Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has just been come my attention that the max recommended added wattage for the VN900 is only 70 watts. I am currently in process of replacing my stator. I have no real proof that overloading the electrical system caused my stator to fail, but I did have a pretty good load going. I had 50w per bulb in Wally World lights and also the Napa high wattage headlight which is about 20w more than standard. All I am saying is that anyone with the Wally World lights or who wants to install them, may want to consider dropping back to 20w or 35w bulbs.

PS- I am not an electrical engineer, so take this as hearsay only.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
It has just been come my attention that the max recommended added wattage for the VN900 is only 70 watts. I am currently in process of replacing my stator. I have no real proof that overloading the electrical system caused my stator to fail, but I did have a pretty good load going. I had 50w per bulb in Wally World lights and also the Napa high wattage headlight which is about 20w more than standard. All I am saying is that anyone with the Wally World lights or who wants to install them, may want to consider dropping back to 20w or 35w bulbs.

Sounds about right. ... my cobra light bar sports 25 watt bulbs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not sure where the Wally World Lights enter in but I'm running a 100 Watt bulb in my headlight upgraded from a 60 Watt. At 12 volts the 60 Watt will pull 5 Amps and the 100 Watt will pull 8.33 Amps. The headlight fuse is spec'd at 10 Amps. It would be extremely doubtful that the system would even notice the additional 3.33 Amp load that a 100 Watt draws over a 60 Watt. Now if your light set-up adds additional lights, that might be a problem. Here's the deal P (watts) = Volts (12) * Amps or, to put it another way, P/V = A. So, divide your wattage rating by 12 (volts) to calculate you Amperage draw.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I'm curious how often you actually used your lights. It is one thing to have them installed and another to have them turned on. If you had them tied to the low beams and they were on during the daylight hours, then I can see the extra load causing the stator to be overworked. However, if you only used them when needed, I would not expect a problem unless you did a lot of night driving.

·
Registered
711 Posts
That is the reason why I bought the OEM driving lights instead of aftermarket. But some 900's are known to have premature stator problems to start with.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I'm not sure where the Wally World Lights enter in but I'm running a 100 Watt bulb in my headlight upgraded from a 60 Watt. At 12 volts the 60 Watt will pull 5 Amps and the 100 Watt will pull 8.33 Amps. The headlight fuse is spec'd at 10 Amps. It would be extremely doubtful that the system would even notice the additional 3.33 Amp load that a 100 Watt draws over a 60 Watt. Now if your light set-up adds additional lights, that might be a problem. Here's the deal P (watts) = Volts (12) * Amps or, to put it another way, P/V = A. So, divide your wattage rating by 12 (volts) to calculate you Amperage draw.
The electrical system it self may or may not have a problem with the load, but I've seen a number of bulb sockets damaged by more heat given off by higher output bulbs. FYI/YMMV.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Wally World lights running full time (hi & low beam) and I usually run high beam during the day. I want people to SEEEEEE MEEEEE!!! If they are looking the other way, maybe the heat from the lights will get their attention.:D I am going to drop back to 20W bulbs in the Wallys and that should solve my overload issues.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The rash of bad stators on the 900 originally that I remember were all with no extra load. Although many of us have had extra load on the system an equal number of folks in my recollection have just lost their stators.

In short, I think that the stator issue is not related to the extra loads as plenty of folks with no extra load have lost their stators. But I've been meaning to switch to High output LEDs since I road in front of a guy that had them on his bike and he pretty much blinded me. The high output headlight does most of the fillin in for light that I need but the triangle of my headlight and two low mounted lights makes you more noticiable and differentiates you from a car with a headlight out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does anyone have a part # for the ones at Wallyworld?????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts