Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last night I put on some new performance parts. Wow, what a difference.

- Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" hi-flow air filter
- Vance & Hines Slash Cut exhaust
- Vance & Hines Fuelpak

All told it took about 4 hours total. I worked at a very leisurely pace - so it probably could have been done in a lot less time. Also, it was about 90 degrees and 95% humidity in my garage. Overall - it didn't require any specialty tools or skills...

I finished about 1:30am and was unable to start it up since the family was sleeping so at 8:am I went for a quick ride.

Wow!! What a sound! Loud but not too loud - just right at cruising speeds.

After 15 miles (granted, a very small data point) I am pleased.
This combination exceeded my expectations.

The Big Sucker doesn't stick out that far - very comparable to stock...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Where's the pics?:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
So the V&H pipes are not to loud? I am looking for something a little more aggressive fro my pipes, but I really do not like really loud exhaust.

In your opinion, they do not have an overpowering sound level?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have the perfect tone at cruising speed. At aggressive acceleration they can be somewhat loud I guess. I was wearing my half helmet and it was music to me. I have to adjust one of my settings in the fuelpak as I was getting a little popping - nothing too bad - just a little.

If you consistently ride through your quiet neighborhood at 6am - I would probably keep the stock pipes - if not - it seems like a great upgrade.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A nice addition to the those pipes is to pull the baffles out and cut the cap off the end (the part that goes all the way into the exhaust). Makes it just a little more throaty and aggressive and actually wakes it up quite a bit when you get on it. But please, lol don't ride the bike with the baffles out. It is ungodly loud at idle and deafining when on it hard, and it sounds like crap.

·
Registered
742 Posts
...But please, lol don't ride the bike with the baffles out. It is ungodly loud at idle and deafining when on it hard, and it sounds like crap.
i just got the same bike with the V&H already on it... the previous owner removed the baffles. it is loud to say the least, but nice to let people know you are there!

i want to see if i can get the baffles from V&H in case i want an early morning or late night tide.

mibeaulieu --- how's the combo with the BAK and fuel manager?? i was thinking the same but am debating on which unit to use - cobra/commander/or the one you have...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First the BAK. You can hear the fuel pump - no problem for me. It's just nice to know up front what to expect. It looks great and is not in the way. No different from stock.

I only have 15 miles on the combo - but so far - so good. It was a piece of cake to program the maps on Fuelpak which was the difference maker. After the initial ride, I have to make one adjustment for popping - but again - should only take all of 10 mins. and V&H gives you the map and the adjustment.

·
Registered
742 Posts
sweet... i love that sound on my monte carlo when i installed the k&n CAI...

i'll look into the other mods once some dollars become available! :)

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Question!

May sound like a dumb question but can you install the Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" hi-flow air filter without having to install the fuel pack? I don't really care to change out the mufflers at this time so if I only change the air intake, I understand that it does not need a fuel pack..... Good advice :)or bad :mad:?

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you have aftermarket pipes and an after market air intake then yes you need a fuel management program (dobeck, cobra, power comander, fuelpak) If you just have pipes or if you just have the air intake then there is no need.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
They have the perfect tone at cruising speed. At aggressive acceleration they can be somewhat loud I guess. I was wearing my half helmet and it was music to me. I have to adjust one of my settings in the fuelpak as I was getting a little popping - nothing too bad - just a little.

If you consistently ride through your quiet neighborhood at 6am - I would probably keep the stock pipes - if not - it seems like a great upgrade.
Your ride looks great. Would like to hear what the pipes sound like but I'm a little far away to just swing by, LOL.
I have a question about your air cleaner element. Is it a K&N, i.e. gauze element? Does it need to be oiled? I installed a Barons with a similar filter and didn't know if I was suppose to oil it or not. I went ahead anyway figuring it couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your ride looks great. Would like to hear what the pipes sound like but I'm a little far away to just swing by, LOL.
I have a question about your air cleaner element. Is it a K&N, i.e. gauze element? Does it need to be oiled? I installed a Barons with a similar filter and didn't know if I was suppose to oil it or not. I went ahead anyway figuring it couldn't hurt.
It is a k&N style. It needs oiling I think every 30K miles or so. Not very often,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts