Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried water wetter in my 2010 Voyager with 600 miles and it works. I drained the coolant and flushed with distilled water. I used a 30% mixture of coolant with water and added 1 oz. of water wetter per quart of new coolant. My results were the temp gauge now sits just above the half way mark at cruising speed where before it was at 3/4. In slow moving traffic and red lights the cooling fan still comes on but cuts off quicker. I live in Augusta, Georgia and these results were in 96 degree temperature days. I am still not completely satisfied with how hot this bike is but this has made an improvement and for the cost it is well worth it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
you want to see your temp go down, get some fuel managment and slip ons. at crusing speeds on 90 degree weather, my temp setts half way under the half mark, so i gues that would be inbetween the 2nd and third mark.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that these bikes (at least my bike) do not run as hot as we think. While in Sturgis on a really hot day (97 degrees) I shot the top of my radiator with an infra red temp gauge. I just returned from a 170 mile ride, I let it idle while I went in to get the gauge, the fan was running and the temp was 194 degrees. This was a similar circumstance to sitting at a stoplight. 194 is not all that bad. That's about what my Cummins Diesel in our Bus runs at idle, and its radiator is darn close to as big as the entire Voyager. The heat has to go somewhere from this big engine and yes you're sitting in the path of where it has to go.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Dr.G you are 100% right on the temps and where the heat goes. What everyone feels is the heat from the fan on the left side of the motor. The right side gets partially blocked and directed under the bike by the exhaust shielding coming out of the front cylinder. Now make a shield like that on the left side and you won't feel the heat as much. You can't eliminate the heat everyone has a heat pump between their legs...lol

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I can't say whether the bikes need it or not, but Water Wetter certainly does work. The first time I used it was on a car with a sensitive aftermarket temp-gauge, and in all conditions I could see the system working cooler for given known routes, and also getting cooler faster after getting on the throttle for a while or in traffic jams.

Race bikes usually use nothing but distilled water and Water Wetter (no coolant what-so-ever).

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I went with Engine Ice and it did the same thing. Runs cooler. I don't know about water wetter, but engine ice is good to -26 degrees. No mixing. Bit pricey but still better than stock coolant. To me it is only hot when the fan comes on sitting still or less then 25 mph. Other than that it's no hotter than or less hot than all those Patrol Harley's I rode for 20 years.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Your like me. I have never heard of water wetter.... We need sub zero coolant here.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Went to Orlando 4 years ago to see some guys I used to work with in the Air Force... They work at the cape. Felt like I was walking in a hard fog the whole time I was there. I am used to 4 percent humidity. But still had fun... Wanted to bring home a Manatee... I did get an awesome tour of the place.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The ONLY problem that I can see with using Engine Ice is the fact that your entire cooling system has to be flushed prior to its use. NO Ethylene Glycol can be in the system at all. This also means that while on the road, should you ever have to top off the overflow tank you better have some Engine Ice on hand.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Dr.G said.....
The ONLY problem that I can see with using Engine Ice is the fact that your entire cooling system has to be flushed prior to its use. NO Ethylene Glycol can be in the system at all. This also means that while on the road, should you ever have to top off the overflow tank you better have some Engine Ice on hand.

You can put water in it in an emergency.. After 11 years and 150k miles on a Venture the only time I ever had to top off the expansion tank was when I flushed and changed the coolant per maint schedule. We have to carry extra gas depending on which way we leave from my home town so carrying a couple pints of coolant aint no problem either.

This is from the Engine Ice web site:

What do I do in an emergency if I have an issue and need some Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant on the track, trail or side of the road?

If you have lost coolant and are in an emergency situation, we recommend you add only water, a good bottled water preferably, and once you get the chance make any necessary repairs, flush the system and replace with 100% Engine Ice for optimum results and protection.

Here is the Engine Ice web site:

http://www.engineice.com

Any questions????

·
Registered
120 Posts
I added this to the coolant along with dropping the antifreeze ration down to 30% which will hold me to about 20F and as it stored in my basement - never gets below 50F.

I made a big difference in both comfort and the frequency of the fan starts and stops. I am running Amsoil synthetic and could not be happier.
I have the Amsoil coolant additive (similar to WW) for when I do the coolant change this winter.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Bobh344 said...........I made a big difference in both comfort and the frequency of the fan starts and stops.

You hit the nail on the head. Its all about keeping that dang fan from coming on.

Has anyone tried different temp thermostats? No thermostat?

The HD air deflector I put on the bottom triple tree yesterday works. We had a 100 degree day today and the fan only came on a couple of times in my normal running around. That and the Engine Ice I am quite happy now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Bobh344 said...........I made a big difference in both comfort and the frequency of the fan starts and stops.

You hit the nail on the head. Its all about keeping that dang fan from coming on.

The HD air deflector I put on the bottom triple tree yesterday works. We had a 100 degree day today and the fan only came on a couple of times in my normal running around. That and the Engine Ice I am quite happy now.

Interesting....got a part # for that? :)

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
I got the Drag Specialties air baffle for the FLHT/FLH series Harley from the Phat Book from my local MC repair shop. (repairs all brands mostly Harley)
Item# DS222979, out of the Phat Book page 57 I think… $20 bucks
Old # 5852079B

Trimmed the center out some, drilled 2 5/32 holes, use pop rivet and black RTV. Good snug fit does not vibrate, looks like it belongs there. I did not use those big holes, I made new 5/32 ones closer to the center and just a hair higher up.

I can send you the email I have been sending out if you like... I did have a boo boo but it was my fault... but it did not change anything.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Bubba, if you get a chance and a infra red temp gauge, shoot the top of your radiator after a long ride in hot temps. Let it idle until the fan comes on if you would as that's how I did mine. I'm curious as to how much lower your coolant temp is compared to mine with the stock coolant and Water Wetter. As for my previous post about the only problem with using Engine Ice is flushing the cooling system. I was told by a shop in Rapid City that the flush had to be a 3 step process (3 different flushes) as any remaining coolant could gel up and clog the radiator and or cooling ports in the engine. I'm not against flushing a cooling system, but I just was not too eager to do it on a 5 month old bike when something else (Water Wetter) may do the trick.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Well actually I flushed mine 5 times.... with distilled water. I do not have a infra red thingy... and its funny... my dealer which is the largest Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and some HD in Nevada said all they do is just flush and put in engine ice. They put it in everything they sell... That's how I found out about it.... Right no it is 120 degrees in Vegas... only 90 here today so far.

Engine ice is a pretty blue. the coolant in my expansion tank is still blue. I do not think I had any residual coolant in it. Flushing the Voyager is easier than a lot of other motorcycles I have owned.

One thing I have found in 50 years of riding, no two dealers/shops ever agree on anything. Only what benefits them....

All I can tell you is mine is definitely running cooler according to my temp gauge going down the highway and around town with what I have done in 100 degree heat. Besides wouldn't the temp be the same on ALL of the Voyagers if you let it idle til the fan comes on? Its the temp that makes the fan come on. You wouldn't get any improvement with it standing still idling because sooner or later that fan is going to come on. The difference is when you are moving.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Well actually I flushed mine 5 times.... with distilled water. I do not have a infra red thingy... and its funny... my dealer which is the largest Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, and some HD in Nevada said all they do is just flush and put in engine ice. They put it in everything they sell... That's how I found out about it.... Right no it is 120 degrees in Vegas... only 90 here today so far.

Engine ice is a pretty blue. the coolant in my expansion tank is still blue. I do not think I had any residual coolant in it. Flushing the Voyager is easier than a lot of other motorcycles I have owned.

One thing I have found in 50 years of riding, no two dealers/shops ever agree on anything. Only what benefits them....

All I can tell you is mine is definitely running cooler according to my temp gauge going down the highway and around town with what I have done in 100 degree heat. Besides wouldn't the temp be the same on ALL of the Voyagers if you let it idle til the fan comes on? Its the temp that makes the fan come on. You wouldn't get any improvement with it standing still idling because sooner or later that fan is going to come on. The difference is when you are moving.
All I can tell you is my fan comes on at 194 degrees. I was under the impression it was much hotter than that. As for the shop in Rapid City, it too is a big shop and I specifically went in for the Engine Ice. They pretty much talked me out of it. Now, that could be because of the rally going on and they didn't have time to do it, I just don't know. That's why I went with Water Wetter.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts