Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I've just bought a 86 Vulcan 750 (w/~36000kms) and I am looking to fix it up this winter. Currently the problem is that there is a coolant leak into the engine oil and an oil leak out of the far forward portion of the headgasket. I suspect that I'll need to rip her down and replace the head gasket (and inspect for warping or cracking) but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on other possible sources of coolant leaks (such as the water pump) or suggestions of things I need to check out.

Additionally I am planning on rebuilding the carbs and replacing the rear brake pads to avoid delamination and I will be replacing the front master cylinder, (brake lines w/SS lines) and polishing the front brake caliper pistons. But I would like to hear about anything else that people may have run into, and I should check out.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for places to get parts for these bikes, or links to previous posts dealing with similar issues (I haven't had time yet to properly browse the previous posts yet) that would be great.

I'll also try to get some pictures of the bike up in the next few days.

Andre

·
Registered
782 Posts
Unfortunately, I have never worked on the internals of any bike engine. However, I had a Pontiac once that was getting water into the engine oil. This is a deadly serious problem for the engine. Once I noticed the problem I started changing the oil twice as often as normal and she lasted about 6 months before the engine locked up tight. I hope your efforts solve the problem without having to get a new block. Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Likely Fix

Hello All, I've just bought a 86 Vulcan 750 (w/~36000kms) and I am looking to fix it up this winter. Currently the problem is that there is a coolant leak into the engine oil and an oil leak out of the far forward portion of the headgasket. I suspect that I'll need to rip her down and replace the head gasket (and inspect for warping or cracking) but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on other possible sources of coolant leaks (such as the water pump) or suggestions of things I need to check out.

Additionally I am planning on rebuilding the carbs and replacing the rear brake pads to avoid delamination and I will be replacing the front master cylinder, (brake lines w/SS lines) and polishing the front brake caliper pistons. But I would like to hear about anything else that people may have run into, and I should check out.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for places to get parts for these bikes, or links to previous posts dealing with similar issues (I haven't had time yet to properly browse the previous posts yet) that would be great.

I'll also try to get some pictures of the bike up in the next few days.

Andre
Your likely fix for both problems is the headgasket. coolant and oil both flow through different passage that the head gasket seals. Very likely, a new head gasket will fix the problem, with new coolant, oil and filter.

Kawasaki has schematics for most models available at:

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentUrl=/SITE/VIVEHICLEINFORMATION/VICHOOSEVEHICLE.ASP

These schematics can be found under owner info from the Kawasaki home page.

Parts can be purchased from Bike Bandit or your local Kawasaki dealer.

You will also need a maintenance manual.

Don't know what carbs are on that bike (Mukini or Keihin), but check with Carb Parts Warehouse for needed items, or Sudco.

http://www.carbparts.com/

http://www.sudco.com/

Good luck. :)

Andy

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello All, I've just bought a 86 Vulcan 750 (w/~36000kms) and I am looking to fix it up this winter.
Also if anyone has any suggestions for places to get parts for these bikes, or links to previous posts dealing with similar issues...
A good place for discount OEM parts is also Ron Ayers Motorsports.

And if you haven't already found it, you should definitely join up with the Yahoo Vulcan 750 newsgroup. Great bunch of people there, very knowledgeable and always anxious to help out. Some of them even sent me parts for free when I was working on my 750... like a drive shaft for one (which only cost me $10 shipping). Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks, for the advice. I am fairly confident that a new head gasket will solve the problem though it looks like complete gasket sets are a little hard to come by for these bikes (though bike bandit is selling the individual head gaskets for around $30). I would really like to get my hands on a complete gasket set though because it would be nice to have the right oil seals so I could lap the valves. Anyway, if anyone knows where I might be able to pick up a gasket set that would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts