Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning for the second time on my '11 VV I found that my clock, trip meters, average MPG reading and distance remaining for the tank all got reset. The first time it happened I brushed it off as I had been under the seat for the first time and looking at some of the layout in there including familiarizing myself with the fuses just before. Figured I bumped something. But the second time (today) it was after I had done a 20 mile run to a dentist appointment (yay) and had the bike sit for about an hour. Came back out to start it up and all was reset. Nothing under the seat had been touched this time. Anyone else seen anything similar with their bikes? I'm taking this in tonight for the initial 600 mile maintenance (took me a damn lot longer than I wanted to finally get to this point... too busy to ride) and I was going to ask the shop to look around and see if they could find anything. Only mods that have been done are an OEM rear speaker install which was just plugging into the factory speaker wires and a Grasshopper backrest.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Resets like that sound like the battery was disconnected. Short somewhere, maybe?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Maybe a loose battery cable.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If the battery connections are solid I would have your dealer or tech check the wiring harness for continuity (good connection). The ECU or microprocessor will have a constant connection to the battery to maintain memory contents. This line or wire may even be called "memory".

·
Registered
286 Posts
My pos battery connection came loose on me just a few weeks ago.
Must spend too much time texting. First read I did not get positive terminal out of pos;)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did it reset after you started the bike? You may have a bad battery and it may be taking everything the battery has to start the bike and basically "disconnecting" the display. I know the bike is 2011 model but I have seen new batteries go bad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding loose cables... it's at the dealer now and I expect that is one of the first things they'll check. Will look myself when I get it back if they don't find anything.

Possible weak battery... starting up doesn't sound like it, there is plenty of spin in the starter. I've also got a Suzuki Intruder 1400 and this bike will spit a battery back at you if it even gets marginally bad, so I'm familiar with signs to look for in that area. (Side note, the Intruder has a decompression system to help let the engine spin up when starting... do these long stroke 1700's have anything similar or are the starter and battery just that beefy?) I did notice that at least once when starting it that after started the red dash indicator stayed on for a bit (5, 10 seconds tops) with the battery icon lit. This does play into the possible bad battery or a weak battery stealing all the juice to start the bike. It is a 2011 that was pulled out of the crate for initial prep the day before I picked it up in late July, but if memory serves the batteries don't always come in the new bikes? At any rate, I haven't been able to link up the two incidents to any possible run-downs, and when I'm riding the bike it's almost always a 15+ mile highway speed trip not counting stops for gas. I would think that would be a good enough to replenish power lost from starting. Did make two quick 2-3 mile jumps later today, no problems after either of those.

In the end I've got plenty of warranty on this bike so I don't have any problem telling the dealer to make it right. So glad I'm at least finally out of the recommended first 500 mile break-in and can start opening it up some more. Thanks all, will return here with any updates.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Regarding loose cables... it's at the dealer now and I expect that is one of the first things they'll check. Will look myself when I get it back if they don't find anything.

Possible weak battery... starting up doesn't sound like it, there is plenty of spin in the starter. I've also got a Suzuki Intruder 1400 and this bike will spit a battery back at you if it even gets marginally bad, so I'm familiar with signs to look for in that area. (Side note, the Intruder has a decompression system to help let the engine spin up when starting... do these long stroke 1700's have anything similar or are the starter and battery just that beefy?) I did notice that at least once when starting it that after started the red dash indicator stayed on for a bit (5, 10 seconds tops) with the battery icon lit. This does play into the possible bad battery or a weak battery stealing all the juice to start the bike. It is a 2011 that was pulled out of the crate for initial prep the day before I picked it up in late July, but if memory serves the batteries don't always come in the new bikes? At any rate, I haven't been able to link up the two incidents to any possible run-downs, and when I'm riding the bike it's almost always a 15+ mile highway speed trip not counting stops for gas. I would think that would be a good enough to replenish power lost from starting. Did make two quick 2-3 mile jumps later today, no problems after either of those.

In the end I've got plenty of warranty on this bike so I don't have any problem telling the dealer to make it right. So glad I'm at least finally out of the recommended first 500 mile break-in and can start opening it up some more. Thanks all, will return here with any updates.
yes, the 1700 have weights of the camshaft sprocket that open and close during starting for easy start. as far as your resetting problem, I'm looking at different possibilities that could cause this problem. try checking your fuse initially.ill get back with you if i find anything

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shop called me, bad battery. Apparently what I accepted as "normal" cranking was actually slow when compared with a fresh battery. Never had any problems getting it started though. Will be keeping tabs on it to make sure the root cause was a problem battery and not a problem charging system. Thanks all for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts