Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cooee all!
I keep getting water in the well in the gas tank. It doesn't mix with the gas, but seems to sit there and get moldy. Yum! I've had the tank off before and traced the lines, and unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the hole with the blue arrow leads to the carbon canister, which I'm pretty sure is filled with water now and causing some issues with fuel delivery.
I think the blue arrow hole is supposed to lead to the drain tube by the side stand, and the green arrow to the carbon canister. If that's true then mine are backwards and F'ing things up.
Can anyone help me figure out for sure which hole is supposed to lead where?
Thanks and cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
902 Posts
According to the Service Manual, the blue arrow in your picture is the water drain (that runs down by the kick stand) and the green arrow is your breather/charcoal canister vent. If your charcoal canister is full of fuel, it has to be replaced. Is your drain tube blocked? Check to see if it’s clear. Blow some air through it. If indeed the hoses are switched, then there’s no doubt you’ll have problems. Put them the correct way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. Interesting. I'll have to double check but I'm 99% certain that the water drain is connected to the carbon canister. Which would be weird. But possible I suppose. And would explain my issue. I'll take a look tomorrow.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Hmm. Interesting. I'll have to double check but I'm 99% certain that the water drain is connected to the carbon canister. Which would be weird. But possible I suppose. And would explain my issue. I'll take a look tomorrow.
Thanks for the help!
No problem. I’ve tried to upload the actual service manual pic, but it shows as a thumbnail. Hopefully you can read it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's blurry but I can see it! I'll check soon and report back. This could explain a lot of weird issues I've been having. Finally!
Thank you again

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the tank off and I was right. Which I'm really excited about because I rarely get to say that. The tubes were crossed, so water has been draining into the carbon canister, and gas vapor has just been escaping through the drain tube. A quick swap of the tubes, and a fresh carbon canister and the bike is running great!..what a weird issue

·
Registered
902 Posts
Finally got the tank off and I was right. Which I'm really excited about because I rarely get to say that. The tubes were crossed, so water has been draining into the carbon canister, and gas vapor has just been escaping through the drain tube. A quick swap of the tubes, and a fresh carbon canister and the bike is running great!..what a weird issue
Glad you got it fixed. Ya, sometimes weird stuff happens.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
isn't both holes air vents leading to outside air below the bike?

·
Registered
902 Posts
isn't both holes air vents leading to outside air below the bike?
Nope. Go back a few pages and read through the thread. Some have emissions controls that collect fuel vapours, in a canister, to be purged into the engine intake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts