Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, am I doing something wrong here? I've got a handlebar mount for my Garmin GPS and am trying to power it via the auto cigarette lighter adapter plugged into the right side accessory socket. Damn thing keeps popping out of the socket while riding. Because the adapter steps the voltage down to 5v there are electronics for this in the plug itself. It makes it a little long and I'm guessing the extra mass is what is helping to vibrate the plug out of the socket. Eventual plan is a hardwire using a Gilsson adapter (GUSB5V-B) like I've done on my Suzuki Intruder and my car, but until them I'm trying to make do with the accessory plug adapter I've got... which obviously isn't going well. Anyone have any tips here?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have that same problem with my phone charger. It's very rare when I use it but when I do I just push it back in every few minutes. If you could make the spring tension stronger, that would help. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Gilsson wire is definitely the cleanest solution. I even took the extra effort to remove the outer fairing and wire it in tightly so nothing moves under the hood. Only problem is if it blows the 1A fuse in the wire, I'll have to remove the fairing to fix it. Had this wire for 3 full seasons on my 900 without issue, and almost a full season now on the VV1700.

For a 5V cigarette plug connection, I wired a dual plug unit into the trunk, connected to the Aux leads under the seat. I don't use the Right Side plug at all. Works very well for charging the iphone and helmet comm system, but wouldn't be practical for handlebar mounted GPS. The Gilsson is req'd for that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ersterhernd, since you've already got one of these wired up do you remember where you tapped for power? Looking at the fuses I didn't see anything standing out as a aux connector like was conveniently available on my Intruder so I'm guessing I'll either need to tap into something existing or go right off the battery. I try to avoid cutting/tapping the wiring harness whenever possible but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Thanks!

In the meantime the thought crossed my mind of adding a rubber band wrapped around the plug above the side contacts. (further away from the center contact) Idea being it could either deaden some of the vibration or just create additional friction between the plug and socket.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ok, am I doing something wrong here? I've got a handlebar mount for my Garmin GPS and am trying to power it via the auto cigarette lighter adapter plugged into the right side accessory socket. Damn thing keeps popping out of the socket while riding. Because the adapter steps the voltage down to 5v there are electronics for this in the plug itself. It makes it a little long and I'm guessing the extra mass is what is helping to vibrate the plug out of the socket. Eventual plan is a hardwire using a Gilsson adapter (GUSB5V-B) like I've done on my Suzuki Intruder and my car, but until them I'm trying to make do with the accessory plug adapter I've got... which obviously isn't going well. Anyone have any tips here?
I use a elastic hair tie. I put it around the plug and them open the small door right above the plug and put it on a little nipple on the door lid and then close the lid. Works great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had my gps plugged into the accessory plug in for 2 years now. No problems. Not sure why your having a problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I plug it in, then run the cord into the storage compartment (keeping pressure on the plug) lock the door, and run the cord to the device. Works for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ersterhernd, since you've already got one of these wired up do you remember where you tapped for power? Looking at the fuses I didn't see anything standing out as a aux connector like was conveniently available on my Intruder so I'm guessing I'll either need to tap into something existing or go right off the battery. I try to avoid cutting/tapping the wiring harness whenever possible but sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Thanks!
The AUX connectors in the fairing are located under the left corner of the sound system. I ran my Gilsson wire zip-tied along the left handlebar, down through the center hole of the inner fairing (at the front of the frame) and securely into position inside the fairing. I soldered two bullet style connectors to the ends of the Gilsson wire and they plug directly into the Accessory Power connectors, one is pos and one is ground. You can see the connectors in the photo below if you look closely, directly underneath the large cluster of wires on the upper right of the sound system. This pic was taken before I ran the Gilsson wire.

The only thing I would do differently is position the Gilsson wire fuse box (located midway in the wire) near the left side fairing pocket. That way, if the fuse ever blows, simply remove the inner pocket on the left side to get at the fuse.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
For all those 12 volt plugs I have always had that refused to stay plugged I ether:

1. Used needle nose pliers to tweak (bend) the ground strips out just a hair or twist them a hair to make them more snug in the socket.

2. Just past the ground strips on the wire end, wrap electrical tape (single line) around it until it fits tightly in the socket. Usually it take no more that 3 or for turns.

After that they always stay put...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take a plastic coffee stir stick and fold it in half put it in the empty socket then push in your power plug. It will not vibrate out any more, stock up on those plastic stir sticks, I have a half dozen in the trunk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts