Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
So, a 200/70-15 is a direct replacement on the stock rim?

What does this affect, good or bad? Speed-o readings, ride, control?

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 200 is tad too large for the OEM rim but I haven't heard of any horror stories. I run the Avon Venom and it's taller than the OEM lop. The Venom corrected the speedo errors...until I replaced the speedo bezzle and had to pull the needle off. I've got almost 6k miles on the Venom with no problems and plenty of tread remaining.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How does this affect handling, especially turning, with a much wider tire?

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 200 took a few miles to get used to. The Avon has a more rounded profile the Metz. There's a 1" chicken strip I can't use on the Avon - pegs hit the road. Mine is also lowered 2" in the rear and 1" in the front so ground clearance is reduced.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I believe that 200 is about as big as you can go with out modding. a 240 will fit with a new rim and fender and some clearencing of the swingarm. i just installed a 200 pirelli night dragon on mine and love them it rides much better and is more stable at slow speeds. also being a little taller it brings the rpms down a little as well as cut the speedo error about in half.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the metzner ME 880 200 series rear tire and love the handling and comfort, not to mention the look it gives the bike.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
JUst a thought--- (you can go Darkside on the rear tire) Wednesday I put on a GENERAL 195/65/15 ---$75 FOR THE TIRE---almost as big as a 200---about 150 miles on it and I'm hooked
I've been looking this tire up on the internet and it looks like it's a car tire, is that right? I'm not sure i'd like that on a bike.

(edit) DOH! After more research, i found that's what the "Dark Side" means. Sorry.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok thanks.. Why would you do that?? Its flat.. Unless you have one of those 3 wheelers with 2 wheels up front.. To each their own..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts