Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Heard about that. I'll reserve judgement on whether this is "old school 1% stuff", or just a bunch of ticked off bikers who may or may not belong to some sort of an organization and ended up shooting each other. Whether this is the start of "gangland wars" like some news organizations are reporting is yet to be seen.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Banditos and Cossacks....
They'r the real deal.

Cops were in MARKED cars in the parking lot before this started. Serious bad blood at work.

We may not see more right away or even in the same town. But, these guys aren't likely to let bygones be bygones.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I here the Banditios are all over TX .. a lot are in Houston

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Banditos and Cossacks....
They'r the real deal.

Cops were in MARKED cars in the parking lot before this started. Serious bad blood at work.

We may not see more right away or even in the same town. But, these guys aren't likely to let bygones be bygones.
Gotcha. That's what I hadn't heard yet. Although even some of the big historic 'bloodbaths' have been relatively isolated events. Not that they 'made up', but they were just smart enough to keep things from attracting too much heat.

Until anyone said who this was, I was a little leary of the "Gang wars" thought process here. Didn't want to jump to conclusions.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
our drive by media said the officers knew what was going on..and were on site when it happened

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
NPR has reported the same thing complete with statements from the officers. They were on scene complete with SWAT vans because they knew the meetup was going to happen. Imagine if they weren't, what a bloodbath.

Naturally, people are saying "why didn't they do anything in the beginning". Well, simple. They can't, nor should, do anything until it hits the fan. Otherwise were in a situation where if a bunch of bikers show up at a bar or restaraunt the police disperse everyone and send them home "just in case".

·
Registered
152 Posts
Twin peaks management knew about it, knew that rival gangs were coming and trouble would be guaranteed, but didn't want to do anything to prevent the fiasco and because Twin Peaks didn't tell the Police to do anything, by law they can't. They have to wait for a complaint or witness trouble. Shame that franchisee allowed that to happen.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
The "franchise" didn't allow it to happen. The former manager did. The CEO of the franchise pulled the sign and endorsement and said they would never open that restaurant again. The cops were there in force, since they could not get the former manager to agree to cancel the event or set it up differently. I have read somewhere that the manager is also under investigations since he allowed the event to go on and refused to listen to the police of Dist Atty. about trying to limit the trouble factor. It is sad all the other employees lost their jobs.
Amazingly and thankfully, there were no civilians or officers injured.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Last I read I understood the franchise was thinking about taking the rights from the franchisee (individual responsible for that store). I'm glad they did. Nobody deserved to be in harms way like that for sure.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Just to play the devils advocate but how exactly do you "prevent" this. Put up a "no bikers" sign? Do like some U.S. cities have done and ban the wearing of a cut/colors? Until things hit the fan, it was a group of motorcyclists coming together for a meal. Unfortunately, even if the writing is on the wall; there's only so much you CAN do. Otherwise, what, you walk up to them and say "There's a rumor that there's going to be a fight so all 200 of you bikers need to leave". I mean, obviously, they weren't in a mood to converse like gentlemen. The police were on standby but they, too, can't do anything. Assembly is a constitutional right. Until they started throwing punches and drawing weapons; everything they were doing was their protected constitutional right. It does make it tough when you, me, and everyone else knows what's about to happen, but the reality is; you just can't do anything until something happens.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to play the devils advocate but how exactly do you "prevent" this. Put up a "no bikers" sign? Do like some U.S. cities have done and ban the wearing of a cut/colors? Until things hit the fan, it was a group of motorcyclists coming together for a meal. Unfortunately, even if the writing is on the wall; there's only so much you CAN do. Otherwise, what, you walk up to them and say "There's a rumor that there's going to be a fight so all 200 of you bikers need to leave". I mean, obviously, they weren't in a mood to converse like gentlemen. The police were on standby but they, too, can't do anything. Assembly is a constitutional right. Until they started throwing punches and drawing weapons; everything they were doing was their protected constitutional right. It does make it tough when you, me, and everyone else knows what's about to happen, but the reality is; you just can't do anything until something happens.
Exactly.

Well said.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Alright, you're point is valid sir. For some reason I thought there was a history with these groups that should have barred them from being able to return but that based on some incomplete information. Even if that was the case, they would have found another meeting place, maybe even one as public but with no one prepared. I guess there is no right answer.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That is possible. My understanding (which is only that); is that this was a meeting of the local Federation of Clubs. These meetings happen all the time in areas like this where all of the major dominant clubs (at least, and perhaps others) will come together. There were rumors something was going to go down, the police were on standby. I suppose the restaurant could've said "You can't reserve a room", but they might've gone anyway, or found somewhere else. My point is, I don't think the restaurant should be held liable for allowing a civic organization to use their facilities. It's not like they were selling tickets to the fight and placing bets. If they were, that changes things. But until it hit the fan, all it was was a normal, routine meeting of several clubs that happened regularly with a RUMOR that it was going to get ugly. Those rumors probably happen a lot. But sometimes, rumors end up true.

Same with the cops on standby, ,practically surrounding the place. That's a good, and reasonable tactic to a credible threat of something bad happening. But arresting them pre-maturely or making them disperse violates their rights. Obviously, their rights ended when the knives, guns, and fists came out. I'm hearing repeatedly that all or most of the 9 dead were killed by police. They were definitely a hare trigger away from reacting.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Well, I mentioned the police because many news commenters are asking why the police were there in full force but didn't "stop them" before the fight broke out.

Stop them from what? Riding motorcycles? Conversing peacefully? Assembling under the protections of the First Amendment? Like it or not, UNTIL things went south, there's nothing law enforcement could or should have done.

So yeah I agree, I think they handled things well. Lots of visible force to attempt to deter a potential crime, and swift action when it failed to deter it; but falling short of rounding them up before anyone had committed a crime and violating their rights.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts