Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the Kuryakyn Pilot Grips with Throttle Boss on their VV1700? If so where did you get them? I can only find them on Harley sites...

I know the HD grips fit all my Yamaha's no problem and vice versa, is this Kawi the same?

I can always go to the Pro One chromed with rubber ribs like before. They were very comfortable....

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyone have the Kuryakyn Pilot Grips with Throttle Boss on their VV1700? If so where did you get them? I can only find them on Harley sites...

I know the HD grips fit all my Yamaha's no problem and vice versa, is this Kawi the same?

I can always go to the Pro One chromed with rubber ribs like before. They were very comfortable....
I have them on my 2010 voyager. I got them from motorcycle superstore.
They said for 1" grips, they were for Harley. Here is what I did to make them fit.
Removed throttle sleeve from pilot grip.
Then removed the left grip from bike, cut off the large screw from left side of handle bar. I used a hack saw but a dremel cut off wheel would have worked better to cut out the welds. You have to remove that bolt end or the grip would not go all the way on. Then on the throttle side I removed the stock rubber and chrome ring but left the throttle sleeve on. Then I had to cut that end too. First I cut off only the plastic screw end but the grip did not go all the way on. So then I cut the end of the throttle sleeve just about 1/8 of an inch.
Still with me?
Ok, when you cut the plastic only cut enough to remove the end and leave enough room that the metal handle bar does not stick out past the plastic. After that the grip will go on and stay with out glue.

I was going to leave the chrome plastic ring on the throttle sleeve but I did not like the difference between that round ring and the oblong end on the grip. So there was a space between the chrome on the grip and the switch housing. You could see the white throttle sleeve. So I used a black sharpie and made it black.

I will tell you that it was some work but I really like the feel of them. I have had the iso grips on my last two bikes and I like these more and everyone has the iso and I have not seen the pilot grips on another bike.
And I'm the only one with them on a VV, unless you decide to copy me :D

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I like the look of them. I have the ISO's on my other scooters. Never cared much for them. Pro Ones are 2 inches longer than the stock grip which I like cause I have bear paw size hands.

I feel like I am holding toothpicks with the stock grips.

So the left grip does screw on then...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I like the look of them. I have the ISO's on my other scooters. Never cared much for them. Pro Ones are 2 inches longer than the stock grip which I like cause I have bear paw size hands.

I feel like I am holding toothpicks with the stock grips.

So the left grip does screw on then...
If you are talking about the stock grip then yeah kinda, the chrome plastic end cap screws on and the rubber is glued on. The end cap is reverse thread, turn to the right to loosen. IIRC.

The pilot grips are the same size or a little shorter than the stock grips in length but a little bigger in diameter. I think that they are a lot more comfortable than the stock. If you are looking for longer grips, do a google search for avon motorcycle grips. My wife has them on he bike and they are very nice too.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmmmmmmmm... you just wanna be the only one with Pilot grips...;)

I will have a look at the other ones too. I am not set in stone in want I want yet. Those Pro Ones look awfull uncomfortable but they are the most comfortable I ever had, and I have had tons of them. I would wear out a set of stock HD grips on my Patrol motorcycle in less than 4 months. Same on my Venture with stock grips and the ISO grips but it would take a little over a year. The chrome Pro ONe with rubber strips were still good when I traded it in, and they were on there about 7 years. They looked worn but still functional. I put the Kyurakin throttle boss on them and the pointed end caps. Which would poke the crap outta me every now and then.

The Motorcycle Super Store has them too. But when I got them they were only 49 bucks, not 120 bucks like now.....
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/121/23119/ITEM/Pro-One-Custom-Handlebar-Grips.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmm... you just wanna be the only one with Pilot grips...;)

I will have a look at the other ones too. I am not set in stone in want I want yet. Those Pro Ones look awfull uncomfortable but they are the most comfortable I ever had, and I have had tons of them. I would wear out a set of stock HD grips on my Patrol motorcycle in less than 4 months. Same on my Venture with stock grips and the ISO grips but it would take a little over a year. The chrome Pro ONe with rubber strips were still good when I traded it in, and they were on there about 7 years. They looked worn but still functional. I put the Kyurakin throttle boss on them and the pointed end caps. Which would poke the crap outta me every now and then.

The Motorcycle Super Store has them too. But when I got them they were only 49 bucks, not 120 bucks like now.....
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/13/121/23119/ITEM/Pro-One-Custom-Handlebar-Grips.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch
Those look real nice too........but about about twice the amount I paid for the pilot grips. But if you get 7 years then that is money well spent.

And yes I do want to be the ONLY VV with pilot grips.....but will settle to be the only one west of the Mississippi. :)

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We would put Venture stock grips on our HD Road King Patrol bikes because they were 1/4 the cost and would last a little longer. Don't get me wrong, the Harley's were fine, but unlike the Harley's, this Voyager CAN get out of it's own way. Not to mention a decent little 2nd gear wheelie. (by accident of course) :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts