Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The thought just occurred to me that only one member of Admin actually seems to interact with the forum on a regular basis and that is MN-rider. This individual may not have anything to do with the team involved with the forum software swap but still.....

I wonder if a PM to him/her (or several PMs) would garner a response from those that are directly involved. Hmmmmmmmm……………...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I didn't really want to go that far in my thoughts on the new site but to be brutally honest, they're about the same. Its not so much that its different (people tend to not like "change" too much) and it DOES seem to operate differently, but mostly its that visually its pretty awful. I mean awful.

Whoever designed it needs to get back on their medication. I just don't know how long I can handle the visuals. I'll give it a shot but I believe the handwriting is on the wall.

This is one of my main forums but that looks like it'll soon change (no pun intended). If Motorcycle.com is directing the change to this specific new format then that's just another reason for me to not like them.
I hate to say it, but I agree completely with your assessment. This looks just like the MS Office365 Portal system I have to deal with at work. Absolute crap. I will give the new format a fair shot because I love the people here, but honestly, in my opinion that is the worst thing to happen to the internet since I first logged on in 1993.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The opening thread mentioned something about "Xenforo" software. Same thing as MS Office365 Portal?

If its crap, why choose it?

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yep. 100% against, so far.

I wonder if MN-Rider, or "Jeff M" would be so kind as to give us the proper screen name/address/whatever so we could directly PM the Administrative Team associated with the changeover? (My attempts to PM the "Administrative Team" and "Jeff M" were unsuccessful as those specific names don't exist.)

Over in the other, related thread "Proposed forum changes" Archie stated that he didn't think too many forum members were even aware of the upcoming changes. That may be an accurate opinion. Damned if I know of a way to spread the word any further than this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree... I'm open to any ideas anyone has short of posting it in every thread or individually PMing members. I will not go that far... too close to a spam email campaign for my tastes there. Besides, I'm sure somewhere there is a policy or rule I would violate in doing so. Besides, it's just not cool...

I did add a link to the poll into my signature (or tried to, at this point it hasn't been long enough to take effect)

On the plus side, when I load the initial page for the forum here, this thread is at the top of the recent most active list, and with the title "We are moving", I'm sure that has grabbed a few users attention.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
PMing additional people that have not yet popped into the thread probably wouldn't work anyway. Plus, I agree, that's a bit more pro-active than I am prepared to go. I'd PM the Administrative Team if I could but they are directly involved in this anyway.

I'd e-mail anyone in Motorcycle.com if I think it would make a difference. But it won't. They don't reply to me anyway.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have sent a host of emails over the past few days, mostly at motorcycle.com staff. A friend of mine is doing some research to locate some of the staff who would be directly involved in the behind the scenes side of things in hopes of emailing them with our concerns. Since all email addresses on the .com format are considered public domain, there is nothing that prevents us from emailing them all.

Thankfully, I have a few other contacts I have made in the business world who are willing to step up a bit and give me a hand.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have just sent Motorcycle.com my third e-mail, two of which has requested their reply, in this thread, to our concerns and comments. There will be more. No response so far.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I sent them a fourth e-mail AND I also wrote to the company that owns Motorcycle.com, folks called Verticalscope.

https://www.verticalscope.com/contact/

My thrust in the VerticalScope e-mail was that Motorcycle.com refuses to reply at all and to please help us in that regard.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
The opening thread mentioned something about "Xenforo" software. Same thing as MS Office365 Portal?

If its crap, why choose it?
First, some quick research indicates that Xenforo is not associated with MS, they just jumped on board with that look.

As for the switch to O365, where I work it was cost savings.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Just sent my fourth request for them to reply in here. Fifth e-mail overall.

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hey guys,

Apologies for not replying to this thread sooner. I'm not too sure how this thread went on for so long without a response from us (the long weekend didn't help either) but I'll get it looked into. I read through the thread (again apologies if I'm missing anything) and the main point seems to be about the layout. We're currently working on making the layout better for users. I think since we migrated our first site over onto the new platform we've had 16 different update packs rolled out all based on user feedback. We're still changing things to make a better experience, that's why it was decided to pull back on the conversions for a little while to allow us to roll out further updates to make the sites easier to navigate for users.

Another point raised was why are we moving to Xenforo. Xenforo is the most up to date and popular forum software at the moment. At the moment with the current site software, we are heavily dependent on 3rd party plugins. The problem with this is when these plugins break/become end of life we have very little control in fixing them. For a long time, we've been applying band-aid fixes which are fine for the time being but don't actually address the issue. With the move to Xenforo, we're able to have complete control over the plugins/features we use and we'll be able to support and fix them. We're trying to future proof our sites and be able to be proactive rather than reactive.

We do realise that change is difficult and there will be pain points along the way, but we're 100% committed to listening to any and all feedback from the community and actioning and addressing any issues that come up along the way. I'll personally checkin on this thread and answer any questions you guys have to the best of my ability, and again apologies for how long it took for this thread to get a response.

Niall

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hello all,

Reaching out here and apologize for the delay in any responses as we have been a little short-staffed and had recent Holidays.

Update the website migration date has been bumped with the new date TBD.

We will be working on adding additional features and making refinements to the new platform before the next move date. Once I have more details I will keep you guys posted.

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Niall and Jeff: Thank you for replying.

This next statement is not to be read as if I am arguing a point because that's not how I intend it to be. Niall, you said that Xenforo is the most popular forum software at the moment. My question is "With whom?" because its not popular with users, apparently. I also speak with people in other forums that have had run-ins with it and they hate it. Some, like some people in this forum have stated, have stopped going to that other forum with the Xenforo software. (My own son, is in several truck forums that you have nothing to do with. One changed to Xenforo and he stopped visiting that site because he hated it so much.) Some, are in other Motorcycle.com forums and have expressed to me that they really don't want to leave their forum but probably will if the format shown to us at FocusRS.com is the style being changed to. So it doesn't appear popular at all with users. Behind the screen = popular. In front of the screen = NO.

No one on here questions Motorcycle.com's right to make updates nor do we question your natural desire to make it better behind-the-scenes as we refer to it. The business reasons to update are solid. That being said the absolute best software in the world won't be of any good to you if your end-customers, us, hate it and leave.

Speaking strictly for myself now, I don't mind if the visuals are different from this one is right now. But ……. please do what you can to be as close as you can to this. Pretty much any user ability loss from what we have right now is not going to go over well.

I am also disappointed on the apparent loss on the display with Xenforo of both the information currently shown on the left side of the screen (for some reason I am brain farting of what its called!) that shows the picture and quick info about where I am from and some bike information, as well as the information displayed below, the signature. When looking at the Xenforo example (FocusRS.com) none of that shows. What does show IF you hold the cursor over the screen name of the person writing is information that I don't care about AT ALL. That's worth repeating: AT ALL.

So please, if you can, make it show what you see right now. This info is useful to people. They can see what you ride as well as whatever history/info you choose to tell them in a signature. You can tell something about the person at a glance. Xenforo (at least in that FocusRS.com version) is clinical, sterile, useless. It has no character to it.

I did not try to navigate around in the FocusRS.com site. So I cannot speak from personal attempts to find older threads and so forth. One of the great things about online forums as opposed to Facebook sites is that forums are great at maintaining old stuff/threads in easy-to-find ways. Facebook is more transitory and useless for finding long term memory storage. This ability of forums make them a great place to research information should we have maintenance problems with our machines.

Vn750.com is the absolute best example I can think of that exemplifies this ability as it is an absolutely fantastic place for one-stop shopping for all knowledge on the 750 Vulcan. Its the best, single repository of all-things-750, period. I implore you to simply either leave that site alone or do it last after you've worked out ALL of the bugs in other forums.

StarBike Forum is another very good forum, almost a clone for this site, vulcanforums. The character and "feel" of that site, just like this one, is a combination of the current format and the personalities that inhabit it. I really, truly don't want to see it destroyed either.

As for THIS site, the writing is on the wall about changing it. I'll ask if you could possibly send out examples of formats so you can get some feedback from us BEFORE its set in stone. Set a timeframe for our replies to get back to you or it would get out of control real quick.

We're looking forward to ongoing and timely back-n-forths with you.

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks for the reply.

The new software will still be on the same platform and template as the other you mentioned above however we are working on some additional features that will improve the user experience.

We will do our best to give you guys advance notice and hopefully have some more improvements ready for you guys are this new platform is constantly evolving. Hoping for additional ways to custmized your view and personalize it even more.

More info to follow as it becomes available.

Jeff M

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thank you very much for addresing our concerns, so the change in format is a done deal , I agree 100% with VN750Guy** try and take into account our opinions and make the changes trying to keep it as close as it is right now for the user , also it would be nice if you make sure that the majority of the members know of the intended change , it's my feeling that this particular subject is not widely known among the members , so if you can make it more known it would be nice , also a administrator's organized poll on the subject would also be nice, once again thank you for your attention.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
"The new software will still be on the same platform and template as the other you mentioned above however we are working on some additional features that will improve the user experience."

We're not all negative about this Jeff/Niall but ...….well, if what you meant by that is that it'll still look like FocusRS.com then those "additional features" had best be some REALLY, REALLY exceptional features to overcome the 6 feet deep and rectangular hole that that format has dug itself into. As Niall correctly stated the main point is the layout although I would word it as one of the main points, as there are several points of contention/concern.

Of course, its a waste of time to comment (one way or another) on it until we see it (BEFORE its implemented please).

Allow me to make a general suggestion. This is just a suggestion to use as a guide and you're free to blow this off if you want to: Print out this slightly edited line from what I wrote earlier and display it wherever your team members work: "The absolute best software in the world won't be of any good to you if your end-customers hate it and leave." (Hint: Layout)

Its been my personal experience in life that a large portion of improvements in things, really aren't. They're just changes. The users here don't really want changes or even improved changes. But improved versions of what we already have would be nice. Or close to it. Please. It may not seem this way but we're rooting for you to pull this off.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.