Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have watched the videos out there and have read what some of you said how easy it was to do. I think I can handle the modification but did any of you have the bike put on a computer to adjust the air/gas mix or did they run fine? I was told by the dealer that I would have to bring it in if I modified the pipes. Just wondering this sounds to good to be true!

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I put V&H dual baggers on mine...got rid of the goat's belly....and it has run fine for a couple thousand miles now....great sound..... plugs are greyish...great mileage... no issues

OK I have watched the videos out there and have read what some of you said how easy it was to do. I think I can handle the modification but did any of you have the bike put on a computer to adjust the air/gas mix or did they run fine? I was told by the dealer that I would have to bring it in if I modified the pipes. Just wondering this sounds to good to be true!

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
242 Posts
I completely debaffled my stock pipes and the bike runs great without any change to the computer.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I put V&H dual baggers on mine...got rid of the goat's belly....and it has run fine for a couple thousand miles now....great sound..... plugs are greyish...great mileage... no issues
The 900 has a Goats's belly. thought that was the 750

·
Registered
533 Posts
Whether you drill, debaffle, or swap pipes doesn't matter. 99.999% of the time you won't need to do anything else. Your ECU normally handles a single mod like that just fine. There's a lot of dealers who will tell you you need THEM to readjust or add something if you swap pipes. Just ain't so.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I drilled mine out. do yourself a favor by using a 2 3/4 hole cutter and just leaving a bit of a ring inside the pipes. My buddy cut through the side of his pipe by using a 3". and he is a machinist.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I drilled mine out. do yourself a favor by using a 2 3/4 hole cutter and just leaving a bit of a ring inside the pipes. My buddy cut through the side of his pipe by using a 3". and he is a machinist.
That is good advice. I had a 3" but realized that it was a tad too big for my comfort so I just drilled a lot of holes and used a chisel and hammer to break the pieces in between the holes. I then used a dremmel and cleaned up the edges the best I could. All in all, a slightly smaller hole saw would have been better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys that helped but you are drilling 1 big hole? The web site said up to 8 small holes. Any difference? Just wondering

Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
The small holes are for doing it in stages. You can drill 4 holes, see how it sounds and then go up to 8 if it isn't loud enough. If it still isn't loud enough you can completely debaffle it (which is what the one big hole with the 2 3/4" hole saw is assisting with). After making the one big hole you will still have to stick a broomstick or something in it and wiggle it back and forth for 10 minutes or so to break the pipe and remove it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cut 6.25" off the pipes like i did..have a staggered set pretty much..the only thing left for baffling is the cats....she sounds amazing...cost FREE-sound $600 dollars :) looks great as well...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Got ant pics of this set-up???

·
Registered
273 Posts
That is good advice. I had a 3" but realized that it was a tad too big for my comfort so I just drilled a lot of holes and used a chisel and hammer to break the pieces in between the holes. I then used a dremmel and cleaned up the edges the best I could. All in all, a slightly smaller hole saw would have been better.
what kind of blade did you use on the pipes i run through cutting blades like mad

·
Registered
270 Posts
We Want Pics!!! We Want Pics!!! Pics Pics Pics

·
Registered
111 Posts
I decided to do my bike in stages. I did the stage 1 with the 7/8 hole saw a tryed it out for awile. Not loud enough went to stage 2 with four 3/8 holes. Took the bike for a 173 mile ride and for some reason it got louder after about 100 miles. Now it has a good strong sound and think this is were i will stop. I don't know what could have changed but it did get louder after a 100 mile or so.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Where are these "videos" of which you speak?
I'd like a bit louder bike, too, and it sounds from this post is all I need to do is drill some holes?? I have a 2008 1600 Classic by the way.
Mark

1 - 20 of 33 Posts