Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did the same thing a couple of years ago. I'm assuming you have a service manual and the only advice I can offer is take your time, and be very careful that you set the timing correctly (ask me how I know.....) I had the cylinders honed and replaced the rings while I was in there, but it took me a couple of times to be satisfied. It seemed to use oil mysteriously. So if I did it again I'd probably leave well enough alone and stop at the head gaskets.

Once I got it done right though it runs great. 83K miles on it and it runs like a scalded dog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey, All....guess what I found today! I found that the water pump spins freely while the engine is stopped. So I disconnected the spark plug wires and spun the starter and the pump did not move. I have attached a couple of pix of the pump and inside of the cover.
This is a setback in that I spent several days working on her. She has new head gaskets, a new right side cam chain, new chain guide, new clutch slave cylinder gasket and seal ring, new bottom radiator hose, new thermostat, oil, antifreeze, top engine water hose, and lots of new nuts, bolts and screws (lost during the move to Kentucky).
So I looked at the exploded view of the engine internals and it looks like the water pump is on a shaft that goes across the block to the left side (?) maybe.
Does this mean I get to take the engine back out of the bike? YAY, me
Secondly, how far do I need to tear it down to get to the pump shaft?
In response to a couple of previous questions, I DO have a repair/tech manual for the bike and I did have the bike running briefly three weeks ago. Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake
Machine Engineering Helmet Metal Auto part

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry to hear about the new head gaskets, because yes, you get to do that again... Speaking for a Mean Streak, but pretty sure all the 1500 and 1600's are the same this way, the shaft doesn't go all the way through, just to the right inside area where it has a gear that's chain-driven by the gear that you can see when you pull the clutch cover, right near that funky "X"-shaped mechanism (aptly named the "holder"). Start by removing the right clutch cover and see if anything's amiss there. If the problem is in that area then just maybe you won't have to pull the engine. Otherwise you will need to remove the engine and front cylinder at least to get to the drive chain (p/n 92057A or similar) and other parts for the impeller.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
When you removed the bolt, did the shaft turn freely? If so, maybe the impeller is freewheeling on the shaft. If the shaft is turning freely, you may have a broken chain.
I was able to spin the impeller prior to removing the bolt. Also, the impeller was seated well onto the shaft.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
You will need to remove the clutch cover , right side engine cover. There are two chains that drive the water pump. Once the cover is off you can turn the impeller and see which gear is freewheeling. These gears slide onto their respective shafts and engage a pin to lock them to the shaft to turn. Almost sounds like one of these pins is broke or missing.
Product Font Engineering Auto part Bicycle part

·
Registered
2 Posts
Readers, I have an '03 1600 classic with 50,000 miles on her. I have been having coolant issues for about three years now, and have replaced (earliest-to-most-recent) the fan switch, the temp switch, lower main hose, thermostat (twice), O-ring, radiator cap, and fluid....several times.

My problem is that after a ride, when I park it in the garage, I can hear water boiling. So I took the cover off and found the water boiling/bubbling back into the overflow reservoir, or running out the overflow hose. I have used the bike for commuting about 65 miles, one way, and after a couple of days, the bike shows over-temp, or I'm out of coolant.

I have no idea where it's going, or what is causing it to over heat. I have not done a pressure test, neither have I had the cooling system flushed.

I really hope I don't have to buy a new engine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan
Hi there Ivan I have the same problems with my bike I just blown a coolent pipe and coolent filling the overflow dis you get any problem solving done on yours I'm from South Africa
Kind regards
Jacques

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi there Ivan I have the same problems with my bike I just blown a coolent pipe and coolent filling the overflow dis you get any problem solving done on yours I'm from South Africa
Kind regards
Jacques
Jacques,
Thanks for asking about the water issue. I have the bike engine open now and found that the water pump does not turn when the engine turns. It is either a broken shaft or a pin came out of the shaft. I'm not sure how that would have happened, since the water going away started before I took the engine apart two years ago.
Ivan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ivan that's the thing I checked the water pump and it'd fine it turns with the engine no wiggle or play on the water pump thermostat is new and fine I tested it the fan runs and the bike is blowing cooling pipes after I drive about 20miles I'm sitting and thinking now what could be the problem I'm Ganna c if bLown head so I'm Ganna do a presher test today thanx alot
Jacques

21 - 31 of 31 Posts