Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I posted a while ago I Put a Wagner 12010 headlight bulb in my V2K
and was happy with it----until I lost lo beam during 500km trip, and hi beam following day. I wouldnt tell anyone to not get one, some have, and have had luck with em. Ill try something else next time.
Has anyone wired in Kury's led battery gauge to V2K, I got one this week, deciding whether to go into headlamp or ignition, wont go battery, dont want it on all the time.
Safe fall riding to all.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Has anyone wired in Kury's led battery gauge to V2K, I got one this week, deciding whether to go into headlamp or ignition, wont go battery, dont want it on all the time.
Safe fall riding to all.
I have one tied into the fused switch for my LED's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried to start it last week and clickity click, no warning. Replaced battery, all is well. Id like a heads up next time, especially tripping.
Wires look short on this kit, wonder if 16 gauge wire ext would work as I have some. Smedlin, did you have to extend wiring?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Why a battery gauge? Are you having recurring problems with the charging system?
I have no ideal how many LED's I have on my bike. 300? Maybe more?

I originally also had my stereo tied into the same circuit. But I've since moved it off onto it's on switch.

So yea.. I wanted to monitor the health of the battery.

Wires look short on this kit, wonder if 16 gauge wire ext would work as I have some. Smedlin, did you have to extend wiring?
I really don't remember. If anything, I probably cut the wires back. I have it tied into the fused switch/circuit for the LED's, and it's right next to the toggle switch.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Tried to start it last week and clickity click, no warning. Replaced battery, all is well. Id like a heads up next time, especially tripping.
Yeah, somtimes they help give warning sometimes not. One of my car batteries failed a couple months ago. My car has a volt gauge, no problem in the morning, came out at lunch time and it was all done.

As far as extending wires Id probably us 18 ga or 16 ga just for durability but in terms of electrically you could use much, much smaller wires if you wanted. A battery voltage gauge/ monitor uses no current to speak of so wire gauge isn't much of a concern in that regard. Essentially no current draw means essentially no voltage drop so the wire can be very small strictly from that perspective.

Myself, i think you should put a very small rated fuse (like 1 amp) right wherever you tie into the electrical system. Even though the gauge pulls essentially no current (some small number of millamps, probably) the fuse prevents a possibly rubbed wire down the road from causing a bigger problem.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Picked up a battery status indicator that also acts as the connection for my battery tender. 3 led: green, yellow and red. Wired directly to the battery and is visible on the left side under the rider's seat. Simple and works great.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those status indicators are very convenient for sure.
Wired my kury gauge out of headlight with a 5A fuse [whoaru99]
smallest I could get that day.
All works fine, mounted on a leftover handlebar clamp, but might change to
batwing at some point, its very bright at night.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All runs off two wires, there is a sensor that keeps it bright during day and seems to dim it at night somewhat, long as its not directly in your line of vision its fine, for me its left handlebar closer to clutch housing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts