Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and i want to ask a question. I have a 2008 vulcan 2000 classic and i was wondering what i could do to get rid of the top speed limiter? If anyone has an idea I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you mean the RPM limiter? If so Id keep it to prevent you from over reving and blowing the engine. I didn't know there was a top speed limiter, if so what speed did it kick in at? When there is a speed limiter motorcycle manufactures have agreed to set it no higher then 180 MPH. I never heard of one set lower so you might be hitting the Rev limiter in high gear but the Rev limiter protects your engine from stretching the rods and blowing up. If you want to go faster without hitting the Rev limiter you'll have to gear the bike taller with a custom smaller rear pulley and belt, possible but costly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rev limiter

I have only hit limiter in 1-2&3 gear, have not found it in 4th and 5th and have took the bike as high as 150 mph, just to see if it would. It will and very fast to. Its the fastest cruiser Ive ever rode .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good day all!

Bought a 2008 900 Custom. Beautiful bike. (Sold all my other ones, and went into withdrawl - grin)

BUT, just feel the itch to get a little more windburn. Unfortunately, tops out (no throttle left) @ 160 Km (100 Mph). I don't want to get rid of the RPM limiter (know that's on it), but there is lots left on the speedo. Sure would like to pin the needle. (at least once).

Any suggestions ???

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Good day all!

Bought a 2008 900 Custom. Beautiful bike. (Sold all my other ones, and went into withdrawl - grin)

BUT, just feel the itch to get a little more windburn. Unfortunately, tops out (no throttle left) @ 160 Km (100 Mph). I don't want to get rid of the RPM limiter (know that's on it), but there is lots left on the speedo. Sure would like to pin the needle. (at least once).

Any suggestions ???
Buy a motocycle with more power.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Were just getting started at 100mph on our V2K's. I always tell my friends to buy at least a 1500 or higher with whatever cruiser they are looking at. Sport bikes are diffrent but with the cruisers you get more tourqe and better stability with a bigger bike so if your going to get a cruiser "go big or go home". Sometimes you just have to twist the throttle to get out of the way of the crazy cagers so what better bike then the V2K. I think 900's look nice but not enough juice to do the job. Just my opinion.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have only hit limiter in 1-2&3 gear, have not found it in 4th and 5th and have took the bike as high as 150 mph, just to see if it would. It will and very fast to. Its the fastest cruiser Ive ever rode .
My V2k tops out at about 200 kph (125mph) have you changed your gearing.
cheers

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
changing gears

If you want to go faster without hitting the Rev limiter you'll have to gear the bike taller with a custom smaller rear pulley and belt, possible but costly.
gunnie, Final Drive Ratio; stock drive pulleys are 50t x 72t = 1.44ratio. there are some aftermarket pulleys($750), 52t x 70t = 1.34 ratio. Not too radical change.

then there are the transfer drive gears under right side cover. Stock gears are 42t x 50t = 1.19ratio. You can buy kaw eurogears($250) 44t x 48t = 1.09ratio.

or for FREE you could swap the stock gears, ie. drive/driven, 50t x 42t = .84ratio. This set up will kill your off the line torque but will give you top end like there is no limit. This would make sense if you were doing runs at Bonneville and not on the public hiways.

of course your speedo pickup sensor would not function with the smaller pulley... 'less you did some radical adjustment to it. hey, just trying to help. out, ponch

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just had mine to 145mph. I don't have a GPS for the bike so i was about 130-135. I think I could get more but I had traffic (U catch up to cages FAST at that pace) to deal with. I sprung a coolant leak (the Mrs. said I deserve it for beating my horse like that). Just a loose fitting. I thought I did some real damage. It's still under warranty so the dealer fixed it quick. Thanks Struther's. Put in 190miles today,after the fix so it is just fine. The V2K is solid way past 100mph. If U have the guts (not a challenge!!!).
Good Riding and To All A Good Night

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
You should be up on redline around 130-135mph (actual) or 145-150 (indicated) with stock gears according to my calcs. Dunno where the limiter kicks in...

If I want to go that fast I'll take the crotch rocket out for a rip...it's actually made to go fast...an honest 162 mph from my '96 Suzuki 900. Might even be a little more in there because she's on the rich side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
rev limiter

I think I saw an ignition add on module for VN2000 like on cruiser customizing site.It does what power commander does for FI. Allows you to customize the stock ignition configuration. I'm sure the rev limiter is programmed in the stock ignition module.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Sure, it's probably possible to disable or remove the factory rev limter, but why would one want to do that on stock big V-twin? Just asking to grenade the engine.

Bear in mind that a rev limit and a speed limit are two different things.

As I said earlier, if you want a bike that does 140-150 mph or more, you're probably money ahead and safer just to buy a bike designed to do that...like a crotch rocket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Top Speed on the Custom 900 (2008)

Buy a motocycle with more power.
Ha, funny guy.

My old 450 would top out at 180 KM. My 650 would pin the needle (>100 MPH). I'm quite sure the 900 has the omomh to do it.

What I'd really like to do is pop another gear in it. Make it a 6 speed.

(Was thinking of doing the rear sprocket (belt)), but that would goof with the speedo.

It has more than enough power. 0-60 in < 4 (Rev limiter kicks in. Top of 4th)

Thanks

TTYL

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
No funny intended. My opinion stands...if you want a fast bike, buy a fast bike. If you want cruiser, buy that.

The information I've seen suggests the VN900 is 0-60 in around 6 seconds, that's twice as long as it take my 900 crotch rocket to get to 60, plus the rocket has top speed of ~162mph (260km/h). It cost me $2000 and a set of tires. You'd have close to that just putting go-fast parts in a VN900 with pipes, power commander, air intake, gears/pulleys, and labor to install it all and fine tune it, and I'd still win the race.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking cruisers...hell, I just bought a VN2K a few months ago and I love it. However, that doesn't blind me to the facts about what fast really is and were it really can be had. It's why I have two motorcycles, a go really fast crotch rocket, and a goes respectably fast cruiser.

·
Registered
392 Posts
good info. But my concern in stock form is the RPMs the vn2000 runs on the highway. I cruise at 80mph on my Nomad in 6th gear, low RPMs.
question: cruising at 80mph (aprox) on vn2000 will run high RPMs unnecessarily, or in stock form the vn2000 runs low RPMs at highway speeds with its 5 gear configuration. thanks...

·
Registered
110 Posts
150 mph.... You better take it to Bonneville then. You just blew the record right out of the water!

VN2000 at Bonneville
“With a taped over headlight and stock looking pipes, a VN2000 Vulcan rumbled its way down the Bonneville Salt Flats to an AMA record setting time of 139mph. First run: the rider, Coos Bay, Oregon's Butch Cook, recorded a speed of 138 mph. And the second: even better speed of 141 mph. For an AMA record-making speed of 139.620, the average of his two runs.”

1 - 20 of 23 Posts