Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had finished my bicycle ride with a couple of friends yesterday
evening. It was almost 8:00 and I was going north the highway. I was
following a semi which in turn was following 2 motorcycles. One looked
like a Honda 250 (or something similar) and the other was a Yamaha R1,
both bikes were new (still had the dealer tags on them). As we
approached a right hand turn, I noticed the smaller bike started drifting toward the concrete wall/median. I didn't think anything of it as we were going along. Everybody will drift through a turn at some point. Well, they went out of my view as I was behind the semi.

The next thing I know, the semi is locking up his brakes, swerves to the
right almost taking the exit ramp to get out of the way. I see the
motorcycle sliding to a stop in the middle of the highway and lock up my
brakes to avoid running over the it. I didn't see the rider anywhere
around the bike, so at first I was puzzled, then afraid that the truck
had hit her. Once we were stopped (I pulled my car across both lanes to
block traffic), I jumped out and the other lady riding the R1 was
running across to the median. Apparently, the lady on the 250 had
drifted through the turn and hit the concrete barrier, which threw her
over the wall and into the grassy median. I was instantly on the phone
calling 911 and checking the rider. Luckily, she was not hurt all that
bad (for a motorcycle accident). She had some severe road rash to her
left leg and an open wound on her knee, which I guess took the blunt of
the blow and lost a lot of skin. EMSA was there almost immediately and
had her taken care of.

So, after all of that, there were two major things I saw wrong with this
whole event.

1) This lady was a new, in-experienced rider on a major highway with a
LOT of traffic, and at speeds that were way over her ability. Talking
to the truck driver, she had stalled the bike twice before as they were
yielding to an ambulance earlier (he had been following them for a
couple of miles).
2) Both women were wearing no protective gear what-so-ever. Both were
wearing tennis shoes, shorts, and t-shirts. No helmets, no gloves...
nothing to protect them at all. Maybe that event will change her mind if
she decides to ride again. But, you never know.

I was unfortunate to lay a motorcycle over a few years ago. But I had
all the protection on... armored jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, jeans.
The jeans are the only thing that did not hold up and I had some road
rash, but not near what this lady had received. I will never ride a
motorcycle again without jeans, boots, and helmet. I have yet to
purchase another jacket, but I do want one for myself and my fiance.

I hope this will be somewhat of a lesson to all that read and a warning
to be safe and aware while riding. I look forward to riding with you all
soon.

Matt

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Wow......Good post Matt.......Does make one wonder.......Just when u think u have seen it all.......Some people just do not get it.........Take care......:)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Good post...and good point about your jeans not holding up. Everybody seems to forget their knees need protection. Been there, done that...going down just like you write you did after I had 1500 miles or so under my belt and thought I finally had it all down. I have a deep scar on my left knee because of it. I had every other necessary protective gear and am so grateful I did.

Now I always ride with homemade knee armor under the levis....mostly you cannot see it. ( I took the CE knee pad armor out of some ridiculously hot and heavy riding pants and added some wide stretchy elastic. They work great frankly....dont know why somebody doesnt sell this...)

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Hafta admit, I'm not an ATGATT rider. In town, or anywhere with speeds less than 45, I tend to go with jeans, t-shirt and protective eyewear, but one thing that ALWAYS goes on when I'm in heavy traffic and/or on the highway is a full face helmet.

To be honest, I wear a jacket at all times too, when the weather will allow, but this Oklahoma summertime weather and humidity have led me to leave that behind more often than I probably should.

I know there's no telling what speed you're going to be cruising at when ya go down, and 35 can be just as deadly as 65, but I choose to ride the edge in those areas. Then, stories like these have me thinking, "That's it, ATGATT for me!"

...until I ride home...

Riding a bit more cautiously than ya drive is a good thing, and AWARENESS is the key!!! A refresher trip through the MSF course every once in a while is recommended as well, as they remind you of the little things you often forget, like looking *through* a turn to avoid focal lock, etc. Helps to have an instructor's friend in my office, as she's constantly hitting me with safety tips, LOL! One of the things she always preaching, too, which would apply to this story... Know your limits, then cut those limits in half, because you're always more sure of yourself than you should be!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Sketso, to each their own, I know.....and good advice about staying well within your limits......but I do wonder what the statistics on going down would say about "above 45..or on the highway". I have a sense more crashes happen at lower speeds on backroads when a corner is missed, etc rather than on the superslab.
I know I said this a couple places already, but my own experience says it is more likely to be on a mountain 2 lane road with a misjudged corner with sand in it...:(. I went down at 30 mph and tore up the leather jacket, chinbar and faceshield, the left leg and knee.
Without my gear I would be scarred for life on my arm, hand and face now instead of just having an ugly knee...
Annie

Hafta admit, I'm not an ATGATT rider. In town, or anywhere with speeds less than 45, I tend to go with jeans, t-shirt and protective eyewear, but one thing that ALWAYS goes on when I'm in heavy traffic and/or on the highway is a full face helmet.

To be honest, I wear a jacket at all times too, when the weather will allow, but this Oklahoma summertime weather and humidity have led me to leave that behind more often than I probably should.

I know there's no telling what speed you're going to be cruising at when ya go down, and 35 can be just as deadly as 65, but I choose to ride the edge in those areas. Then, stories like these have me thinking, "That's it, ATGATT for me!"

...until I ride home...

Riding a bit more cautiously than ya drive is a good thing, and AWARENESS is the key!!! A refresher trip through the MSF course every once in a while is recommended as well, as they remind you of the little things you often forget, like looking *through* a turn to avoid focal lock, etc. Helps to have an instructor's friend in my office, as she's constantly hitting me with safety tips, LOL! One of the things she always preaching, too, which would apply to this story... Know your limits, then cut those limits in half, because you're always more sure of yourself than you should be!

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
And inexperienced just doesn't mean a new rider. I've been riding for 30 Years all of it would be considered on vintage japanise bikes (current one up for sale is a 80 XS1100 Midnight Special. SWMBO and I just bought two new bikes (2009 900 classic, hers and a 2009 1700 Voyager mine). Talk about a learning curve over the different seating position and bike handling... WOW.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts