Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Administrator
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello all,

There were some additional complications with the migration of the community and we have rolled the site back until we can investigate further.

We have pushed the date back to TBD for now and will announce once we know more.

Jeff M

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Jeff, can you write back and address the concerns posted in this thread?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes Jeff (or any admin in charge), I am seconding VN750Guy here...

Can we please address the concerns that have been being posted along this thread?

On a side note, I noticed every forum listed Jeff's signature follow the same basic layout we have here, except the KTM Forum which is on the new proposed layout.

User for user, all of the other forums have a higher posting frequency and more user throughput than the KTM forum, which has seen a decline.

It's amazing the things you can figure out with a couple basic utilities and a little know how...

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
To the Administrators: If/when you reply please try to minimize how the new format will work so well behind the scenes. We concede the wisdom of a better running program. Granted. On that there are no issues at all. But we also don't care.

I, for one, am far more interested in why you have consciously chosen such a new format that is so extremely different, so disconnected in appearance and USER-functionality from the current format, yet you think we will "like" it? (Weed must be legal in your state.) Don't explain it from a tech viewpoint but from the viewpoint of someone sitting at home that has lost all familiarity and comfort with "their" forum. We may not really own it but the users sure as hell will decide if it survives, regardless of how technically better it is from an Administrator perspective.

Sure, you asked for our inputs and suggestions but you asked for them AFTER its a done deal, not before. Did you give any thought at all about getting suggestions BEFORE you decided on a final format? If so, I must have missed that thread.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad change is at least "delayed", would have preferred it was done "due to user concerns and need to address same" rather than "additional complications with the migration". Sorry, you guys had a chance to score some points with users and blew it!!!

I've been coming here and checking this thread without logging on. Think that's been a mistake. ALL.....log on every time you open this thread as I'm sure "they" can monitor that....let them know how concerned/interested we all are about this and what's done.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
this will probably be my last post on this Forum, because I am not going to this so-called New-And-Improved one, stuff it, good-bye folks
I'll search another way to get my fix on motorcycles but You can say adios amegos

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I might end up going on the Harley forum, they seem to have things right

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Every single comment made so far on the new format, since they sent a link to a new-format type forum, has been negative. Every single one!

I'll be surprised if an Administrator graces us with their explanation. And if they do, it'll still be heavy on the tech side of why but little to none as to why the "face" of the forum changes so drastically.

I'll wait until the change is made to see if they've listened or not before I bail. I wonder if they even read these things or not.

I agree with Paul. Sign in, log onto this thread, and state your feelings about the user changes they want to make.

Either that or e-mail Motorcyle.com at: [email protected]

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
or what about the vulcan baggers forum, or vroc forum, there might even be one on delphi forums, but this one will end up losing 90% users

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I can't speak about the Vulcan bagger's forum since I don't own an authentic bagger. I can speak about VROC, however. I like it. But the culture there is mostly older folks, and the forum seems to be maybe 30% motorcycle threads versus 70% political commentary threads, sometimes heated commentaries. Its a great place to go comment on social issues and yet can still get some motorcycle help, too.

Most of the community there think nothing of making multi-day, multi-state rides whereas I can't afford the time to do so. Its no big deal that my bike is half the size of most in there either, so btom you're ok with an 800 there. Any Vulcan is fine.

The format is different, there is no posting of pics for instance, but its not difficult to understand at all.

Another possibility is the Vulcan Riders Association (VRA) forum. Currently there's not a lot of movement in there, they don't have near the volume of entries as here for instance, but the forum is not in any danger of any sort, either. Good people there, too, once you get used to the personalities that are in any given forum.

VRA is another, different format but takes no time to get used to. You can post pics there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I totally missed the idea of logging in so the admin could track the postings and visits themselves. Good catch TrapperAH1G!

And, in all honesty, I can deal with a slightly slower loading forum, or a little more data usage since I do most of my online work via wifi anyway.

The visuals though, are one thing I won't deal with.

Hey Admin, how about a compromise...

Do whatever you need to do behind the scenes, but keep the current visual and user format and layout? And please don't tell me that's not possible... I know better.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
ADMIN: I second that! Make it as close to this, if not identical, as you can.

Still, let's hear some replies back from you!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
lets be honest about this, cause i think what will happen is the forum owners and programmers will do what's convenient and easier for them versus making the forum USER friendly, oh there's my cynical thinking coming out about programmers making their job easier

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
750guy, i think the best option is to keep complaining, maybe they will reconsider, it's worth a try

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Btom: I am thinking the same way. This has always been my opinion of Motorcycle.com, although I am willing to concede that it may not be the way the entire organization is but just the forum Administration "team". Somebody is tone-deaf to customers. As I said, sure they asked for our opinions and suggestions but only after the deal is done. Nothing, absolutely nothing that they've communicated to us users so far has indicated that they have any inclination to listen or respond to our opinions or suggestions.

But, I also, like you, still think that the only possibility for us is to raise enough hell for them to at least respond. Yet I doubt that will happen too, because it won't be a conversation that they'd enjoy. What can they do to me? Ban me? I'd be leaving anyway if they don't LISTEN and make the assorted changes mentioned in this thread.

I feel like a 20MM anti-aircraft gunner on a sinking WW2 warship. The ship is going down but I will continue firing at the enemy until the water closes over my head.

In the meantime everybody: Sign into this thread and make your opinion on the new format known. And write to Motorcycle.com at: [email protected]

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello all I know change is good , but not always and especially not here, this forum is like an old friend and real friends stay the same throughout time , yes they get old or outdated but in essence they remain the same and that is what makes them your friends . So please keep our friend the way it is .

·
Registered
359 Posts
Unfortunately, it might not be so easy to just leave things the way they are. I've worked in IT for over 20 years. Sometimes things have to be updated regardless of how fugly or piss poor designed the new user interface is. I.e. think Windows 7 to Windows 8. I can only speculate the change is for security or compatibility issues instead of an aesthetic change (a really stupid reason btw). But if the version of software currently being used is no longer supported by the developer, they have to either upgrade or change to a different software. Staying put can open the site up to vulnerabilities. Upgrading is almost always faster and easier than replacing. Swapping to a new software could take days or even weeks. Remember, it's all about revenue flow so they will not take down the site for that long.

It's good that everyone is voicing their concerns and opinions. Just realize they may not have the option to just leave it as is. What should be done is gauge the opinions of the users before changing things to see if the new software will go over well and plan an update or replacement accordingly. Even if it's update for now and replacement scheduled 6 months out, keep the users informed because honestly this new software is going to drive users away like a plague.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
True words. The WAY they have rolled out the swap out was VERY badly done. As you've said they should have "gauged the opinions of the users before changing things to see if the new software will go over well and plan an update or replacement accordingly". Operative word there is BEFORE.

So now that its been voiced about the total FUBAR'd way they started this, I'm willing to put that in the past IF and only IF they start interacting with us now and answer to the posts about changing the new look. Real time, interactive replies, not a "canned" response.

Based on their past responses, I have a vote of "no confidence" in the Administrative team (not that it may matter to them). They only truly responded to us once, when I asked them to show us another forum with the same look to it as the proposed change so we can see what it looks like. They did, to their credit, respond with a link to the FocusRS.com forum. So that shows that they do, or at least did, follow this thread. But since then its been one way communication only. We don't know if they are still reading this thread and therefore choose not to reply or if they stopped reading it altogether. If they are still reading it, what are they doing about it?

Pink Floyd has a line in a piece, Sorrow is the name of it I believe, that can apply to many facets in life. It goes like this "There's a silence that speaks so much louder than words, of promises broken.". Their silence here is speaking quite loudly. Each of us are hearing slightly different things but none of us like it.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.