Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've spent the last 2 hours searching the forum and can't find the info I need.

I'm pretty sure it was on this forum that someone posted a drop in replacement for the stock water temperature sensor that allowed the radiator fan to come on at a lower temperature (maybe 10° lower?). Does anyone know what that sensor brand and part number are?

Before anyone wastes their time suggesting it, I don't want to add a manual switch to the fan, I just want it to come on at a slightly lower temperature.

As an alternative, does anyone know of a "better" fan that would not be too difficult to install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
701 Posts
The only other way you can get the fan to come on at a lower temperature is to have the ecu re-flashed by Ivan. You will also get all the other benefits that come with it. I had mine done the bike runs considerably cooler IMO.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the air intake resistor mod done and the over ride on my fan and now my temp gauge stays in the middle. I would love to do Ivans ECU but $350.00 is a lot of money (with great results im sure) at this time.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the bypass switch and relay. Great mod.
Like I said, I'm not interested in adding a manual switch.

The only other way you can get the fan to come on at a lower temperature is to have the ecu re-flashed by Ivan. You will also get all the other benefits that come with it. I had mine done the bike runs considerably cooler IMO.
I got the EJK before all the hype about Ivan's flash started. I can't justify spending another $350. The sensor I am talking about would provide a slightly lower resistance at the same temp as the OEM sensor, tricking the ECU into thinking the engine was running hotter.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Actually in the 3 days you spent searching for an answer, you could have easily added a switch. I added one and soldered all the connections.....very simple, but I guess I'm wasting my breath as you don't want to add one 0:)

·
Registered
701 Posts
Like I said, I'm not interested in adding a manual switch.

I got the EJK before all the hype about Ivan's flash started. I can't justify spending another $350. The sensor I am talking about would provide a slightly lower resistance at the same temp as the OEM sensor, tricking the ECU into thinking the engine was running hotter.
Trust me when I tell you to justify the money. It is well worth the added expense. If I was first starting to mod my bike, I would hold off on everything to have the ECU re-flashed and make it #1 on the list. In the end you can only make that decision, otherwise I would do the fan switch.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually in the 3 days you spent searching for an answer, you could have easily added a switch. I added one and soldered all the connections.....very simple, but I guess I'm wasting my breath as you don't want to add one 0:)
Yep, you are. :wink2: I know how to add a switch, I just don't want to do it that way.

How do you like the EJK?
I really like it. It does take a little time and some trial and error to get it zeroed in. I needed some advice and Dobeck gave me the answer I needed very quickly.

I like that I can make a change (like drilling out the baffles, should I decide to) and not have to send anything off to adjust for what I do. I have increased my power and mpg while getting the engine to run cooler. Gee, that kinda sounds like the benefits of the Ivan flash! :wink2:

Trust me when I tell you to justify the money. It is well worth the added expense. If I was first starting to mod my bike, I would hold off on everything to have the ECU re-flashed and make it #1 on the list. In the end you can only make that decision, otherwise I would do the fan switch.
Not to me. I just retired and every dollar is important. I got the EJK before Ivan's flash was ever mentioned. If I had not already gotten the EJK, then, yeah, I might go for the flash. But da money is spent and the EJK is working great. I don't know what I am missing and am happy with what I have, so throwing $250 to the wind (the price of the EJK) just does not make sense for me.

As to the fan switch, I appreciate all the responses. I am quite capable of wiring in a switch. For that matter, I could design a circuit that would trick the ECU into turning on/off the fan at a lower temperature, but it's not worth the effort if I can find a different sensor that will do the same thing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts