Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a year long deployment. I was checking out this bike for a while. Just bought a 2009 Vulcan 900 custom. At certain times even when the engine is warm (while riding) the idle wont back off. It's not a normal high idle it's a very very high idle.

This is my first bike so any and all suggestions that anyone has would be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Just got back from a year long deployment. I was checking out this bike for a while. Just bought a 2009 Vulcan 900 custom. At certain times even when the engine is warm (while riding) the idle wont back off. It's not a normal high idle it's a very very high idle.

This is my first bike so any and all suggestions that anyone has would be most appreciated.
Need clarification. Is the high idle only when you've first started the bike, even when the engine is warmed up? If not and it just seems to come and go then you may want to lube and adjust your throttle cables and be sure you don't feel any binding when you open and close the throttle (engine off). Both cables can be adjusted where the cables leave the grip. The return cable should have little to no slack when the throttle is closed. The open cable should be adjusted so the grip will have about an 1/8 or 3/16 inch of free movement.
If the high idle is when you first start the bike, then there's an adjustment screw on the throttle body linkage that will drop the startup idle to something reasonable. The only way to get to that screw is having someone open the throttle fully and you will see the adjustment screw facing down.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
The throttle plates and bores could need cleaning also. They get a carbon like ring that sometimes doesn't let the throttle close fully.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Mine did that. I don't know what causes it. When I put on a FI2000 it never happened again. I don't know if one caused the other, I'm just sayin'.

For now, just try shutting the bike off and restarting it. That usually worked on mine. Usually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The high idle I'm talking about doesnt just happen at start up. I can ride the highway for an hour and when I come back into town and hit the first light, I won't be moving but my bike will still be running at half throttle. I've tried rolling the throttle foward and that does nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
The high idle I'm talking about doesnt just happen at start up. I can ride the highway for an hour and when I come back into town and hit the first light, I won't be moving but my bike will still be running at half throttle. I've tried rolling the throttle foward and that does nothing.
Sounds like a good cleaning, as pacomutt suggests, is the first order of business then lube and adjust the throttle cables. If that doesn't help then I suggest you check for any faults stored in the memory of the ECU. The only other thing I can think of that can jack up the idle besides a vacuum leak is the motor drive that sets the fast idle at startup and also modulates your secondary throttle plates. Remove your air cleaner including the back plate and have a good look around the throttle body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. Tomorrow is a new day and I will surely look into what you've mentioned. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Sounds like a good cleaning, as pacomutt suggests, is the first order of business then lube and adjust the throttle cables. If that doesn't help then I suggest you check for any faults stored in the memory of the ECU. The only other thing I can think of that can jack up the idle besides a vacuum leak is the motor drive that sets the fast idle at startup and also modulates your secondary throttle plates. Remove your air cleaner including the back plate and have a good look around the throttle body.
Seemed to me like there was a "sticky" or something about the throttle plate cleaning. Do you remember that, Sojourner?:confused:
Maybe it's in the "russian wolf" stuff.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=255642#post255642

But, first.
1.Make sure the 9 settles in to low idle before u take off. Thre are instances where I have been itchy for a quick take-off and the bike's idle did extremely "funny things". ...such as staying at high idle.
2.Check your idle...there is an adjustment knob on the side of the air breather cover. Optimum idle is 950 after warm-up.
regards, SH

http://www.gadgetjq.com/tb_cleaning.htm

That second link will take u right to the throttle body cleaning Pac was talkin about...

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Thanks Silent! I knew I'd seen it somewhere. Just use nothing abrasive in the throttle bore; don't scratch it at all. Spray some cleaner on to soften it, and then gently wipe with a soft cloth or gun patch soaked with the throttle bore cleaner. Even the carbon you're wiping away will want to scratch the aluminum bore.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1 to checking your idle setting. If you set the idle when the bike is cold it'll run real funky on ya. (After cleaning the throttle body, that is. No sense adjusting it if that hasn't been done, don't mask the problem!)

There was a recall on some 900's regarding some faulty ECU settings that could cause funky idling, dying in gear, etc. Check Kawasaki.com and enter your VIN and see if there is any recalls for your bike.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Believe me....taking off on my bike.....without letting it "settle down" to 950 first....is a curious and "unsettling" adventure. I pulled up at a stop sign about 1000 yards away....and she was idling at about 2500....lol. Tried it again yesterday for "sh%%% and giggles"....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts