Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
@vn750Guy

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain your thoughts on this. Insight into your experience as a member is very important to our team.

Note FocusRS.com was one of the first sites we migrated and we have had over 15 releases of updates and will continue to do so as we hear feedback and develop the product based upon users feedback.

We understand that there are some inherent changes in moving from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, vBulletin’s infrastructure does not provide the flexibility to be able to provide additional improvements. Continuing on that platform without the ability to maintain a better experience for all of you is just not an option moving forward. We know you expect and deserve continuous improvements over time.

In the past, we have upgraded more slowly. Unfortunately, this became technically difficult and often times would break other features when updates were attempted. Making the bigger investment now in the new platform sets us up to respond faster to your feedback moving forward.

Your security and data are extremely important to us. Modern software and upgrading systems are critical to keep us advanced in providing a better and more secure experience for you to share content. Not updating the software would have made that increasingly difficult over time as other technology advances.

I know it is frustrating when what is familiar changes, especially when some features you may have liked are not available on the new platform at first. We do have a process in place to track all the feedback members have made. That lets our product team know what areas are important to our members as the roadmap for short and long term evolves.

We should have some of the current major pain points resolved by the time the site is back up on the schedule for migration. Once I have another firm date I will keep you guys posted.

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Now this is more like it! Essentially real-time inputs, both ways. Thanks.

That being said, I still get the feeling of being thrown under the bus. Nothing has been said about moving away from the basic FocusRS.com look. A good deal has been said on additional things that can be done, yes, but not on changing what is the base-line issue which is the hideous look. I really do appreciate the interaction available to us now with the movers-n-shakers making this swap possible. Yet …….. I wasn't born yesterday.

I really don't think there is any malice aforethought in your thinking and I really DO think there is a lot of effort going on to upgrade the basic Xenforo with those additional improvements you've hinted at. Thanks for that. However what information coming our way seems to be emphasizing the very important, yet still side-stuff. These things being spoken of are no doubt cool and helpful and nice to have, and are improvements to be proud of. But …….

They are diversions from the base-line issue at hand. They're the toys given to a kid before they get the shot in the arm.

Let's cut to the chase: Is the layout going to be changed away from the hideous FocusRS.com example: Yes or no?

If "yes" then please make it similar in appearance to this (Or at least NOT like FocusRS.com). If "no" then our inputs are really amounting to nothing even with this much improved (and appreciated) conversation with the Administrative Team.

"The absolute best software in the world won't be of any good to you if your end-customers hate it and leave." (Hint: Layout) (Additional hint, Item #1 on your improvement roadmap: Layout, layout, layout)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I haven't had much time on the last couple days, so catching up now...

Admin: First, let me thank you for taking the time to actually speak with us on this matter. Many of us users truly love this forum, and more than a few rely on it for technical information to help keep our bikes on the road, find answers to those weird questions, and so on.

As VN750Guy has stated, the primary issue coming to light isn't your background software or platform, or however you wish to word it, but it is the graphic layout and visual experience from the user's perspective.

I fully understand the need to upgrade software and make system changes in the background. I am all for that, but it's not a sound idea if it drives away the majority of your core membership.

I am going to second VN750Guy's question:
Let's cut to the chase: Is the layout going to be changed away from the hideous FocusRS.com example: Yes or no?

Also, I started a poll myself to gauge the other user's feelings about the new layout... A link to it can be found in my signature. I haven't been promoting the poll much, so there are only a few votes on it (13 at last count), but the results show a very clear line.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Simply put, no.

Not to say the fuglyness will be permanent, but don't expect the "additional features" being promised to make a prom queen out of a pig in a dress. There are other themes available but the ones I've seen seem to follow the same core layout. The format you know and love will soon be dead.

They made the change to riderforums,com a few weeks ago and it blows donkey. I've pretty much abandoned that site. I just pop in for a few seconds in the morning, to check the for sale thread, then I'm out.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That's a damn shame. Damn shame.

Admin: Let's hear you say that, then. Right now from my personal perspective that is the only issue there is. I mean its nice that you are working on the other assorted improvements, yes, but all of your efforts are like putting new guns, new state-of-the art radar, and new upgraded toilets on a sinking ship. Nice as they are they can't stop the ship from sinking. It will be a wasted expenditure of time and energy on Admin's part to continue, just as it was for us to fight to get our point across. Nothing, nothing short of plugging that big hole called "layout" will stop the rising water. I have bailed enough.

Even if you CAN change the layout later, I'll never know because once the format is changed over, and it looks hideous, I'll stay long enough to make certain its crap before writing one last goodbye thread. I won't hang around and hope it will get better. I won't bother to look at the improvements made. It'll be say goodbye and delete the shortcut from my computer.

So if its not going to change from that terminal format of extinction BEFORE the migration, let us officially know now please so I can cease efforts into trying to revive something certain to die.

The root cause of this grief isn't the sorry software itself, its the decision way back in time to switch to this sorry software. Someone should have had a clue that such a radical change would be ill-advised.

But until I hear it from Admin, I'll hold out a glimmer of hope that CRU is wrong. But I don't think he is. Wow, this is like watching the forum go into hospice and I, we, are on a death watch.

One thousand, one hundred and seven posts (at the time I write this one) only to see it go "poof" like a bad fart. I already miss the crowd in here.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I just looked at riderforums.com. CRU, you're right. It blows donkey! (love that phrase) What an empty, characterless, hopeless, eye-sore!

Come on Jeff! Come on Niall! Its fish or cut bait time. Yes or no? Will the visual appearance be like that or will you guys kill off all of the good will made since you started actually conversing with us?

That yes or no will be definitive as to whether you're attacking item #1 on your road map, or you're blowing air up our skirts. I feel a draft.....

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Sorry for the delay in response guys, buried in migrations.

To be short and frank to the question, yes the site will be changing to this format (https://www.fordgt500.com/) in the near future with no firm date as of right now.

We are working on some additional updates to widescreen view, search updates, multi-quote, among others that should be ready in the coming weeks to improve the experience.

Once I have a firm date I will let you know.

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, there you have it. Jeff, thanks for the reply.

Also thanks to the entire Admin team. Thanks for choosing a format that is certain to kill the forum in my opinion.

Thanks for not having the business acumen to figure that out however far back in time it was that the powers-that-be made the decision to go and try such garbage, or so is my opinion. It took cajones to pick such a horrible format.

Thanks for spreading this mess, not just in THIS forum but across others with more probably to come. The ENTIRE motorcycle culture represented by the forums Motorcycle.com owns will feel the pain of this. Motorcycle.com should forever be shamed!! But they won't since they apparently don't care. At least that's all my opinion.

And lastly, also in my opinion, thanks for being so tone-deaf as all of the above definitely proves. Its awe inspiring.

To all of the personalities I've met over the 1,111 posts I've made here, I say a heartfelt goodbye. Good luck to you in all endeavors. We gave it a good shot but the deck was stacked against us. I'll be hanging out in VROC, VRA (where these Admin type do not hold sway) and in the Kawasaki Vulcan Owners Group on FaceBook. But I am done here. This ship is doomed and its time to swim away now.

I'm very sorry to see my favorite forum KNOWINGLY flushed down a toilet by people that KNOW the users hate what is happening. Time to move on now. There's no sense in conversing with an Admin on such a one-track minded course. Layout, layout, layout...……...

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Well, there you have it. Jeff, thanks for the reply.

Also thanks to the entire Admin team. Thanks for choosing a format that is certain to kill the forum in my opinion.

Thanks for not having the business acumen to figure that out however far back in time it was that the powers-that-be made the decision to go and try such garbage, or so is my opinion. It took cajones to pick such a horrible format.

Thanks for spreading this mess, not just in THIS forum but across others with more probably to come. The ENTIRE motorcycle culture represented by the forums Motorcycle.com owns will feel the pain of this. Motorcycle.com should forever be shamed!! But they won't since they apparently don't care. At least that's all my opinion.

And lastly, also in my opinion, thanks for being so tone-deaf as all of the above definitely proves. Its awe inspiring.

To all of the personalities I've met over the 1,111 posts I've made here, I say a heartfelt goodbye. Good luck to you in all endeavors. We gave it a good shot but the deck was stacked against us. I'll be hanging out in VROC, VRA (where these Admin type do not hold sway) and in the Kawasaki Vulcan Owners Group on FaceBook. But I am done here. This ship is doomed and its time to swim away now.

I'm very sorry to see my favorite forum KNOWINGLY flushed down a toilet by people that KNOW the users hate what is happening. Time to move on now. There's no sense in conversing with an Admin on such a one-track minded course. Layout, layout, layout...……...
Stick around we will have plenty of improvements coming out over the next few months. Once you get past the learning curve it will fell like second nature

Jeff M

·
Registered
359 Posts
Once you get past the learning curve it will fell like second nature
The problem has nothing to do with not know HOW to use the site. It's the fact that the interface is a piss poor design that is tedious and annoying to use. I've used it on the other site. I STILL cannot tell which thread has a new message and which doesn't. The "bold" highlight on the thread doesn't differentiate the newly updated thread very well from the older threads.

It seems more like you're saying "stick around, you'll get used to how crappy it is and eventually not care". That's a big no from me and many others. But I get it. Functionality behind the scenes is more important to the brass then the usability up front. They need to remember, it doesn't matter how great the ship runs if no one is aboard to ride it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
@Admin:

Once you get past the learning curve it will fell like second nature

Jeff M
The "learning curve"? Really?

How does a "learning curve" for features apply to the absolutely horrible layout? It's bland, it's unprofessional, and kids in both of my local high schools are already creating better. I know this for a fact, my youngest brother is in one of those classes, and he shows me what he's working on. He's already doing better webpage layouts.

Stick around we will have plenty of improvements coming out over the next few months.
Improve the layout and color schemes prior to implementation. Then you have a chance of keeping your core membership happy. Very, very few will be willing to wait months in hopes that you will finally listen and change things for the better. You probably wouldn't wait around in such a case, so why should we?

Remember, it's the members who directly or indirectly pays your salary... take care of them and you have job security. Run them off and your revenue leaves with them. With the revenue leaving, so does your position. Very simple business math. I can break it down even further if needed.

One other note:

Admin, check the poll located in my signature. Or have you and that's where the only 2 for in support of the change came from?

·
Registered
27 Posts
There are a couple of important things that I'll be watching...

1. Keep the "New Posts" button. I can't find it anymore on riderforums.com and it's important as a quick way to see what's been posted since I was there last.

2. Do not let all your onscreen ads cause the page to jump around. Your current site does this and it's very aggravating. I've accidentally clicked on an ad once or twice when the page moved quickly, which is typically against the ad networks TOS anyway.

3. Improve performance. Your current ad networks slow the site down noticeably.

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hello Members,

We wanted to communicate that the new migration date will be scheduled for Friday, October 11th.

Thank you so much for all your patience.

~ Community Support

·
Registered
359 Posts
Have they addressed any of the concerns? BTW, addressed means FIXED. Not acknowledge, ignore, and worry about it much later ... if at all.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.