Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I purchased an 800 with a failed water pump the engine is out and I am getting things organized for splitting the cases.I have been looking at getting a replacement engine but would like to fix this motor if possible and viable .the pump shaft is turning though I suspect it is snapped at the other end when the fault occurred the engine warning lights came on and the bike was immediately stopped the coolant peed .Oil pump seems fine .
I,m not a spanner mistro but not too dumb either owned a triumph bonnie once so had some practice .:smile2: Any advice appreciated .

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
broken water pump on an 800 is extremely rare.
does the engine turn over?.
It sees you have removed the right side cover to check the impeller.
The pup failure itself should not have damaged the engine, its a matter of if pieces have broken off and are jamming something inside.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2015
766 Posts
Here's a pic of what SunnyBob is talking about... impeller is the lower middle (shiny part).

[/IMG]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys , yep the impellier turns very freely ? . When the fault occurred the temp spiked and the oil warning light came on was wondering if it was an oil pump fail but why would the coolant dump out ? .The motor is out and I am in the process of organizing a space to work on it. Any checks you would suggest before I start ?. I thought of filling with water and turning the pump to see if circulation any good ? . Any advice appreciated before I start spending .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reading the manual I now realise the water pump is driven off the oil pump which is driven by a chain so a number of possible fails .will only know by getting in and looking I suppose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts