Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those passengers that are not wild about the "moving" backrest, you can give them another 2 inches of room by removing all that rubber shock absorber nonsense mounted on the back of the backrest. take ALL the mounting hardware off (requires taking the staples off all along the bottom so you can get into the pan).

There are 3 shock absorber mounts on the backrest pan, and two foam pads stuck to the lower outside edges on the lid. You will se them...

You will need to put in longer bolts (1 1/2 inch 4/20) about 1 1/2 inch below the stock holes through the backrest pan that the shock rubber thing mounts to. Align the new bolt holes to the male end bolt on the shock absorber. When you see it you will know what I am talking about. A weird set up... Flat washers and Gorilla glue just to keep the bolt coming thorough the pan tacked. . Put it all back together, bolt it back in place, tighten the nuts just enough to hold the backrest, it does not take much pressure to keep it in place. , and you now have a rigid mount to the box lid that is 2 inches farther back and the wife says it is more comfortable. I also changed the angle of the backrest by putting those two foam pads that I took off the lower edge of the box (bottom outside ends attached to the lid) and put them on the top and it sits more upright. The wife was complaining that the backrest leans to the rear way too much.

About a 30-40 minute project. You need a GOOD staple gun to get the staples back into the pan as it is harder plastic than most seat pans I have seen.

Looking at it you cannot see much difference other than all that "gap" is gone and it is no longer squishy.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
The rubber shock absorber nonsense you refer to came about from the prototype rides the journalists and enthusiasts took. They reported vibration in the backrest that was transferred to the passenger.

Does your passenger notice any additional vibration without the dampers?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wife (5-8 115 pounds) says its no worse than what she got with the Venture all those years, she has 3 scoots of her own by the way) and she likes the angle a lot better the way I have it now.... not leaning backwards, she did not like that from the start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts