of us. We make up that way pretty often as my brother in law lives in Swan Valley.

And don't worry about the snow...it minds its business and stays on the mountaintops during the summer. First pic is the north face of Galena Summit above the Salmon River basin, not too far from Stanley, ID. Took that one in late May '12. The other is on the shore of Jackson Lake in the Grand Teton National Park in early June of '13.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the wife's bucket list is a trip to see the Sequoi trees. There are some in northern CA and I think there are some in a neighboring state as well. Hope to make that ride in your direction within the next 3 years, all things work as planned.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Made a short ride after lunch (67 miles), wandered alongside the TN /NC border, visited some old favorite roads. While the rush of water from the melting snow has subsided, there was still a good volume in Rock Fork Creek, as seen in the pics.

The water in it is COLD. There were still huge icicles hanging onto the exposed rock face.

Good lookin' rig you have there Mark.

:good:

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts

I really dig your trunk bag. What brand is it? Is it solid and sturdy for riding 2 up? Does it lock? I rarely ride without the misses.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really dig your trunk bag. What brand is it? Is it solid and sturdy for riding 2 up? Does it lock? I rarely ride without the misses.
It's a Leather Lyke, the one with the built in backrest. VERY sturdy, and it does lock, too. Not as roomy as a Harley tour pak, only holds one helmet, but you can hang both helmets on the hooks, then lock it shut.

Like you, I rarely ride without the better half.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
It's a Leather Lyke, the one with the built in backrest. VERY sturdy, and it does lock, too. Not as roomy as a Harley tour pak, only holds one helmet, but you can hang both helmets on the hooks, then lock it shut.

Like you, I rarely ride without the better half.
Looks good! Thanks I found it online. Kinda spendy but looks to be worth it, I like it. Have to keep that on the back burner for now. Another question I have is, since my luggage rack mounts to the sissy bar, did you have to purchase a special luggage rack as well? Might be getting a little too deep in the pockets for me.

Nevermind, I see that you can also get the one without the backrest and simply mount it on the luggage rack.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts