Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished mounting my WallyWorld 50 watt Chrome Halogens ($18.99) on my 2007 Custom.

I wanted simple, I wanted them close to the headlight, and I wanted no extra holes drilled.

I went to Lowes and bought some 1/4" x 3/4" Aluminum strip ($5.99).

Cut two pieces about 5" long. Drilled a 3/8" hole on both of them on one end about 1" from the end. On the other end I drilled a 5/16" hole about 1" from the end.

Removed the two bolts that holds the headlight to the tripletree. Put the strips between the headlight mount and the tripletree and then slipped the bolts back in. (Wait to tighten when you have them aligned).

Bolted the lights to the other end of the mounts.

Ran the wiring into the headlight and wired it to the turn signals. Changed the turn signal fuse from a 10amp to a 15amp. (Please don't tell me how I shouldn't have done that. The wire for the turn signal is rated up to 16 amps so it can hold the extra 8 amps needed for the headlights just fine.)

Pulled the bike up to the garage door and aligned everything, then tightened everything up.

Here are the pics.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Looks good, nice job. I'd be curious to know if you'll get much vibration evident in the beam at night, especially on bumps in the road. Maybe not much, looks like a solid enough mount. Like I said just curious. Did you wire in a switch?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Nice!!! I was looking at similar lights that are plastic housing since I live near the coast and all aftermarket parts rust. How much light do those put out? Is it significant improvement at night?
Love your engine bars, I just installed the same ones on mine. $79 delivered, right?

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good, nice job. I'd be curious to know if you'll get much vibration evident in the beam at night, especially on bumps in the road. Maybe not much, looks like a solid enough mount. Like I said just curious. Did you wire in a switch?
No switch. They come on with the bike. I guess I could wire a switch but extra lights mean extra safety. No vibration that I can tell. Had a friend go ahead of me and he didn't see them vibrating or "jumping"

Nice!!! I was looking at similar lights that are plastic housing since I live near the coast and all aftermarket parts rust. How much light do those put out? Is it significant improvement at night?
Love your engine bars, I just installed the same ones on mine. $79 delivered, right?
They are 50 watts each but I don't know how many lumens. Both of them together put out more than the low beam but they have a wider "spread". Which is nice to brighten up things on the sides of the road. And yes it is a HUGE improvement at night.

Yep same bars and at $79 what a deal !!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Those white wires when left in the breeze will eventually chafe, deteriorate and blow a fuse. Run some heat shrink or some other type of cover on them.

I'm on my second set.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those white wires when left in the breeze will eventually chafe, deteriorate and blow a fuse. Run some heat shrink or some other type of cover on them.

I'm on my second set.
I wire tied them tight to the other wires going into the headlight. And these seem to have some kind of protective "braiding" over them. But yea I might heatshrink them just to be sure.

·
Registered
742 Posts
a switch is highly recommended for any accessory that draws significant power.

don't they recommend a 20AMP fuse for installing the lights (mine did)? Where did you tap power off of?? if in the headlight, that ACCESSORY power is only rated for 10AMPS -- i found that out the hard way when i wired mine there! :)

installing the switch with a relay just means a little bit of extra wiring... i hid everything under the bottom side cover on the right side of the bike with the switch popping out the front of the top cover... worked well, but my lights were crappy poop boy cheap-o's... i need to try better ones. i know they have upgraded H3 bulbs to 100WATTS??? Anyone ever try them? too much for the system?

Q: Does anyone notice that revving the engine during taking off causing an increase in brightness?

here's the light/bracket setup on mine, and the switch... did the same thing with the aluminum but used a piece of angle channel for more rigidness. i hate the "black" of the bracket on them... i think i am gonne get the wally ones for better looks!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a switch is highly recommended for any accessory that draws significant power.

don't they recommend a 20AMP fuse for installing the lights (mine did)? Where did you tap power off of?? if in the headlight, that ACCESSORY power is only rated for 10AMPS -- i found that out the hard way when i wired mine there! :)

installing the switch with a relay just means a little bit of extra wiring... i hid everything under the bottom side cover on the right side of the bike with the switch popping out the front of the top cover... worked well, but my lights were crappy poop boy cheap-o's... i need to try better ones. i know they have upgraded H3 bulbs to 100WATTS??? Anyone ever try them? too much for the system?

Q: Does anyone notice that revving the engine during taking off causing an increase in brightness?
OK I will try to answer this.

A set of two 50watt lights will draw a max of around 8.5 amps, so no a 20 amp fuse is not necessary.

I hooked the lights to the running light wire. It is rated for over 16 amps (the wire is). I installed a 15 amp fuse. The max the lights and the running lights will draw is maybe 13 amps.

So I could have used a switch (relay) or I could have just upped the fuse from a 10 amp to a 15 amp (which I did).

If I have any problems or notice excessive heat on the wire I will lower the fuse and put in a relay.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hailrazer, do you have the brand/model of those lights? Can you get a night time picture with and without the added lights posted? It would be great to see a comparison.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yep same bars and at $79 what a deal !!!!
Where can one find this deal?

And for the mechanically-challenged among us (like me), is installation very difficult?

(Nice setup on the lights, btw...very attractive)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
hailrazer, do you have the brand/model of those lights? Can you get a night time picture with and without the added lights posted? It would be great to see a comparison.
They are the Platinum Burners QH-87CD.

A night time pic would be hard because the camera would auto adjust for the light.

Lights look great! How many amps output are the alternators rated at on your 900s. Just trying to compare it to the EN500 output (17 amps). Thanks.
The Vulcan 900 alternator puts out 32 amps.

Where can one find this deal?

And for the mechanically-challenged among us (like me), is installation very difficult?

(Nice setup on the lights, btw...very attractive)
The bars were on clearance and they don't have anymore.

It took about 15 minutes to install them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I went to Wall World to check out these lights. The price is unbeatable but after looking the lights over, I decided to pass on getting them. To prevent arguments, I will keep my opinion to myself. Again, the price is unbeatable, but they just are not for me.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Actually, I only ever see an increase of light when I hit my first stop sign here. The bike usually has just come off high idle, i have the lights and the high beam on. When my bike first comes off high idle in the cold it will burble around 8-900 rpm but when it's warm we're back up to 1000. It's the only time I see the lights brighten a bit. When My Kury meter was working none of the green lights would be lit at this time but by the next stoplight I'd have a green(nominal) light.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thanks for the info. The output on the 900 is almost twice as much on the as the EN500.
Hello PJCKM,

If you install on the 500, only run them when you are 45mph or higher and turn them off about 3 to 5 minutes before you are going to stop. Learned the hard way one day running around our small town 20 to 35mph, battery was dead after third quick stop. Also have them on the wifes bike, replaced the bulbs with LED's from homedepot
Dan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wally Lights

I installed these lights on my 900. After looking at all the wires I decided to run the wire directly to the battery. I kept the inline fuse and used the switch that came with the package. After 863 miles I have had no issues.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts