Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Community,

I could not find an existing thread about exactly the same topic and that is why i am posting it here.

I am a complete newbie and would like to ask for expert advice on how to clean my Vulcan S in matt black color

I never had a motorcycle before and never had a chance to clean one as well.

I watched tons of videos and read a lot of posts and it always includes one thing "Hose" which I do not have access to. I can go to the wash station but everyone advises against using a pressure washer.

I would like to ask how to clean/wash my motorcycle without a hose and just with buckets and some products.

Also Please recommend some products for washing, waxing, and chain lubrication.

P.S I am living in Germany so it would be really helpful if someone can recommend products which are available here. Most videos and forums are from the USA and most of these products are not available here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
363 Posts
One way to safely use a pressure washer would be to maintain a significant distance from the bike so high pressure is not applied. Instead of high pressure you would have a low pressure mist. This would probably mean the bike would need a wipe with soap and a soft cloth, then another misting rinse.

·
Super Moderator
6,198 Posts
Have a 900 and never used any hose and definitely never used a pressure washer. Use a spray bottle cleaner and clean with rags. There are plenty of products available. Go down to the auto parts store. If you do wash it with a hose, use very low pressure and keep the water off electrical, chain, and other sensitive components.

·
No Sacred Cows
94 Posts
Have a 900 and never used any hose and definitely never used a pressure washer. Use a spray bottle cleaner and clean with rags. There are plenty of products available. Go down to the auto parts store. If you do wash it with a hose, use very low pressure and keep the water off electrical, chain, and other sensitive components.
Listen to Tourer, he has the cleanest, shiniest, best looking bike on this forum! :D

·
Registered
2020 VN900D Classic LT
292 Posts
I have a pair of 55 ounce sprayers like this --> Harris 55 oz. Home Auto and Garden Pump Sprayer-MINISPRY - The Home Depot (That's about 1.6 liters).

You provide pressure by pumping them up. You can adjust the spray from a pencil thin stream to an extra wide mist. Add a handful of microfiber cloths and it's easy to get things clean. I even go the extra step of using de-ionized water so there aren't any spots when it dries.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,915 Posts
Getting water on your bike is not going to hurt it. I wash my 900 with the hose all the time just don't use high pressure. Then I take out my commercial grade leaf blower and blow the water off followed by a wax and polish.

·
Super Moderator
1,211 Posts
OP is not afraid of getting water on it. He just doesn't have easy access it such as a hose outside.

Reactions: VulcanHash

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you do wash it with a hose, use very low pressure and keep the water off electrical, chain, and other sensitive components.
I almost always wash my bike with garden hose with a "shower" adapter on it. If I wash the bike first then dry it with a blower and then dry the chain by shop rag then clean it with kerosene and lube it, is that still not good? Sometimes I get stuck in the craziest downpour of rain but won't get to dry it off for several hours. Should the electronics and chain never get wet or is it the cleaning agents you suggest are the problem?

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,198 Posts
Can’t prevent the chain from getting wet, but the oil that is on it will repel the water. As afar as the electronics. They are all designed to be water resistant, but they are not waterproof. As long as they do not get a direct soaking flow of water, they will be fine.

·
Registered
2021 Vulcan Voyager
183 Posts
Hello Community,

I could not find an existing thread about exactly the same topic and that is why i am posting it here.

I am a complete newbie and would like to ask for expert advice on how to clean my Vulcan S in matt black color

I never had a motorcycle before and never had a chance to clean one as well.

I watched tons of videos and read a lot of posts and it always includes one thing "Hose" which I do not have access to. I can go to the wash station but everyone advises against using a pressure washer.

I would like to ask how to clean/wash my motorcycle without a hose and just with buckets and some products.

Also Please recommend some products for washing, waxing, and chain lubrication.

P.S I am living in Germany so it would be really helpful if someone can recommend products which are available here. Most videos and forums are from the USA and most of these products are not available here.

Thanks in advance.
Howdy from Texas.
I live in a place that does not allow use of their water for washing vehicles. I went to the auto parts store and got a wipe to clean the dirt and a chamois to do the rinse.
I wipe down a part of the bike and then take the chamois out of the bowl of water, wring it out and wipe off the soap. I basically do the bike in 4 sections, front, each side and then the back.
Hopefully you can find some good products and your parts store as was suggested by @Tourer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts