Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what the manual says to tale off for a rear tire change (pretty much the whole rear end), but that is the easiest way to change the rear tire?

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know what the manual says to tale off for a rear tire change (pretty much the whole rear end), but that is the easiest way to change the rear tire?
Easiest way? Get someone else to do it:):). Actually I just pop off the saddlebags (3 bolts each), jack up the bike then everything else is pretty straight forward. I have heard of someone that said to remove the rear shocks from one end and jack up the swingarm to provide clearance for the axle removal. I just do the bag mount on the LH side and pull the LH muffler. But I have a long wrench that I can get inside the RH muffler.

·
Registered
369 Posts
you definitely need a nice motorcycle jack that can raise your bike high enough to clear the rear fender. you'll have to remove the left muffler and remove the cross pipe that goes across the 2 saddle bag mounds. remove the left side saddle bag mount. in order to do this you'll have to take off some trim around the trunk, not all of it but once you get into it you'll see how much you have to remove in order to get to a couple saddlebag mount bolts. once you've done this you'll be able to pull the axle out the left side.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Long Wrench

Easiest way? Get someone else to do it:):). Actually I just pop off the saddlebags (3 bolts each), jack up the bike then everything else is pretty straight forward. I have heard of someone that said to remove the rear shocks from one end and jack up the swingarm to provide clearance for the axle removal. I just do the bag mount on the LH side and pull the LH muffler. But I have a long wrench that I can get inside the RH muffler.
Tell me about this long wrench for the RH side. Can you torque with it?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tell me about this long wrench for the RH side. Can you torque with it?
Not to take over the thread, but just take out the two bolts for the right side muffler and it will drop down far enough to get in an extention for a socket for the axle nut. Then you can torque it when you put it back on.

Also I made a motorcycle jack for less then $10. One 2x8 ten foot long at lowes and a couple pieces of scrap shelf boards. Just slip the two 3 ft boards under the bike and 2 of the 1 ft board under the high side (opposite the side stand)
Then push up on the low side of the bike and slip in the 2 boards on that side. then do the same for the 1 inch board. Its really stable and with the boards to the back there is weight on the front wheel so it won't tip when you take off the back wheel. I just used a couple plastic wedges under the tire to hold it in place taking the axle out and putting it back in.

Its only hard the first time, lol. Gl, I'm sure you will be fine and happy about not paying the dealer $75 an hour and you know its done right when you do it yourself.

James

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tire Change

I am in the middle of the rear tire change. Followed the service manual to a tee and it took me about 45 minutes to take off the bags, bag mounts and right side pipe. No issues pulling the wheel once the interference was removed. Probably not the easy way but as this is my first time, I wanted to follow the book. Taking the tire to a V-twin service shop as my "stealer" would not touch a tire purchased from an online dealer. I went with the Dunlap Elite 3 and as it was not an exact size match, the only tire they would put on was the stock replacement. Along with that they wanted about $150 over my combined costs for the tire plus the mount and balancing costs.

I was a bit upset as I am one of their pit-pass (full maintenance for 3 years) members as part of the purchase and it made no difference. The dealer said that you can't bring your own eggs to restaurant and expect them to cook them. I replied, no but you choose not to go to that restaurant ever again!

Test ride Thursday!

Bob

·
Registered
765 Posts
I called my dealer asking about a rear tire change and he tole me to go online, find the best price and bring it to him. I found the ME880 180/70-16 for $195.00 shipped and he said his cost is around $225.00 so he told me to have the tire shipped to the shop and he will install.

He charges 75.00 if you supply the tire, 55.00 if they do.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would have gladly paid the up charge - but an outright refusal was not real customer friendly!
Bob

·
Registered
217 Posts
I would have gladly paid the up charge - but an outright refusal was not real customer friendly!
Bob
He acts like hes the only dealer in town... I hope hes not! My dealer will mount and balance for $30 no matter where I buy the tire, and Motorcycle Superstore here will do it for $15.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A note on changing the rear tire...i can have mine off in less than 15 minutes once the bike is lifted and secured...remove the bags and the rear shocks....the axle bolt can the be removed above the exhaust...you do have to get the bike way off the ground on a good lift...any tire shop(discount/belle) will mount it for you for 15 bucks.... have the m/c shop balance it then

·
Registered
120 Posts
Tire Change Completed - no trans/belt whine

Had the Dunlap E3 mounted and balanced yesterday and put it back on the bike. Liked the shock removal method instead of removing the interference. I put everything back once the tire was mounted and pulled the shocks to see the clearance. Suggest a torque wrench as a basic tool for reassembly. I used the HD belt tool to set the belt to 1.5 increments at 10#. Worked like a champ - no transmission and belt whine.

Test road the E3 and once I had it roughed up a bit, I put it through the paces and that tire is great - very stable and sticky. Like it better then the stock tire.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts