Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A license to carry a pistol or revolver is NOT required for open carry beginning July 1, 2013. A license is not required for transporting a concealed or visible firearm in a vehicle.

I have mixed feelings about this beginning here in Mississippi.

I have guns. I bought a 357 almost 20 years ago and have shot it couple of times but never even bought ammo for it or any other gun. Guy that sold it to me gave me some hollows.

The crime in my area has gotten ridiculous and I am definitely edgy. Someone tried to steal my daughter's civic a few weeks ago. Folks are getting houses broken into on my street. City officials are boarding up entrance into my neighborhood(doubt it make a difference). We are stuck! I am determined to protect my family but if I see human beings walking up and down my street with holstered side arms, I don't think it will make me feel better because I don't trust a soul.

Right now I do not plan to carry but with this beginning in July, I think I will stick a gun in my car.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just a heads up. In every state I've heard of with open carry laws, individual jurisdictions are given the authority to restrict it. So even though the state allows open carry, you could get arrested if the city or county your in doesn't allow it. (CC permits for concealed carry are different). The exception would be in your vehicle, but if vehicles are getting broken into are you wanting to leave a gun in there?

Just a couple things to think about.

If you decide that's what you need to do; I'd strongly encourage you to just get the permit rather than hope it all works out!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
IMHO, until you have given serious thought to the matter, and decided that you are willing to accept the burden of taking the life of another human, then do not carry a firearm. Carrying a firearm that you are unwilling to use with deadly force will only make a bad situation worse.

That said, I am an active promoter for firearm carry for those that are willing, and that understand the burden that comes with it. If you are one of these (or wish to be), then I strongly recommend you seek out local defense training firearm ranges. I assure you they are easy to find. Here, you will be taught not only how to use a firearm under stress, but -when- it is appropriate. That last point is critical! Ideally, you should do this type of training once a year or more to keep your skill-set usable.

Over the past several years, we have proven that concealed carry laws reduce violent crime, and that the citizens that carry are some of the most law-abiding folks in this nation. But that means nothing if you react in a bad way to a stressful situation and destroy your life. Please think about your decision all the way through.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
George Zimmerman is an example of what could happen to any individual who chooses to carry a gun. If that night he had left his gun at home, he could have been a neighborhood watchman, confronted the kid, got his tail kicked, and none of us would ever have known his name or Treyvon Martins'.

I don't want to be in a situation where I feel the need to use a weapon. Having access to a pistol always on my hip means only a matter of time and my chance will come. This is wrong!

However, having one in my car, whether it puts me in jeopardy with various county laws or not, is a risk I'm willing to take.

I don't think there is a man alive that knows just what he would do when facing a life or death threat... unless of course he has been down that road before.

Local law enforcement personnel are having meetings to get prepared for what they believe will be officers arriving on calls and seeing individuals wearing guns. They cannot ask to see a permit or license. I'm sure this will be unnerving if the general public begins taking advantage of this new law and carry holstered pistols.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Every man has an opinion!

I rarely see someone in my area with a holstered gun. From my previous perspective, when I did see someone, I assumed him to be a law official. I can't assume this anymore.

This is my concern! Before I held respect for a weaponized individual and now I will wonder if I'm looking at a nut.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I'm not really fond of open carry.

But, there is a lot of evidence that correlates CC laws with reductions in violent crime.
Of course, there are always different ways to interpret some data sets, and some people will contest those results.
One thing they don't even try to contest is the fact that there is no increase in violent crimes associated with CC laws.

When we look at the latest 'if it bleeds it leads' '24 hr news' shooting spree's, they are ALL at gun free zones.
Schools, college campus's, movie theaters, military bases.
(Fort Hood Gun Free?? What?? Yep, it's a gun free zone)

Laws restricting fire-arms do not prevent shootings.

You will probably see a few nuts when the law first goes into effect
But that will taper off very quick.
City's will rush to restrict carrying inside city limits, and it just won't be worth the trouble if you're only carrying it for kicks.

I would guess that MS has gun crime laws on the books that increase sentencing if a crime is committed while in possession of a gun.
These serve to keep your small time hoods from getting themselves into the big league by mistake.
The serious criminals don't really care what the MS legislature thinks about gun-control.

Odds are VERY unlikely that you will notice any difference.

Scott

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I have a concealed weapons permit. I carry everyday.

I don't mind open carry. The way I see it, it gives me the heads up on who has what. Given the choice, though - I wouldn't open carry. Not that it makes me nervous in any way. I guess I'm just of the mind that if anybody has to know I'm carrying, then it's all about to hit the fan - otherwise it doesn't harm anyway not knowing. And, since some folks are just skittish about that sort of thing - out of sight, out of mind.

I do not like putting my gun in a car. I want it on my person, under my control. If I have to go somewhere that I'm not legally permitted to carry, I'll lock it in the trunk, and retrieve it as soon as I'm able.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Daboo, keep in mind that its a federal law that convicted felons cannot own or carry handguns regardless of the state laws. You aren't going to see a bunch of nuts running around with guns on their hips. Not to mention; why would someone who has ill intentions attract that attention? It won't make you feel any better but the gangbangers and whack jobs (and law abiding citizens alike!) are concealing their guns. Some legally. Some not.

Missouri has allowed open carry for a long time and I rarely see it. Most are of the opinion that a concealed weapon is a better solution (if someone decides to rob the place you're at that gun becomes a big target!). A lady who owns a local gun store open carries. I know one LEO who does as well (In MO, cops are allowed to carry anywhere anytime, even if off duty and even in 'gun free zones', though most conceal when off duty)

I don't think you have any cause to be concerned. It's not gonna be an episode if some zombie show where everyone is running around with a shotgun over their shoulder. You're not in Texas! :p

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just a heads up. In every state I've heard of with open carry laws, individual jurisdictions are given the authority to restrict it.
Not in Georgia. No city, town, municipality, or county may make or enforce any gun laws more strict than the state law.

You do have to have a GA Weapons Carry License, but you can carry openly or concealed, your choice. Don't need the WCL for vehicle or home carry. And it covers knives over 5" as well as firearms.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Not in Georgia. No city, town, municipality, or county may make or enforce any gun laws more strict than the state law.

You do have to have a GA Weapons Carry License, but you can carry openly or concealed, your choice. Don't need the WCL for vehicle or home carry. And it covers knives over 5" as well as firearms.
Ah. Good to know.

I know in MO we keep hearing about guys getting arrested because they've open carried in THEIR hometown for years, but then they get into the suburbs and find themselves needing bail money!

Crazy how 10 feet across a city line can make something perfectly okay, or land you in jail.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Oregon is a open carry state. Some bigger city's in the valley have banned loaded firearms. In rural Oregon it's legal to open carry, but you almost never see it. Many people are armed, both in the rig and on the person for various reasons. It seems like open carry may cause problems in some situations. I don't see any real reason to show your gun.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Odds are VERY unlikely that you will notice any difference.
Scott, I believe there will be a tad disturbance in the force and everyone will simply continue there criminal ways.

I don't mind open carry. The way I see it, it gives me the heads up on who has what.
I feel the same way unless the guy/girl has a certain look that I don't like. The bottom line is I'd rather not see a firearm period but if I do, I'd feel more comfortable seeing a badge with it.

Not exactly sure about MS but I do know that any business can refuse admittance for anyone packing.

Crazy how 10 feet across a city line can make something perfectly okay, or land you in jail.
I have a feeling there will be some great event here that will cause law makers to have to tweak this thing or end it altogether. I think the overall feeling is split on this but I actually would be delighted if there is some downturn in the crime rate here. I'm sick of hearing about it... that is all that is on the stinking local news.

I am not living in fear but I'm in a constant state of awareness with the expectation someone else will be murdered or robbed. An elderly couple were killed a mile from my house 2 weeks ago over money from a guy that did some work for them. The woman killed was bedridden. Isn't that just stupid!!!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
George Zimmerman is an example of what could happen to any individual who chooses to carry a gun. If that night he had left his gun at home, he could have been a neighborhood watchman, confronted the kid, got his tail kicked, and none of us would ever have known his name or Treyvon Martins'.
Not necessarily. Treyvon could have just as easily kept bashing his head into the sidewalk until it split open and dumped his brains into the grass, got up and took his Skittles on home and never thought twice about killing George. You assume a criminal won't kill you - I know that far too many will kill. Sometimes for money, sometimes to maintain turf, sometimes just for fun.

In the locations that I have been in that allow carry, I seldom see a firearm. The percentage of folks that get a license is pretty small. It is enough however, to give the bad guys a moment's pause. Sometimes that is all you need.

This is not a 'scientific' observation, but criminals seldom use a holster, while legally carry citizens almost always do. When I carry, I'm not worried about impressing you, looking all 'bad-ass.' I am worried about comfort (metal sticking into my privates isn't fun to me), about security (don't need my firearm falling to the ground), about concealment (most of the time), and about ease of access if I need it. My holster costs as much as many of the junk firearms the bad guys wave around so that it will meet my requirements. As I said, not scientific, but if you see someone doing an open carry in a $150 holster, it's probably a good guy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mr. Phillips lives in an open carry state (Michigan) but holds a weapons license. I carry concealed and only a few times openly. If you have a cpl here it will void out the concealed issue of being armed and in your car. You can't see through a door so that is concealing here. I'm usually armed and and even more frequently in a good mood so rational thought is a high probability. I also have the ability to talk just about anyone out of an aggressive situation.
kp

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm usually armed and and even more frequently in a good mood so rational thought is a high probability.
I also have the ability to talk just about anyone out of an aggressive situation.
If you have such a great gift of gab, have a great outlook, and are a rational thinker, why do you need to carry? Someone needs to know!

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I'm a huge supporter of concealed carry. Open carry not so much. Seems like you're asking for trouble.
That said, I carry open while working on my farm or hog hunting, but not into town. However, crime seems to be going up everywhere...or at least that's what the media wants us to believe. I want the right to change my opinion on open carry depending on possible future scenarios. I doubt you'll see a lone open carry gunman who has ill-intent. I'm thinking they will be moving in groups. You may want to find another box of ammo.

·
Registered
372 Posts
open carry

If you have such a great gift of gab, have a great outlook, and are a rational thinker, why do you need to carry? Someone needs to know!
Because not everyone else is like that.

Where I came from about 25 % of the adult male population in the county had a concealed carry permit. You were mostly pretty safe there but bad people do not act rationally all that often.

Around here, Arizona is an open carry state and you can carry concealed without a permit. However, a permit allows you to carry concealed in more places and situation. I don't care for open carry around town, but usually don't feel any intimidation when I meet someone carrying openly.

Open carry by a guy with a badge does not make me feel any better, since they can throw their weight around they can be much more intimidating. However, if you are nice and they aren't having a bad hair day, there really isn't any problem.

I have a permit but don't carry all that often. It can be a nuisance up until the moment when you really need it.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
IMHO, until you have given serious thought to the matter, and decided that you are willing to accept the burden of taking the life of another human, then do not carry a firearm. Carrying a firearm that you are unwilling to use with deadly force will only make a bad situation worse.

That said, I am an active promoter for firearm carry for those that are willing, and that understand the burden that comes with it. If you are one of these (or wish to be), then I strongly recommend you seek out local defense training firearm ranges. I assure you they are easy to find. Here, you will be taught not only how to use a firearm under stress, but -when- it is appropriate. That last point is critical! Ideally, you should do this type of training once a year or more to keep your skill-set usable.

Over the past several years, we have proven that concealed carry laws reduce violent crime, and that the citizens that carry are some of the most law-abiding folks in this nation. But that means nothing if you react in a bad way to a stressful situation and destroy your life. Please think about your decision all the way through.
Old Bear, this is the most common sense post that I have read on here regarding self protection , well written. I do disagree with one part though ..
Over the past several years, we have proven that concealed carry laws reduce violent crime. In the land of OZ (Australia), since the Govt buy back, they have had a 80% reduction in firearms related crimes, that is significant.

My problem with the current law in the US is there is no common sense test, I have seen post on here where one guy carries 2 hand guns with him when he rides and was quite proud of the fact, he also stated that he didn't know why he did, as neither could be used with his gloves on.

For those expanding the George Zimmerman case, the facts are not yet out in the open for either side, they jury has just gone thru selection, and I'm sure there is a whole lot more information to come out. From my take on it, he was a self appointed neighbourhood watch busy body, who could not mind his own business who went looking for trouble and got it. Time will tell.

Having travelled ( and currently working 5 days a week there) the US from Hunts Point in NY to Compton in LA, I have never felt threatened or had the need for self protection, and lets face it, trucking routes never go thru the nice parts of town.

I feel Daboo's pain, I'm just not sure what the answer is.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
However, if you are nice and they aren't having a bad hair day, there really isn't any problem.
I live in a small town next to a larger one with high crime. It is one of the few, IMHO, where police pay attention and are doing their best to keep this town safe. The spill-over is very taxing on law enforcement. There are good law men and bad ones but I am always going to attempt to be on the right side of the law.

Those guys do NOT get paid enough!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts