Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone usually use for washing their bike?

Is it ok to go to a normal spray wash?

I've heard pledge works good on tanks and fenders, is that for real?

Are the motorcycle specific wash products actually worth it?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use pledge on the windshield. It's base ingredient (carnuba wax) won't hurt the paint for the tins, but I don't know if there is anything else in there that will hurt the paint. Using pledge on the windshield helps clean the bugs off later.
I use Turtle Wax chrome cleaner on the chrome parts. I also have some Meguiars (0r is it Armorall) spray wax, but also purchased a liquid product recently that seems to do a nice job. I'm not where I can look up the name right now. I was told that it has properties to suspend the dirt in it, so it takes it off as it shines. I don't know how true that is, because I still wash my bike before shining it.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
I use pledge on the windshield. It's base ingredient (carnuba wax) won't hurt the paint for the tins, but I don't know if there is anything else in there that will hurt the paint. Using pledge on the windshield helps clean the bugs off later.
I use Turtle Wax chrome cleaner on the chrome parts. I also have some Meguiars (0r is it Armorall) spray wax, but also purchased a liquid product recently that seems to do a nice job. I'm not where I can look up the name right now. I was told that it has properties to suspend the dirt in it, so it takes it off as it shines. I don't know how true that is, because I still wash my bike before shining it.
Where are you getting this info from? Pledge has always maintained it is a cleaner not a wax thus no wax build up.

See ingredients HERE

We detail all (currently 4) our bikes here with pledge and use it on chrome, paint windshield etc. Been using it exclusively on my '01 Honda Sabre for a decade and the bike's paint shines.

My Sabre

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
+1 for Pledge. I use it all the time on all my bike surfaces (when cool). It's a great cleaner for the cost, but I will warn ya that lemon pledge does attract bees from time to time. ;) Although it's not really a wax product, it leaves a freshly waxed kind of shine that keeps people gawking!

Other than that, I recommend a hand wash for the deep clean sessions, and a nice liquid wax (I use Meguiar's Tech 2.0). There's all sorts of automotive wash soaps, etc. out there, but I've always found Dawn dish detergent to work quite well, even on those parts that pick up grease and oil from the road.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
I've taken mine to the local spray n' wash since 2004 and it has worked fine. I wipe it down with dry clean white cotton towels when I'm done rinsing and then go ride it dry. I use car polish on it when I want to shine it up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I only use Mothers wash and wax products on the trike and I use rainx for the windshield works great for the luv bugs down here.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I generally use Ivory dishwashing soap in a bucket of warm water, a soft microfiber washcloth, and the gentle spray pattern from the garden hose. No high pressure washing the bike for me.

I blow it off as much as possible with a shop vac or leaf blower, then a real chamois for the final drying.

I've used some Zymol and Turtle Wax on the chrome and paint surfaces.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've always used the car wash and have never had an issue. Just don't put the wand too close to the bike. Take a couple towels with you and do a nice wipe down/dry after the wash and rinse. I usually take more time drying/wiping the bike down than I do washing it. If you don't get all the water off, it'll leave spots on your chrome and paint.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I wash my bikes exactly the same way as i wash my cars. Soap and water, towel off, polish the shiny bits.

·
Registered
616 Posts
wash

Pledge works well, but I subscribe to the theory "BUGS BELONG" except on the windshield LOL. One of the reasons Ive never wanted a springer !!!
Ive taken a lot of heat about my dirty bike, but I bought it to ride, not polish . It gets a touch up from
time to time, but sooner spend the hours riding ON the bike than polishing ON the bike.

·
Registered
107 Posts
About half the time I'll give the bike a quick clean up at the car wash, wipe it down and ride it home Then wipe it down some more. A little Lucas Slick Mist on the paint and chrome gives it a good shine without too much effort keep it off the windshield. (puts a haze on the plastic that is only visible when I put on my polarized shades?) I'm a little more picky when I wash it in the driveway. I've keep a bottle of Dawn dish soap in the shed for washing my vehicles. It's better than most of the big jugs of car wash soap that I've ever tried. If the road grime is really thick I like to use a Bike Brite (sp) it clears the bugs and other stuff right off. For 2011 I'm replacing my windshield plastic. The old one was holding up pretty well until it took a major case of road rash this past summer. I've mostly used Plexus to clean it and for 10 years it wasn't scratched up until it met the pavement. The new one will get the same cleaning. I use it when I travel too. daily cleaning on the windshield is part of the morning ritual.
As for leaving a bike dirty. Well I have some issues with that. I did buy it to ride and I'd rather ride it than wash it. However, I do a thorough bolt check when I give my bike a good cleaning. Also it's a good time to notice any minor leaks or other potential problems that may be getting ready to appear. I've not found more that just a few loose bolts or other issues since I bought my Nomad in 2000 but I do this as a carry over from the days when I rode other makes and had more issues with stuff falling off or getting loose.
I had a 650 Triumph Bonneville back in the "good ole days" I don't miss the constant maintenance, carrying spare parts, tickling the carbs (a British method of making sure you have gas on both legs prior to starting the engine) as well as the fact that I'd have never tried to wash that bike at a car wash because I knew it didn't like to run on wet days. The preride on that thing was a long procedure because I'd always find some sort of a problem. Several Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, and even a sporty later the big Kaw has been bullet proof compared to all the others but I still check it over regularly.
Washing the bike is a maintenance procedure for me. It's the one time my hands touch just about every inch of the machine.

·
Registered
684 Posts
So from Pledge's list of ingredients, there is absolutely no wax in it. It looks like silicon oil must provide the shine factor.

Also as far as the car wash, I've also heard that the main caution is to try to avoid getting a high pressure spray into the wheel bearings, fork head, etc. where it will be hard to dry out. I use the car wash occasionally, but usually just a free-flowing garden hose to wash and rinse.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Little need for bike washing here - just ride at the highway speed limit in the rain in this part of Oregon and the rain will blast the bad stuff off. Then use a leaf blower to dry the bike. Only a little touching up needed! :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Little need for bike washing here - just ride at the highway speed limit in the rain in this part of Oregon and the rain will blast the bad stuff off. Then use a leaf blower to dry the bike. Only a little touching up needed! :)
Hmm....I've never, ever ridden in the rain where there wasn't a bunch of dirt on the bike. Always gotta get in and clean it out. Maybe the roads in OR are just cleaner.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Question back to one2goof

Hey one2goof,
Has the rain-x done OK on your windshield (I assume it's plastic ?) I have read on the bottle not to use on plastic, but always thought it would be real nice to be able to use it for rain and bugs. How long have you been using it ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use the old method of dawn and a sponge in a bucket for first big wash then my once a year bottle of wax. after that i use pledge for quick cleans. I only use plexus for my windshield and lowers. If you really want a nice shine I've used this new stuff called Turtle wax Shine neat stuff can use cold or in the sun, goes on clear comes off clear no flaking or smears or streaks left behind i like it alot most the time i can use it and not even worry about cleaning it just rub the shine on :D :D:D now if there was a quicker way to do spokes lol :mad: always takes the longest.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like Original Bike Spirits spray cleaner and polish... I spray and wipe the whole bike except for leather and rubber (I use Armor-All for those) and do not need or use water at all!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Honda spray cleaner and polish.

"I use that $hit on everything"......lol.

Seriously the stuff is amazing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts