Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Vulcan 900 custom and I get a vibration throughout the bike at an indicated 70mph and I was just wondering if this is something that others have encountered and if there is a fix or is it the nature of the beast, it is just annoying as if your whole body is tingling. Any help would be appreciated. My last ride was a Goldwing and it was silky smooth to100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2010 Vulcan 900 custom and I get a vibration throughout the bike at an indicated 70mph and I was just wondering if this is something that others have encountered and if there is a fix or is it the nature of the beast, it is just annoying as if your whole body is tingling. Any help would be appreciated. My last ride was a Goldwing and it was silky smooth to100.
I had a similar problem with a 2009 Vulcan 900 right after getting two new tires put on it. They went and rebalanced the tires. That didn't work. They changed the front tire again and now the vibrations not starting till about 75 mph. If you hadn't changed tires perhaps it will wait light up falling off? Or another guy told me to check the fluid in the forks. Anyway on the 30th I have an appointment to bring my bike back to have them recheck the tires. Hope that helps.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
The buzziness is due to the high revs that you are running at 70 mph. The way to fix this is to put the front and rear Barons pulleys on the bike. This increases your final drive by about 11.5%. If you will go to gearingcommander.com and select your bike, you will see that this pulley change, front and back, reduces the rpm's by 475 at 70mph and 500 at 75 mph. I have both pulleys on my bike and it is a huge change.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The buzziness is due to the high revs that you are running at 70 mph. The way to fix this is to put the front and rear Barons pulleys on the bike. This increases your final drive by about 11.5%. If you will go to gearingcommander.com and select your bike, you will see that this pulley change, front and back, reduces the rpm's by 475 at 70mph and 500 at 75 mph. I have both pulleys on my bike and it is a huge change.
5th gear @70mph = 4000RPM. that is not high rev by any means for this type of engine (short stroke, shortest in it's class).
@Barry Dupler: if the vibrations change in intensity and frequency if you go slower or faster (just 5mph), I would suspect a tire balance issue.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I seriously doubt that there is any modification or way that a Kawi Vulcan 900 would ever be as smooth at highway speeds and revs as a Gold Wing, with its inherently balanced opposed cylinder engine design.

·
Registered
52 Posts
5th gear @70mph = 4000RPM. that is not high rev by any means for this type of engine (short stroke, shortest in it's class).
I agree, it's not too high for the engine itself but the higher the revs, the more the vibration in this engine. That 4000 rpm at 70 turns into approx 3500 with the pulley change and it is definitely a noticeable difference. Just because the engine red lines at over 7000 rpm's doesn't mean I want to stay there all day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advise, I known that it is not a tire balance problem because I spent over 20 years at Firestone diagnoising tire problems on car, trucks, and even motorcycles before the Bridgestone merger. It is not a vibration that upsets the bike, more of a tingle throughout the whole bike, my wife says that she doesn't mind it at all, I may be feeling something that a v-twin just does, my last v-twin was sold in 1968 and was a Harley that never stopped vibrating, I probably just got spoiled by my multies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have aftermarket pipes? I found when I first put my Vance & Hines pipes on that I had a buzz around 70 in 5th from the pipes being hard mounted to the frame rather than bushing mounted like the OEM pipes, I reworked the bracket, added some bushings, and the buzz was gone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
more vibes.

I went out on my 2012 900 Classic the other day and came back wanting to trade it in. The usual vibes seemed to have got much worse and all the road imperfections were making the bike vibrate through the tank, really bad. I was wearing my Shark helmet and had my Puig California screen on. Since it's been uncharacteristically hot here in blighty I thought I'd take the screen off for some cooling breeze.
I noticed as I was taking the screen off that one of my fork stanchion top covers was loose, so I added a washer to tighten things up a bit.
I went back out later in the day, wearing my Caberg helmet and without the screen. Talk about a different ride. Most of the buzzing and road noise was gone, and the bike felt smoother and quieter, almost like a new bike. The loose cover was causing the screen to vibrate in sympathy with the engine and adding an amplifying effect to the noise from the road. Like chalk and cheese...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I bought the bike it vance and hines pipes and a full fairing so that both of the suggestions above may be a place to start, whoever had the bike before spent a whole lot of $$$$$ on it, the bike was well taken care of and looks and runs better than when it left the dealer, I may be nit picking here but I will check the pipes, and the fairing. I have checked the bolts on the exhaust for tightness and I don't remember any rubber isolators. As far as the fairing I have never rode it with out it, but it is quick disconnect so no big problem there. Thanks for all the input this forum is the best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was concerned about the same on my 2007 900, I asked a "Ol Timey mechanic about that very thing, he told me it's the way they set up the crank compared to the old 900's.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Has any one used the liquid "Ride On" to help smooth out these kinds of problems? My understanding is it dynamically balances the tire and prevents small punctures from deflating the tire. They say it even works for tube type tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts